• 13,349 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:47 AM

MVP candidates often sport Battier-like qualities
By Rob Peterson, NBA.com
Posted Feb 20 2009 2:58PM

If it weren't for the NBA trade deadline and all the talk surrounding it, this article by Michael Lewis in last Sunday's New York Times magazine, about the underappreciated value of Houston Rockets forward Shane Battier, would have been the most talked about story of the week.

Lewis, the author of Moneyball, the most argued over (maybe most misunderstood) sports book ever, interviews Battier and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, who works to apply the principles outlined in Moneyball -- a book about finding value in underappreciated players in baseball -- to basketball. The story, unlike any of the trades this week, is a blockbuster.

http://www.nba.com/2...0220/index.html

Rankings

1. Lebron James
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwight Howard
4. Dwyane Wade
5. Chris Paul
6. Tim Duncan
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Brandon Roy
9. Dirk Nowitzki
10. Pau Gasol

Edited by Saber, February 21, 2009 - 04:42 AM.

#2 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 21, 2009 - 05:18 AM

It's either Lebron or KB24, and nobody else is even close...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#3 Domo

Domo

Based

• 1,001 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:29 AM

Regardless of the stats, MVP will be decided on the better record, that's the only thing that will separate Kobe and LeBron. I'm glad to see Pau finally break into the top 10.

Edited by A.W.O.L., February 21, 2009 - 07:29 AM.

#4 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Very good list. Pau is definitely deserving as a candidate. The best Power Forward in the league this year.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#5 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:20 AM

Lebron is going to win it this year. Everyone is hanging on his sack so I don't see why he's not going to win. Well, maybe unless if the Cavs start a nasty losing streak.

#6 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Very good list. Pau is definitely deserving as a candidate. The best Power Forward in the league this year.

I agree

Posted Image

#7 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:23 PM

Regardless of the stats, MVP will be decided on the better record, that's the only thing that will separate Kobe and LeBron.

I don't think so. If the Cavs are within a few games of the Lakers, I think LBJ takes it.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#8 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:33 PM

This guy makes it seem like he's riding LeBron's nuts. When this R2MVP was posted Kobe just came off monstrous games and wins over the Cavs and Celtics while LeBron was just being a stat whore.

This guy's inability to move Kobe to the no.1 spot even for a little while is ridiculous. Now that LeBron got his 55-point game I know for sure Kobe won't be no.1 for a while.

But realistically, I think the player who has the better team record at the end of the season will win the MVP.

Edited by KuYa JL, February 21, 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Made By Vaporize

#9 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,871 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 21, 2009 - 04:15 PM

Totally agree with you lakerfool.

I'd take it a couple steps further and evenn with bias aside, I'd put Pau above Duncan at this moment. (Billups would be dang close to number 3 as well).

I do think the race between Kobe and LeBron is within millimeters right now though. For my money (and after games like last night's it stands to reason) Kobe would be my top pick by a hair.

I agree with ya KuYa - the player's team with the best record takes home the MVP.

1) Kobe Bryant
1.5) LeBron James
3) Dwight Howard
4) Dwayne Wade
5) Chauncey Billups
6) Pau Gasol
7) Tim Duncan
8) Chris Paul
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Shaquille O'Neal

#10 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 21, 2009 - 04:41 PM

Disagree about the best record = mvp. If the Cavs get 60+ wins and LeBron continues to play at around his average, the award is his, unless the Lakers can pull off the 70 win mark (or at least 68) with at least a +5 over the Cavs. Just the fact that Pau can be considered as an MVP candidate will probably diminish Kobe's value in the eyes of the voters.

#11 Shade

Shade

Dunk like Machine! Bynum loves DESTROY!!

• 538 posts
  • Fan Since:FOREEEVERRR!!
  • Fav. Laker:Bynum, KB, Sasha and everyone!

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:03 PM

But realistically, I think the player who has the better team record at the end of the season will win the MVP.

I guess I have to agree with that. But it looks like that this year, its going to be different.
Lakers 72-10=Kobe MVP :D

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#12 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:35 PM

Lebron is going to win it this year. Everyone is hanging on his sack so I don't see why he's not going to win. Well, maybe unless if the Cavs start a nasty losing streak.

Let's Hope Kobe Will Win This Year.
Young Kobe Is Back,
Their Is Possibility That Kobe Will Win,
Let see What Happen.

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:39 PM

the MVP is the kiss of death IMO because it is the (what player does his team rely the most on)

which usually means someone who the offense is run through and in the age of box and 1's and zones that means your team is easy to defend

we saw it with the lakers last season since kobe was 95% of who are offense started through

and we see it this season with lebron

you run your offense through one player all the defense has to do is force others to make plays for themselves

kobe winning 2 would be cool considering there was a point where a lot of people questioned if he would win 1 but not necessary

kobe needs a finals MVP not another regular season MVP
Posted Image

#14 Shade

Shade

• 538 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:53 PM

kobe needs a finals MVP not another regular season MVP

I agree last stand. That's exactly what he needs. He has a season MVP award and now, it's time for the bigger one, The Finals MVP award and another chip to add to his collection

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#15 offtheheezy

offtheheezy

Off The Bench

• 2,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fish

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:55 PM

I agree last stand. That's exactly what he needs. He has a season MVP award and now, it's time for the bigger one, The Finals MVP award and another chip to add to his collection

what if he loses and gets the final mvp? that happened once.

Posted Image

When he's asked why Kobe doesn't tweet, @thugraider37 said he offers this reply: "Does God tweet?"

#16 Shade

Shade

• 538 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:00 PM

what if he loses and gets the final mvp? that happened once.

It happened once but I forgot who :D. I think it was Jerry West but I can't be too sure. And we have to win the finals no matter what :D
Losing is no option for the Lakers!! :D

Edited by Master Diwa, February 21, 2009 - 09:01 PM.

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#17 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:01 PM

This guy makes it seem like he's riding LeBron's nuts. When this R2MVP was posted Kobe just came off monstrous games and wins over the Cavs and Celtics while LeBron was just being a stat whore.

This guy's inability to move Kobe to the no.1 spot even for a little while is ridiculous. Now that LeBron got his 55-point game I know for sure Kobe won't be no.1 for a while.

Kobe's playing with the best PF in the league and another top 5 MVP candidate in Gasol, while LeBron's second best player is Zydrunas who hasn't even been healthy all season.

If the Cavs are within 5 games of the Lakers by season's end, it goes to LeBron easily.

#18 Shade

Shade

• 538 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Lebron is imbalanced :(

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:14 PM

Kobe's playing with the best PF in the league and another top 5 MVP candidate in Gasol, while LeBron's second best player is Zydrunas who hasn't even been healthy all season.

If the Cavs are within 5 games of the Lakers by season's end, it goes to LeBron easily.

there second best player is Mo Williams

but other than that i agree if the award is what they say it is then there is no way lebron doesn't deserve it

but we all know the MVP definition changes on the daily

hell lebron should have won it a couple years ago when he averaged 32ppg 7rpg 7apg and his team won 50 games

but they gave it to nash

the MVP award is the shadiest award in sports only to be topped by the heisman where the man with the most 1st place votes comes in 3rd :blink:
Posted Image

#20 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:21 PM

there second best player is Mo Williams

but other than that i agree if the award is what they say it is then there is no way lebron doesn't deserve it

but we all know the MVP definition changes on the daily

hell lebron should have won it a couple years ago when he averaged 32ppg 7rpg 7apg and his team won 50 games

but they gave it to nash

the MVP award is the shadiest award in sports only to be topped by the heisman where the man with the most 1st place votes comes in 3rd :blink:

Here's the criteria from what it seems

1. Need to be in a top 5 team in the league

2. Personal stats

3. Strength of your teammates

They are both tied for 1 and 2. LeBron has edge in assists, but Kobe is the more well rounded scorer. Category 3 ices it for LeBron.

To me, Dwight Howard should be tied in there, but there is a strong bias towards offensive players. Dwight's offense isn't good enough, even though his defense is Godly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users