• Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 20, 2009 - 04:54 PM

EYE! Ouch.

#22 lbj23witness

lbj23witness

Rookie

• 38 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:36 PM

It's all going downhill for the Suns, although this will prove one thing: Just how much will Amar'e be worth to the Suns.. We'll see the answer at the end of the season.

#23 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:40 PM

That's probably one of the worse eye injuries he could of gotten. Not good for the Suns.

I'm really hoping we can play Phoenix in the 1st round and it looks like there's a pretty good chance that's going to happen since they're back to their old Run-N-Gun style.

Made By Vaporize

#24 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:25 PM

how does an eye not let him lift weights like i can understand why he cannot play but why couldnt he lift weights

#25 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted February 21, 2009 - 10:56 PM

Sucks for Amar'e. Looks like The Diesel is going to have to carry the whole load.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#26 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted February 21, 2009 - 11:06 PM

how does an eye not let him lift weights like i can understand why he cannot play but why couldnt he lift weights

I'm no doctor, but I think it'll put strain on the retina because of the increased blood flow thoughout his body if he lifts weights.

#27 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 21, 2009 - 11:58 PM

Get well Amare..
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#28 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,882 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted February 22, 2009 - 12:31 AM

I'm no doctor, but I think it'll put strain on the retina because of the increased blood flow thoughout his body if he lifts weights.

Yes sir.

#29 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 22, 2009 - 12:33 AM

Yes sir.

so this is going to be in on going injury throughout his life?
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#30 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 12:37 AM

From what I can gather, it will heal, but maybe the next time he gets hit in the eye, it'll be the one to fully detach his retina, since the bond isn't as strong as it would be if he hadn't injured it. That's why he'll have to wear goggles.

Who hit him in the eye. It says he suffered it during the Clipper game, but was there a specific play/player that caused it?

Edited by AkademikONE, February 22, 2009 - 12:39 AM.

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,882 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 12:37 AM

so this is going to be in on going injury throughout his life?

Not necessarily. He's just going to have to wear the goggles for the rest of his career (or at least I would) and be cautious when hitting the weight room for at least a month or two, although I have been lifting much lighter since my re-attachment just out of fear that I'll screw up.

#32 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:49 AM

Get Well Soon,Amar'e.

#33 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,882 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:00 PM

An update on Amare was announced during the game, and I'll explain what she meant.

Amare has a scleral buckle, which is what I have in my left eye. His detachment was pretty severe, so they had to sew a scleral buckle around the eye, to hold the retina in place as it heals. The buckle is much like a belt, and typically, it stays in your eye forever (unless complications occur).

The buckle is sewn completely around the eye, and you feel it for about a couple of weeks, and then you don't even realize it's there (and you can't see it, but sometimes the white in your eyes will contain a pinkish color, which can be scar tissue or irritation).

So here's what Amare is faced with now: if he heals perfectly, no complications, he's got eight or nine weeks.

Now, with the buckle, there comes a bubble, possibly a gas bubble (which eventually disappears). The gas bubble is put in to push against the attached retina, and hopefully make it stick again.

The success rate is pretty high, actually. However, the scar tissue can tug at the retina, even with the buckle, and create holes. These holes can allow fluid to leak in between the eye and the retina, which will cause another detachment, and possibly a more severe one.

Right now, after the surgery, Amare's eye is definitely sore and swollen. He's on at least two different eye drops (one is Omnipred, which is a steroid for the eye to help it heal, and the other is called Hyoscine, which dilates the eye and helps with inflammation). The gas bubble will disappear in 3-4 weeks, and his eye should start healing pretty quickly after that.

With the severe detachment, he's going to have to stay away from lifting hardly anything for at least a month (anything over 15-20 pounds), he has to make sure he's not bending over for an extended amount of time, and he has to sleep upright for a couple of weeks.

I figured I wouldn't go into too much detail, but then again, this lets you know how serious it can be, and that a severe detachment can lead to a fully-detached retina, which means he's blind for life, until someone comes up with an artificial one, something they have yet to create.

#34 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:17 PM

Damn.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#35 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:06 PM

An update on Amare was announced during the game, and I'll explain what she meant.

Amare has a scleral buckle, which is what I have in my left eye. His detachment was pretty severe, so they had to sew a scleral buckle around the eye, to hold the retina in place as it heals. The buckle is much like a belt, and typically, it stays in your eye forever (unless complications occur).

The buckle is sewn completely around the eye, and you feel it for about a couple of weeks, and then you don't even realize it's there (and you can't see it, but sometimes the white in your eyes will contain a pinkish color, which can be scar tissue or irritation).

So here's what Amare is faced with now: if he heals perfectly, no complications, he's got eight or nine weeks.

Now, with the buckle, there comes a bubble, possibly a gas bubble (which eventually disappears). The gas bubble is put in to push against the attached retina, and hopefully make it stick again.

The success rate is pretty high, actually. However, the scar tissue can tug at the retina, even with the buckle, and create holes. These holes can allow fluid to leak in between the eye and the retina, which will cause another detachment, and possibly a more severe one.

Right now, after the surgery, Amare's eye is definitely sore and swollen. He's on at least two different eye drops (one is Omnipred, which is a steroid for the eye to help it heal, and the other is called Hyoscine, which dilates the eye and helps with inflammation). The gas bubble will disappear in 3-4 weeks, and his eye should start healing pretty quickly after that.

With the severe detachment, he's going to have to stay away from lifting hardly anything for at least a month (anything over 15-20 pounds), he has to make sure he's not bending over for an extended amount of time, and he has to sleep upright for a couple of weeks.

I figured I wouldn't go into too much detail, but then again, this lets you know how serious it can be, and that a severe detachment can lead to a fully-detached retina, which means he's blind for life, until someone comes up with an artificial one, something they have yet to create.

Thanks for sharing that, much appreciated. Damn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users