23 replies to this topic

#1 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:02 AM

Kobe vs. China
27 min, 13 pts, 6-14 FG, 1-7 3pt, 0-0 FT, 2 reb, 3 [expletive], 2 stl, 0 blk, 3 TO.

Kobe vs. Angola
18 min, 8 pts, 4-13 FG, 0-8 3pt, 0-0 FT, 4 reb, 1 [expletive], 2 stl, 0 blk, 1 TO.

So Kobe is averaging:
22.5 min, 10.5 PPG, 37% FG, 7% 3FG, 3 RPG, 2 APG, 2 SPG, 0 BPG, 2 ToPG.

I understand that it's only been two games and that his play should improve when Team USA plays better teams. Still, it worries and frustrates me. For the first time in ages, I saw a defender giving Kobe room, daring him to shoot. Kobe better hit the gym today and tomorrow and work on that jumpshot of his. Anyone else really bothered by Kobe's performance?

Anyways, go Kobe and Team USA!

#2 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Don't worry about it. He's just really busy formulating fantasy contracts with European basketball teams through the media right now.

#3 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I wouldn't really call it a 2-game slump. He's still playing well overall, he's just terrible on his 3's. Not sure why he's been shooting so poorly on his 3's but it's strange to see. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's been spotting up for these 3's and he's just not used to being a spotup shooter. If he lays off the 3's or starts hitting them his FG% will skyrocket.

#4 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:31 AM

^
Mm yeah I think I was too rash in calling it a "slump." But there's something wrong with his shooting touch. It's weird... He probably shoots better with a guy up in his jersey.

#5 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 11:31 AM

I don't really care as long as we're winning. He's not doing too bad, or trying to take over the game and we have too many other players to pick up the slack that it's not even worth worry about. It's not like his game has completely faltered.

#6 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Anyone think that since China absolutely ADORES Kobe and he gets chants during games, Kobe is under more pressure to perform and meet up to the Chinese' expectations? And the talk of Kobe's jersey being #1 in China, the announcers repeating that he is the #1 basketball player in the world, etc.

#7 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:42 PM

Anyone think that since China absolutely ADORES Kobe and he gets chants during games, Kobe is under more pressure to perform and meet up to the Chinese' expectations? And the talk of Kobe's jersey being #1 in China, the announcers repeating that he is the #1 basketball player in the world, etc.

Kobe probably could care less. All he wants is the gold.

It does concern me though that Kobe isn't doing that well right though. Hopefully he'll show us the MVP Kobe because i'm want to see him catch fire one of these games.

Made By Vaporize

#8 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:45 PM

Do you guys think it has anything to do with his finger?

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#9 Vudoo

Vudoo

Vlad's Warm Fleece Blanket

• 368 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 01:57 PM

I know the real answer. Kobe is holding himself back, purposely missing if you will because what kind of showman would he be if he did all the good stuff so early? He's waiting for the more important games to go off. Trust me, next game he'll have 40-50 points guarenteed. :unsure:
My computer is broken so I'm not on as much...

#10 Guest_Nyla_*

Guest_Nyla_*

Posted August 12, 2008 - 02:26 PM

If anything, its the overall team's 3-point shooting thats a concern. Kobe's Kobe, so he'll get it together soon. Plus, like others have said, he's playing great D, so its not like he's really in a slump.

#11 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 03:13 PM

I know the real answer. Kobe is holding himself back, purposely missing if you will because what kind of showman would he be if he did all the good stuff so early? He's waiting for the more important games to go off. Trust me, next game he'll have 40-50 points guarenteed. ;)

Quoted For Truth :D

#12 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 03:15 PM

Do you guys think it has anything to do with his finger?

Kobe became league MVP with that pinky injury. So I don't think it's really affecting his shooting. Maybe Kobe should stick to banking his 3-point shots. He made TWO of those in the pre-Olympic games.

#13 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted August 12, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Concern, a little. But, we should know he will get out of it. I'm also curious as to why he spots up for the 3s so often, instead of going to the basket, probably not on one of the drawn plays. And also, he's on 'defensive' mode, not 'offensive' mode, 80% of the game. True, a cause for concern at the 3 going 1-15, but if you guys saw his close up jumpers, they were swift and smooth. Then again, there's the finger roll last night...=.=

Oh well, probably under pressure, the team can perform better. Right now, I'm seeing a circus out there.

#14 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted August 13, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Guys, need some help here. I'm in a heated discussion with another member in another forum, and I'm kinda going out of facts or whatever...I'd post what he posted and with my replies, can you guys see what else you guys can throw it in or correct me of?

Wall of text incoming:

The best player on Team USA right now is Dwyane Wade. If he becomes a tougher player and is injury-free he will be a future Hall of Famer. Fortunately for him most of the other teams are not as physical as regular NBA teams.

Kobe Bryant... still the same. He has the talent and the ability, but the lack of maturity prevents him from becoming legendary. Despite missing so many 3 pointers, he still tries to "shoot his way out of it". Questionable shot selection: 4/13, 0/8 for 3P FG in Game 2! This is closer than NBA 3 pointer!

Basketball is a team game. If he continues to play like this he will forever live in Michael Jordan's shadow. Whereas MJ brought a different facet to his game every year, KB is still relying on his physical ability. With age catching up it will only be a matter of time before injuries and younger players will step into the spotlight.

LeBron James... excellent player. Like Dwyane Wade his willingness to pass the ball makes him a dangerous offensive threat. Needs to rein in his youthful brashness and he will achieve greatness as well. e.g. that block in 2nd quarter of Angola match, he could've just stolen the ball.

If Team USA loses the gold it will be due to their arrogance and lack of ability to work as a team, just like previous Olympics.

The primary scorers for Team USA is D-Wade, Lebron James, Dwight Howard and Carmelo Anthony. Also can throw in Chris Bosh. D-Wade on the basis has improved significantly and hope he stays like this from now on, he had slumps with injuries...which is really tough to watch.

Wait wait wait, go research from what aspect Kobe lacks maturity, before even MENTIONING he lacks maturity. Do you know of their gameplan? He's there primarily for his defense. Of course, his offense is also one aspect why he's in the team, but he doesn't need to do it from inside if the previously mentioned people are in the game, the scoring is up to them. Do you know what's a Shooting Guard? They shoot out of their slump. I pretty much expect him to pull up jumpers more than going into the lane, PLUS the fact that he's not in the team primarily for offense. The offense is provided by other players, Kobe doesn't need to shoot that much, but since he's able to, he pulls it up. True, the slump he has going 1-15 overall in 2 games sux, but, that's the way it is. Plus, you should look at Team USA overall on 3pt shooting, true Kobe got the majority, but even dead-eye shooters like Redd makes a dismal percentage...Carmelo is off too.

Everyone knows basketball is a team game. Spot up shooting 3s isn't one of the aspects of team play? And please stop comparing with MJ. Kobe is Kobe, MJ is MJ. There will ALWAYS be ONE MJ. Bottom line: MJ is better at defense, Kobe is better at offense.

Nah, I loved his block in that game, he sends out a dire message to the opponents of Team USA that they aren't gonna let them shoot to their liking. Stealing on the other hand only leads to another fast break, the prior sends out the message period.

The problem I see now of Team USA is they are TOO WILLING to pass the ball, leading to turnovers as well as bad shots. Because all of the players are star players, the extra pass will always be thought of if viable, but passes will get picked off as evident. They need to go back to playing NBA team game in the NBA in Beijing, let the plays run for players to score, I've seen too much fancy alley oops and passes already, time to stop as the next few games are NOT smooth ride anymore.

Oh btw, trust me on this, if the team is ever in dire consequences, Kobe WILL step up. I have my life on that.

Kobe's stats speaks for itself. Lacks maturity because he has questionable shot selection as mentioned earlier, and he takes a disproportionate number of shots, for both game 1 and game 2. If he's in a slump, he should drive strong to the basket and pick up some fouls to get to free throw line, not shoot from far afield and hope the shot goes in. He has been in the league for TWELVE YEARS and still doesn't grasp this simple concept?

There's also something called a pass. How many assists does he have? Compare him with LeBron James please.

He may have won regular season MVP, score a whole lot of points, up there in terms of athleticism. These are achievements which no one can deny him. However he has a long way to go in terms of development as a complete player. He can start by improving his offensive awareness.

Now, I really dunno why he shoots from downtown that much in this 2 games, but that's certainly not attributed to maturity. As for driving to the basket, it's not every shot that he gets the FTs, plus, gameplan is different for his role on the US team. He certainly grasp the concept there, and being in the league for 12 years isn't the only reason. But I really believe it's how Coach K draws the stuffs up. There's already Dwight, Lebron and Melo inside.

How many assists does Jason Kidd have? Look, stats are not everything. It's his presence and what he does without the ball that counts for Team USA. Look at the roster, how many potent scoring machines are already in there? I have to repeat myself, Kobe's role is not on the offense, but on the defense. And stats dun show that.

Talking about offensive awareness now? Are you using his 1-time showing in olympics to compare with his offensive awareness in the NBA? Dude, you are really talking stuffs now. Have I not made it clear, his ROLE on this team? If you STILL dunno after how many times I've said it, go watch Road to Redemption Pt 1 to 5.

Yes I admit, Kobe isn't playing well in these 2 games, but I'm contented to what he brings to the USA in his primary role. I've never looked upon him to score loads with this team, because the younger ones are already an offensive force inside.

Funny thing is, you are only reprimanding Kobe? What about the other players? Do they not have flaws? Tomorrow vs Greece, we will see when the pressure is on, what these players can cook.

Offensive awareness means being able to recognize that there are 4 other members of the team on the court, not 1 on 1 or even 1 on 5. Proof? See for yourself, game 2.... he attempted two 3-pointers in a row, when shot clock has been reset. Is this not an immature player? Please... I'm not a basketball noob, I've seen this kind of play from him throughout the years. In the end, it is costing the team an opportunity to score.

This is the main problem with players picked straight from high school. Most of them lack discipline and an understanding of the game acquired through college play. Why do you think prestigious basketball programs from universities like UNC, UCLA etc have produced so many champions? You think it's a fluke? Dean Smith or Bobby Knight will bench any player thinking he's above his system.

You mention that his role is not to score? Please check his stats on usabasketball.com. He has been shooting more than any other player. Let me break it down for you. Game 1, 14 of 70. Game 2, 13 of 68. This is almost 20% of all shots attempted.

So you mention his role is "defense"? Total of 4 steals, guess what... even Jason Kidd has 4 steals so far and he is past his prime, playing on limited 28 minutes. Still not convinced? Total minutes: 45. James: 44. Difference? James scored 9 more points, had twice the assists (8 to Kobe's 4), equal number of steals (4), more blocks (4 to 0!) and 2 more rebounds.

In summary, my initial assessment of Kobe is still accurate, that he has not grown as a player. He will be a Hall of Famer because of his scoring and early entry in NBA, but his chance to leave a lasting legacy is diminishing quickly.

So you are gonna be basing him off still with these 2 games? How about all the 12 seasons he played in the NBA? And he must achieve high efficiency to pass of as a legendary player?

True, I have NO IDEA why he spot up to take the 3s even consecutively, but I dun see that a problem. This whole team USA is packed with offensive(and defensive power, well, up for debate) power, even if his % and indecisions or plainly just wanna shoot it out of whatever slump he has makes the stats look bad, but china and angola aren't the strengths in Group B. They can afford to let these go.

I'm sure discipline and understanding of the game, Kobe has them all. You can't picked him without that for what he has done up to this point. You left out DUKE UNI. He's definitely within the system.

What's wrong with shooting to get his shot? And players are passing him the ball, as if he got the ball and drove right down the court and spot up for a 3.

Errrr, defense doesn't equate totally to steals? Defense can also equate to weak side help? He may not necessarily get the ball off but another player? How many steals has the reigning DPOY have? 35. SPG? 1.35. Kobe? 35 and 1.67. Who's tops in steals? CP3 with 28 and 2.33spg. CP3 ain't DPOY. And you throw in the age factor and comparing their steals with Kidd...:censored: DPOY is 32 this year.

WHY do you have to compare him with LBJ? So this is obviously a GOAT or GON comparison ehz? James is a forward mind you! And he only has 2 more rebounds than Kobe? I'm not gonna harp on that little edge, but obviously efficiency goes to LBJ and others. But that doesn't really mean anything else, unless you are one of those that eats the PER over at ESPN.

Have you followed Kobe through 12 years? Or at least 10? "He has not grown as a player" is really an understatement to him. Early entry into the NBA doesn't equate free flow distribution of what he has shown the world as an entry ticket into HOF.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, THE PLAYERS' ROLES HAVE CHANGED AND ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE NBA....LOOK FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE.

*Chuckles*

Let's bring this on with tomorrow's game then. wink.gif

#15 Vudoo

Vudoo

Vlad's Warm Fleece Blanket

• 368 posts

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:40 PM

Just mention what I said here and you'll win guarenteed. :censored:

I know the real answer. Kobe is holding himself back, purposely missing if you will because what kind of showman would he be if he did all the good stuff so early? He's waiting for the more important games to go off. Trust me, next game he'll have 40-50 points guarenteed. ;)

My computer is broken so I'm not on as much...

#16 Mega Man

Mega Man

Mega Buster

• 415 posts

Posted August 13, 2008 - 12:48 PM

who cares?^ arguing with a kobe-hater who's probably only seen his play in the olympics and against his own teams is not enough to warrant a non-bais discussion over how mature a player he is.

and :lol: at how he is basing defense off of only steals and blocks...if that were the case then chris paul is a terrific defender :censored:

Posted Image

#17 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 13, 2008 - 03:53 PM

who cares?^ arguing with a kobe-hater who's probably only seen his play in the olympics and against his own teams is not enough to warrant a non-bais discussion over how mature a player he is.

and :lol: at how he is basing defense off of only steals and blocks...if that were the case then chris paul is a terrific defender :snack:

Yup. Chris Paul gets steals by jumping in passing lanes. He oftentimes gets bullied by PGs and has a hard time staying in front of his man. Kobe, although he loves to roam the court, has adjusted his defense so that his main purpose is to stop the guy in front of him from scoring. The other guy stating that Kobe has a low maturity level is just absurd. Kobe had two magnificent scoring seasons in 05-06 and 06-07, but he restricted himself for the benefit of the team. In those two years, Lakers were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Kobe's leadership in this past season, 07-08, helped to develop Bynum into a force, and Kobe's maturity made the Lakers a big threat in Western Conference even before the Gasol trade. Look how we ended up?

The fact that If Kobe was immature, he would be interested in personal goals, hogging the ball and such. There's a thing called bad shot selection. Kobe definitely puts up a number of questionable shots. But questionable shots are all makeable for him. The 3's that he's been shooting are shots that Kobe can make. These two games just show that he's in a small slump. Once he gets his rhythm back, the guy from the other forum won't have anything to say. I'm kinda contradicting my original post :rock:

#18 Mega Man

Mega Man

Mega Buster

• 415 posts

Posted August 13, 2008 - 04:04 PM

^ exactly why it's pointless arguing with haters/idiots...

telling that guy "chris paul is good at getting steals, but his defense is slightly average at best" wouldn't make sense to him

Posted Image

#19 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted August 13, 2008 - 04:53 PM

Vudoo: I'm letting the upcoming games do the talking, if he needs to see something other than the slump and questionable shots, that's what I will let him say.

Who's your mamba: Yeah, that's when I read about another CP3-lover that argued to deny the MVP for Kobe instead to CP3...duhz, same thing, defense == steals/blocks for that matter. Hmm, I wonder, what's Kobe's opponent stats??? Didn't catch who's he guarding most of the time this 2 games. As much as I gotta admit pointless arguing with haters/idiots, I just wanna protect my man.

funkychunky: I know what you are meaning, it's all good. /pat I shot at him 2 times about basing Kobe off with this 2 games after a 12yr career in the nba, he hadn't even reply back to me about that.

#20 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted August 14, 2008 - 05:55 PM

his job is not to score or dish

his job is to play D, which is what he's doing...anything he does on the offensive end is a plus

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users