#1 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 20, 2009 - 04:28 AM

With center Andrew Bynum sidelined by a knee injury until at least April and fellow 7-footer Chris Mihm traded to the Memphis Grizzlies, the Lakers have turned to seldom-used forward Josh Powell for help in the middle.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson doesn't have many alternatives.

"It depends on how the game goes, how big the other players are," Jackson said when asked about playing Powell more frequently. "But, yes, he has as bigger role."

So far, so good for Powell and the Lakers.

Powell responded to his enhanced role by scoring 16 points and grabbing seven rebounds in the Lakers' victory Wednesday night over the Golden State Warriors, the team's first game after trading Mihm for a conditional draft pick

in 2013.
Powell served as starting center Pau Gasol's backup against Golden State and also filled in for power forward Lamar Odom, who sat out because of foul trouble for much of the second quarter. Powell played almost 25 minutes.

"Every chance to play is rewarding," he said.

Powell also said it was "a blessing" to sign with the Lakers as a free agent last summer after stops in Dallas, Indiana, Golden State and the Clippers in his three-season professional career. He had no idea what to expect when he joined his fifth NBA team.

"Whatever role I'm able to fill, I'm willing to do that," Powell said, shrugging. "I'm on the best team in the league, playing with the Lakers, playing with some of the best guys

in the league. So, there's a lot to be thankful for."
Hornets' nest: The Lakers play host to New Orleans tonight and fully expect to see Tyson Chandler back in a Hornets uniform.

Chandler was traded earlier this week to Oklahoma City, but the deal was rescinded when the 7-foot center failed a physical Wednesday.

Joe Smith, Chris Wilcox and draft pick DeVon Hardin also returned to the Thunder. No reason was given for Chandler's physical failure.

"That happened ... with Sean Elliott going from San Antonio to Detroit?" Jackson said when asked about Chandler. "He came back home and played well and didn't feel slighted."

Chandler, a standout at Dominguez Hill School in Compton, has had many happy returns to Staples Center.

"I was kind of happy Chandler was traded," Jackson said. "He comes home to L.A. all the time and has a great game and just kicks our butts. He comes home and has fun on our court, and that's no good for us. He'll be out there (tonight)."

Jackson notes that the Hornets have " struggled a little bit for whatever reason. They haven't been quite as focused as they were last year, but they're still a very good team. When they focus, they can be very, very tough."

New Orleans finished second to the Lakers in the Western Conference last season. But the Hornets (32-20) trail the league-leading Lakers (44-10) by 11 games.

LINK

#2 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 20, 2009 - 07:55 AM

i liked Powell ever since he joined the team. it sucks that he never really got mins., but looks like he'll be getting some now.

#3 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted February 20, 2009 - 07:59 AM

i liked Powell ever since he joined the team. it sucks that he never really got mins., but looks like he'll be getting some now.

Another great find and move by Mitch.

#4 udechukwu

udechukwu

KB24: Silencing opposing crowds for over a decade

• 128 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fan Since:birth 1990
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 20, 2009 - 11:09 AM

ive always liked powell, glad to see him getting some more time and making plays
plays physical down low but he's got a pretty clean shot

Where will amazing happen this year ?..... LA!!!
2009 NBA Champions
A Prophecy fulfilled.

#5 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted February 20, 2009 - 11:20 AM

There's an article they have in the OC Register about how the Lakers are looking to cut down payroll heading into next season. In it they state that there's a possibility Powell may replace Lamar.

http://www.ocregiste...12773-mihm-odom

Any chance of that happening? I like Powell but I still feel like Lamar is much more effective.

#6 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,527 posts

Posted February 20, 2009 - 11:43 AM

we are the lakers we don't cut payroll if it means sacrificing winning and letting lamar or ariza go is sacrificing winning

we need both back next season
Posted Image

#7 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,051 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted February 20, 2009 - 12:22 PM

Where's that old Powell thread? I've been singing praises for this kid for a long while now. Way before Bynum went down...

#8 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted February 20, 2009 - 12:27 PM

Mark my words - we win it all and Buss will keep everyone.

#9 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Mark my words - we win it all and Buss will keep everyone.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!... Buss said it himself. This is an extremely talented group of guys. I really can't think of another squad that is as tight knit and deeper (I mean really deep) than us. If there's a championship parade on Figueroa in the summer, Buss will keep this team intact.

#10 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:36 PM

I may be nailed for this but I'm sorry, I actually like plenty of things Powell has provided more than Turiaf ever did.

Imo, I feel he's a better outside shooter, better rebounder, and a bit tougher. Turiaf imo is still the better shot blocker and slightly better overall defender, though Powell's not too far behind, and one can argue I guess Turiaf is better for chemistry, but that's not saying Powell himself is bad, he's just a different style, more the quite guy get the job done type, but all in all, I love what Powell's been doing for us. What a steal. He's made me forget about Turiaf quite easily, don't know about you guys.

#11 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:37 PM

One thing that comes to mind is how versatile we are 1-12... pretty amazing.

#12 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:46 PM

I may be nailed for this but I'm sorry, I actually like plenty of things Powell has provided more than Turiaf ever did.

Imo, I feel he's a better outside shooter, better rebounder, and a bit tougher. Turiaf imo is still the better shot blocker and slightly better overall defender, though Powell's not too far behind, and one can argue I guess Turiaf is better for chemistry, but that's not saying Powell himself is bad, he's just a different style, more the quite guy get the job done type, but all in all, I love what Powell's been doing for us. What a steal. He's made me forget about Turiaf quite easily, don't know about you guys.

You know, I kind of agree with you. Don't get me wrong I love Turiaf but I do feel that Josh is able to contribute more...now if he would just dance...

#13 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:50 PM

Why would they be in the payroll cutting business when the Lakers are one of 4 teams in the league actually making money this year?

Powell and Odom are completely different types of players.

LD2K is right - concentrate on winning this year and things will work out just fine.

#14 Master Zen

Master Zen

Rookie

• 482 posts
  • Name:Hugues
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted February 20, 2009 - 02:29 PM

5 times less expensive than Ronny and 5 times better? :dance1:

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,527 posts

Posted February 20, 2009 - 03:50 PM

another great move by mitch

signing powell for much less was one of the best moves hes made

powell would have started at PF for our 3 peat teams though thats not saying much considering samaki walker and slava medvedenko graced the starting line-up at points but he is that good and only 25 years old
Posted Image

#16 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,104 posts

Posted February 20, 2009 - 04:00 PM

Powell has been amazing since day 1 pretty much. Quite confident he will keep it up :D

#17 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted February 20, 2009 - 04:04 PM

Powell has been amazing since day 1 pretty much. Quite confident he will keep it up :D

You can say that again, plus he's pretty good looking... :dance1:

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#18 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,104 posts

Posted February 20, 2009 - 04:12 PM

You can say that again, plus he's pretty good looking... :dance1:

:blink: Aren't you a guy...

:lol: I don't find him all that good looking but ok.. hahahaha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users