5 replies to this topic

#1 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted February 12, 2009 - 11:52 PM

PHOENIX – The New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks have discussed a trade that would reunite Vince Carter and Jason Kidd, with Carter joining the Mavericks, a league source familiar with the discussions said Thursday night.

The proposed deal, which isn’t imminent, would send Carter, Keyon Dooling and Eduardo Najera to the Mavericks for Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse.

Nets executives are still reluctant to trade Carter, but are determined to let teams make their best offers all the way to next Thursday’s trade deadline.

The Mavericks have lost guard Jason Terry to a broken hand and desperately need perimeter scoring to stay a contender in the Western Conference. The Nets’ and Mavericks’ front offices engineered the Jason Kidd-Devin Harris blockbuster at the trade deadline a year ago. Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe and Mavs GM Donnie Nelson have been active trading proposals, league sources say.

Carter, 31, has inspired significant interest throughout the league. The San Antonio Spurs are pursuing him and have discussed a proposal that would include Roger Mason, Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto. While the Spurs also have interest in Detroit’s Rasheed Wallace, a Pistons source says the teams have not had any conversations.

For the Nets, the motivation to move Carter is mostly financial. The franchise is losing tens of millions of dollars a year and moving Carter would clear more cap space for 2010. Nevertheless, Nets president Rod Thorn wants to make the playoffs and believes he has his best chance with Carter on the roster. Carter is in the second season of a five-year extension that pays him close to $80 million through 2012. Only a fraction of the contract’s final season is guaranteed.

Carter is having a good season, averaging 21 points, five rebounds and five assists. The Nets are 24-29 and one game out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

EDIT:The trade does work TRADE LINK

Edited by magicbalala245, February 13, 2009 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2009 - 12:55 PM

I would be really surprised if the Spurs did that trade. Can't believe they would trade Mason though after what hes done for them this season.

#3 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:07 PM

I would be really surprised if the Spurs did that trade. Can't believe they would trade Mason though after what hes done for them this season.

Mason is good, but this is Vince Carter we are talking about.

He adds a whole new dimension to their offense. Adds speed and athleticism which has always been a San Antonio weakness.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:11 PM

Mason is good, but this is Vince Carter we are talking about.

He adds a whole new dimension to their offense. Adds speed and athleticism which has always been a San Antonio weakness.

He also adds the dimension of being a egotistical player.

Right now, the Spurs have a great chemistry going. Bringing in Vince Carter could hurt them more then help them.

#5 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:21 PM

He also adds the dimension of being a egotistical player.

Right now, the Spurs have a great chemistry going. Bringing in Vince Carter could hurt them more then help them.

Kobe's egotistical. And yet he's the best player in the game and is leading the best team. Completely irrelevant. You're basing your opinion on Carter on what he was years ago.

Chemistry can get you so far. They lack athletes, and Carter brings you just that. Trading a 3point shooter for an all around player is a really good and easy deal for them to make.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:49 PM

Kobe's egotistical. And yet he's the best player in the game and is leading the best team. Completely irrelevant. You're basing your opinion on Carter on what he was years ago.

Chemistry can get you so far. They lack athletes, and Carter brings you just that. Trading a 3point shooter for an all around player is a really good and easy deal for them to make.

No its not irrelevant. I guess I chose the wrong word. I mean an "I" player.

And I'm basing my opinion on whats taken place in his career. Hell Jason Kidd ran into problems with Carter.

Im not saying it wont work. I just think theres more of a chance of him hurting the Spurs then helping.

We've seen how Iverson has hurt the Pistons more then help them. I think this could be the same exact situation for Carter.

And chemistry gets you a ring.

Just my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users