#1 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted February 12, 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hey all,

Here's my latest at HW:

http://www.hoopsworl...?story_id=11536

Technically the top story is about Elgin suing the Clippers - but the Lakers earned a trade exception when they dealt Vlade.

Thanks

Eric
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#2 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 12, 2009 - 01:59 PM

thanks man
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#3 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 12, 2009 - 06:33 PM

wow, the news just keeps getting better on Lakers fans
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#4 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted February 12, 2009 - 08:09 PM

wow, the news just keeps getting better on Lakers fans

Not really, Lakers won't do anything with that, it only helps with Bynums huge contract next year. We will still be over the cap after resigning Ariza and Odom

#5 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted February 12, 2009 - 08:57 PM

what it does is give Mitch another tool over the course of the next year. It's too early to predict the future - let's see if LA wins the ring first.
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#6 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Can explain further on trade exception? Kinda lost...with examples maybe? Thanks. I can only get the part where from Lakers perspective we traded Vlad for Adam. Shannon was for MLE? What's after that and consequence of having the exception?

#7 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 11:02 AM

wait we can't combine it with a player or we can't combine it with cash

i'm confused
Posted Image

#8 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:11 PM

shannon was for the veterans min exception - which is another word shannon gets the minimum - and any team can trade a minimum player to another team without matching salaries

as far as combining it - you can't say trade mihm at $2.5 mil and the trade x at $1.99 mil to take a player making like $4.5

#9 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:17 PM

haha damn mitch is becoming a vet.

It is a lateral move but this is chess not checkers. Strategy, kerr can learn a thing or two.

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 02:35 PM

shannon was for the veterans min exception - which is another word shannon gets the minimum - and any team can trade a minimum player to another team without matching salaries

as far as combining it - you can't say trade mihm at $2.5 mil and the trade x at $1.99 mil to take a player making like $4.5

oh ok so instead of being an ingedient its more of like a cherry on top

:shifty:
Posted Image

#11 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 02:43 PM

haha damn mitch is becoming a vet.

It is a lateral move but this is chess not checkers. Strategy, kerr can learn a thing or two.

mitch was always a vet how do you rebuild?

1.you blow up a team entirely which is what he did

2.draft hardworking talented players which he has bynum, farmar, ronny, sasha all hardworkers

3.keep an ear into the league to find out where the firesales are at mitch did that obviously

4.stay patient and ignore star players requests for trade(well thats just how it went for us)

5.be the lakers which means have an elite coaching staff(kareem with big men and phil with basketball)

mitch pulled off suffering only through 3 years of mediocrity while teams like the celtics, magic, cleveland, knicks all take decades to rebuild

mitch was said to be the most talented potential GM by jerry west the greatest talent evaluator of all time and mitch has continually proven him right over and over again

i mean brian cook and mo evans for trevor ariza, kwame and crittenton for pau gasol, drafting bynum, not trading kobe and drafting nice role players like sasha and jordan

oh not to mention signing josh powell who noone wanted but is a 25 year old with a future in this league much like brandon bass

mitch is the best GM in the NBA only to be topped by the spurs GM who seems to just keep reloading but the test will come when timmy retires and they have to rebuild around tony parker

mitch better win executive of the year
Posted Image

#12 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted February 13, 2009 - 06:16 PM

I would definitely disagree, no one can "always" be a vet. thats a nice spin you put on it, but a lot of what has been doing and has been praised for covered up huge mistakes he made going through his growing pains as a GM. He is eons better now than he was when he first started.

i mean brian cook and mo evans for trevor ariza, kwame and crittenton for pau gasol, drafting bynum, not trading kobe and drafting nice role players like sasha and jordan

*He's also the one who signed Brian Cook to an extension
*He's also the one who traded Caron Butler for Kwame

And to stay on topic with this thread in particular, he signed Vlad to a multi year nuclear contract that everyone knew was a bad move but now has traded it away and got potential, cap room, and a trade exception in return. Showing growth, so much so that he can actually make up for his own mistakes and turn them into positives.

Edited by A_V_R, February 13, 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#13 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 13, 2009 - 10:30 PM

in defense of Mitch's bad moves, he knew that those players were the type of players that at some point would garner enough attention (get on hot streaks) to be a trade worthy commodity. Cook was important for one season and he was rewarded...he actually took a paycut to stay with the Lakers if you remember. Caron didnt fit, and Phil wanted a shot at making MJ's lottery pick look decent. Plus e and Jerry Buss have always loved Lamar's versatility. His consistency, eh not so much. Kwame was a failure but that contract wasnt too long, and to Mitch's defense(and Phil's) Kwame looked pretty good spelling Chris Mihm and that team could have done more damage if Chris could have came back, but anyway i ramble....Mo Evans was a solid pick up at the time, and I dont think the team is complete. i think by the 2010 free agency, the Sun's and even Josh Powell and Mbengas will be replaced with capable vet's trying to climb on that last push, of hat I expect to be two more rings for PJ and Kobe...how great would three more be(PLEASE STAY HEALTHY...u know who I mean) aiight im out
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,854 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:03 PM

In other words a great trade became greater.

#15 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:07 PM

The trade exception will help us get Shaq or Amare.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:12 PM

The trade exception will help us get Shaq or Amare.

if the suns traded amare here the fans would hang the whole suns front office

it wont happen

emplay you hearing anything about amare to cleveland
Posted Image

#17 fido

fido

• 10,854 posts

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:14 PM

The Amare thing is over with. The Lakers backed out because of financial reasons.

Shaq will come as a free agent after next season without having to give up anybody.

This is the kind of thing that will help push along an Ariza level kind of deal.

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:15 PM

The Amare thing is over with. The Lakers backed out because of financial reasons.

Shaq will come as a free agent after next season without having to give up anybody.

This is the kind of thing that will help push along an Ariza level kind of deal.

amare was an option :blink:
Posted Image

#19 fido

fido

• 10,854 posts

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Yes.

But it would've put the Lakers on the line for a significant amount of more money when they need to sign Trevor, and get Kobe back under contract this summer, along with the money they laid on the line for Andrew.

#20 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted February 15, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Yes.

oh well can't say i'm upset 2 years ago i would be pissed but after seeing bynum and gasol making the big deal doesn't seem to phase me as much

were we even a contender for him or was it just passing interest

i think they would have made us overpay just to sell it to their fans chicago is one thing but LA they would have asked for LO, sasha, and probably mihm

Edited by last stand 2.0, February 15, 2009 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users