2 replies to this topic

#1 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted February 17, 2009 - 03:09 PM

[Thanks to an assist from the wonderful Basketball-Reference.com web site, I gathered together the last twenty NBA Drafts (1989-2008) with an array of intended analysis in mind.]

In the first part of this series on "NBA Player Development" I studied the average performance of players by their draft pick number. In part two I will take a look at the specific teams and how they have fared!

To recap a few principles, since B-R provides career games, and then per game points, rebounds, assists and minutes, I have gone with an admittedly highly simplistic look on things with:
Rating = points/game + rebounds/game + assists/game
Why use this definition? It's the data I have easily on hand, which while not a good player rating system is a decent wag for these purposes. Then I group players as follows:

Star -- 20+ rating
Solid -- 15 to 19.9
Role Player -- 10 to14.9
Deep Bench -- 5 to 9.9
Complete Bust -- less than 5
DNP -- (never played in the NBA)

Posted Image

http://www.82games.c...aftingteams.htm

Bleeding purple & gold...

#2 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Rookie

• 238 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem

Posted February 18, 2009 - 12:33 AM

Is this strictly based on what team picked who, and not where the drafted guys played? I mean, Phoenix for instance had a bunch of nice picks that were immediately traded for almost nothing and are now producing in other teams. What I mean is, it doesn't necessarily reflect well on an organization if their picks are good but they get dumped.

#3 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted February 18, 2009 - 12:51 AM

On account of this, one additional point to mention is in the event of draft day trades, the team winding up with a player after the trade is counted as 'drafting' the player. So for example Dallas gets credit for Nowitzki even though the Bucks actually drafted him (but then moved him on the the Mavericks). It may be I missed some of these transitions as well if they were sometime after the draft, in which case I'll post a corrected version later on.

Bleeding purple & gold...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users