Update: Spanish B-Ball Team Controversy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted August 14, 2008 - 01:14 PM

In a recent Spanish soccer match they make monkey sounds and throw banana's onto the feild when black English players get the ball. Anyone remembers that?

Racism sadly still exists.

Yes, I remember that.

Just because some Spaniards are racist, it doesn't mean they all are.

I really didn't expect this. they apologized and said they weren't trying to make fun of the asians. THe chinese have accepted the apology. Why aren't you.

Because people are either too soft or like to complain. Possibly both.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#22 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 14, 2008 - 01:19 PM

^ Well I don't know about you, but I'm hard.

#23 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,684 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 14, 2008 - 01:39 PM

In a recent Spanish soccer match they make monkey sounds and throw banana's onto the feild when black English players get the ball. Anyone remembers that?

Racism sadly still exists.

Of course it exists!
But Spain is not the first, and that is what the english newspaper insinuated.
We have black players here in the soccer league and we don't have any problems.
And I saw that match (england-spain) Rooney tried to beat Casillas (spain goalkeeper) that was a crazy and rare match. And there were racist people in that match.
But this incident is being pumped up by the press. And I remind you, I live in Spain, and I haven't seen that picture, so the exposure was really low, compared to what is happening now.
Posted Image

#24 GlockFotay

GlockFotay

Don't you wish your boyfriend is as HOT like me?

• 742 posts
  • Fan Since:The GW Forum days.
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted August 14, 2008 - 02:43 PM

The picture will be running throughout the whole Olympics. Pick up a copy, it may be a collector's item.

Posted Image

Yes, I need to update this banner...Let's go Lakers!!!

#25 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted August 14, 2008 - 03:23 PM

Of course it exists!
But Spain is not the first, and that is what the english newspaper insinuated.
We have black players here in the soccer league and we don't have any problems.
And I saw that match (england-spain) Rooney tried to beat Casillas (spain goalkeeper) that was a crazy and rare match. And there were racist people in that match.
But this incident is being pumped up by the press. And I remind you, I live in Spain, and I haven't seen that picture, so the exposure was really low, compared to what is happening now.

Look, I hope you've seen that I've tried to be reasonable all through this thread, but black players in the Spanish league HAVE been racially attacked. Samuel Eto'o for one.

There is going to be some racism everywhere, but it's alot more evident in the Spanish league. I definitely think that some Americans use the "Spanish Football is racist" line too much. Nearly every single game is fine, but there have been times when racism has occured.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#26 BringDFishBack

BringDFishBack

Rookie

• 140 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Jordan Farmar & Derek Fisher

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:18 PM

WHO [expletive]ING CARES. Everyone is making such a big deal out of nothing.

#27 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 14, 2008 - 07:41 PM

^ Please stop complaining.

#28 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted August 15, 2008 - 06:05 AM

Saw on the news that Jason Kidd said that if the roles were reversed and that the US team was doing this, that heads would roll and it would be a HUGE incident. Jason Kidd feels that theres a double standard going on-

Of course there is, as most racial sensitivities have been whipped up right here in these united states.

#29 Sakata Gintoki

Sakata Gintoki

Rookie

• 103 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted August 15, 2008 - 09:15 AM

USA should [expletive], they´re the less indicated to talk about racism. Now USA is critising Spain a lot for that photo. But 2 years ago:

Posted Image

World Cup of Japan of 2006, USA did the militar salute when they received the bronze medal, humilliating and offending the japanese who still remember well what happened in the 2nd World War. And New York Times (who´re blaming Spain for that photo) said ''patriotic USA received bronze badge''

And a lol thing, chinese ppl didn´t get offended by that photo; for what´s happening it look Spain is blaming USA ppl and not China ppl.

Posted Image
Nobody called Ronaldo racist when he did that photo.

Posted Image
Chris Webber #4, Brad Miller #52 and Darius Songaila #25 of the Sacramento Kings pose for a photograph while on a tour of the Great Wall of China in conjunction with the NBA China Games between the Houston Rockets and the Sacramento Kings in Beijing, China on October 15, 2004.
They did the same Spain did with that photo and nobody said nothing to them.

Everybody should stop talking about that photo (yeah, Spain did a stupid mistake, but USA has done tons of similar stupid mistakes so they aren´t the ones to signal Spain and call them racists), and focus in the pure sport. Tomorrow we have USA-Spain, the match between the 2 best national teams, Bryant vs Gasol, the ''advanced final''.

PD: To the guys to say ''Gasol should leave Lakers 'cause he did a stupid photo'', Bryant did a lot of more serious mistakes and you still cheer him. Gasol is an awesome player, a great Laker, and you should be proud of have a excellent player in the team. Remember we never would have reached the finals without Gasol.

Edited by Sakata Gintoki, August 15, 2008 - 09:18 AM.

#30 LkrsOvrMia 2

LkrsOvrMia 2

Rookie

• 40 posts
  • Fav. Laker:This is a team sport!

Posted August 15, 2008 - 05:58 PM

I'm so over this.

Offensive yes, but worthy of a thread? "Hell no!"

Edited by LkrsOvrMia 2, August 15, 2008 - 05:59 PM.

"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."

#31 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 15, 2008 - 06:04 PM

Wow, we're still talking about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users