657 replies to this topic

#601 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 14, 2013 - 06:22 AM

I'm way late to this, from what I've read Windu you're able to get into Windows though still and it's fully functional until you reboot?

Wade the live boot from Linux is a great idea for file transfers it's crazy how many people i suggest this to and they don't know what Linux even is.

Real thanks for the links!

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#602 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 14, 2013 - 07:22 AM

Live boot would work...unless he's having a hardware issue (as you know, just stating it for others). So if he wants to go that route before a re-install,that's perfectly fine...but it sounds like he can access everything (maybe I'm misunderstanding), so copying valuable files over to a thumb drive shouldn't be an issue.

Wade, do you have the links for the Windows 7 DVD's? Wasn't sure if you gave them to him or not.

32-BIT WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X86 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
64-BIT WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
32-BIT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL X86 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
64-BIT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL X64 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
32-BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X86 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
64-BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X64 SP1 (BOOTABLE)

All are legitimate copies, downloads that were provided by Microsoft, to Digital River, for customers to download and use as long as they have the Windows 7 key to use (which Windu should be able to find on the laptop).

Will, go to Start, and in the search box, type in dxdiag, then click it as it appears (to run). You can click "No" when it asks you about drivers. Under Operating System (the System tab), post that entire line for us.

Would I still need to go buy a blank dvd in order to use those downloads? Or can I just download it straight from there?

I've been going back and forth between the laptop and my phone. On the laptop now because I haven't been shutting it down.

I do have the product key that I got off the back of the laptop.

As for the last part, I'm at the DirectX Diagnostic Tool now. It didn't ask me about drivers.

Looking under System tab...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (6.1, Build 7601)

Pau Gasol is GONE

#603 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm way late to this, from what I've read Windu you're able to get into Windows though still and it's fully functional until you reboot?

Wade the live boot from Linux is a great idea for file transfers it's crazy how many people i suggest this to and they don't know what Linux even is.

Real thanks for the links!

Yeh man it's been a headache. This whole process makes me feel like...

Posted Image

:laughing:

Pretty much what you said. Before I realized that shutting the PC down was a problem, I was doing system restore/recovery every time but now I just put it to sleep/hibernation when we're done with it.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#604 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,777 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 14, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Live boot would work...unless he's having a hardware issue (as you know, just stating it for others). So if he wants to go that route before a re-install,that's perfectly fine...but it sounds like he can access everything (maybe I'm misunderstanding), so copying valuable files over to a thumb drive shouldn't be an issue.

Wade, do you have the links for the Windows 7 DVD's? Wasn't sure if you gave them to him or not.

32-BIT WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X86 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
64-BIT WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
32-BIT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL X86 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
64-BIT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL X64 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
32-BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X86 SP1 (BOOTABLE)
64-BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X64 SP1 (BOOTABLE)

All are legitimate copies, downloads that were provided by Microsoft, to Digital River, for customers to download and use as long as they have the Windows 7 key to use (which Windu should be able to find on the laptop).

Will, go to Start, and in the search box, type in dxdiag, then click it as it appears (to run). You can click "No" when it asks you about drivers. Under Operating System (the System tab), post that entire line for us.

GOOD LOOKING RD. I was going to upload a copy of Windows 7 to my ftp and it was going to take all day. :)

Would I still need to go buy a blank dvd in order to use those downloads? Or can I just download it straight from there?

I've been going back and forth between the laptop and my phone. On the laptop now because I haven't been shutting it down.

I do have the product key that I got off the back of the laptop.

As for the last part, I'm at the DirectX Diagnostic Tool now. It didn't ask me about drivers.

Looking under System tab...

Windows sometimes has a GUI installer that you can launch, explore the iso and there should be an .exe of some sort to run. I don't know if that'll allow you to install Windows fresh from there, I've only known about starting a Windows Upgrade from there.

You generally do need a blank DVD-R/DVD-RW and a CD/DVD burner for after you download the iso RD linked you with. You can use that ActiveISO Image Burner I mentioned earlier to take care of that.

The light is at the end of the tunnel now. ;D

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#605 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Computer problems and now car problems fml

Pau Gasol is GONE

#606 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:40 AM

So here's your link: http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-58997.iso

Download that, then use the ActiveISO image burner Wade recommended, or download ImgBurn here: http://www.softpedia...p=27810&t=4&i=1

Once you download ImgBurn, and install it, you'll right-click the ISO and "Send To" ImgBurn to burn to a DVD (that you'll need to buy...they aren't that expensive, for a pack of 10). I'm assuming it probably won't matter if you're getting DVD-R's or DVD+R's, since you have a Win7 computer.

If you're having trouble with any of this, and you're going to give up and spend money...I'll actually just send you the DVD through the mail, priority. Not a problem.

Just let me know.

#607 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks.

Still working on my car. Would I need to take the current windows off the computer before I install the new one?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#608 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Nope, just save what you need to (ex. pictures and important info).

I'm wondering if we would be able to walk you through setting up a new partition on your hard drive, you installing Windows on it, and then having all of your info on the old partition. It's not really that difficult, but one small mistake will ruin everything.

#609 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted February 15, 2013 - 06:45 AM

I'm wondering if we would be able to walk you through setting up a new partition on your hard drive, you installing Windows on it, and then having all of your info on the old partition. It's not really that difficult, but one small mistake will ruin everything.

More than likely, I can do it myself but it's been many years since I've done computer work of this nature. So a walk-through would be appreciated...just in case I do make one those mistakes. I'll let you and Wade know when I'm ready.

Edited by Windu, February 15, 2013 - 06:45 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#610 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,034 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 02:10 PM

What's your guy's security package?

Mine:

MalwareBytes
Avast
McAfee SiteAdvisor

I have had no problems at all ever since I started using those.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#611 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Mine:

MalwareBytes
Avast
McAfee SiteAdvisor

I have had no problems at all ever since I started using those.

Right now windows defender that's all

Before windows security essentials and that was all

21lsbya.jpg

#612 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 04:40 PM

Malwarebytes, and myself.

#613 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Malwarebytes, and myself.

"myself" that's the best most important security anyone can have.

21lsbya.jpg

#614 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,777 posts

Posted February 16, 2013 - 06:36 PM

"myself" that's the best most important security anyone can have.

It is. No amount of AV or firewall will protect you if you are subject to being manipulated by social engineer tactics, or other means. 95% of the time, errors stem from the user itself and not the machine.

But I'm with RD (Malwarebytes, Comodo Free Firewall to replace Windows firewall):
Posted Image

But that's when I'm in Windows. Linux? Lol good luck giving me a virus on that, and if I'm rooted csf running as a daemon will alert me and it'll be fixed in a minute.

Edited by -Wade-, February 16, 2013 - 06:37 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#615 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,512 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 16, 2013 - 08:23 PM

malwarebytes, AVG internet security suite (virus/firewall)

Posted Image

#616 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,206 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted February 24, 2013 - 02:38 PM

So, I'm thinking of purchasing an Asus laptop on Amazon for $429 (~$470 after taxes). The model is A55A-AH31 15.6' LED display with an i3 processor and Windows 8 installed. For anyone who knows better than me, is this a good deal?
Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B009OV5150

I'm only going to be using the computer for schoolwork and web browsing. No gaming and no editing. Is this a good buy?

#617 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,777 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 03:47 PM

So, I'm thinking of purchasing an Asus laptop on Amazon for $429 (~$470 after taxes). The model is A55A-AH31 15.6' LED display with an i3 processor and Windows 8 installed. For anyone who knows better than me, is this a good deal?
Here's the link: http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B009OV5150

I'm only going to be using the computer for schoolwork and web browsing. No gaming and no editing. Is this a good buy?

For schoolwork and web browsing it will do good. You should have enough power with the i3 to get those tasks done, and plenty of ram to not get bogged down by simaltaneously running applications. The 750gb hard drive is good too. Windows 8 and the CPU is a major part of the price you are paying. An option you could keep in mind is to downgrade the CPU to a dual core, pentium or celeron. That would save you over $100 and all of the other specs would be around the same (6gb ram, HDD space, Windows 8). You won't go wrong with getting the i3 though, that's for sure.

Goodluck!

Edited by -Wade-, February 24, 2013 - 03:48 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#618 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 04:41 PM

I had to go i5 I noticed too much lag with a i3. Almost tempted to go i7 but the new gens are coming this year anyways.

21lsbya.jpg

#619 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Now the damn screen faded to black. Think I need one of those ribbon cable thingamajiggas again.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#620 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 01, 2013 - 06:26 PM

how do i remove ad yield manager? when i go into yahoo mail avast give me a block malware popup for ad yield manager... Malwarebytes says my computer is clean though...

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users