65 replies to this topic

#41 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:31 PM

In his prime, MJ was 6'6" and a hair under 200 pounds.

But stronger than kobe?

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#42 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:32 PM

But stronger than kobe?

Probably.

Gary Payton wasn't stronger than Kobe, though, and he's one of the best defensive point guards ever...so that shouldn't matter.

#43 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:36 PM

Brewer and Miles combine for 33 points. Come on KOBE!

Probably.

Gary Payton wasn't stronger than Kobe, though, and he's one of the best defensive point guards ever...so that shouldn't matter.

He was pretty strong tho, he had to stick Jordan in the finals.

I'm just saying that Kobe needs to step it up on D to set the example for the rest of the team. He played great D before Shaq left, I doubt being the first option takes away from defense to that extent.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.

#44 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:37 PM

tHuG LyFe!!!

By far, the most informative post in this thread.

#45 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:37 PM

Brewer and Miles combine for 33 points. Come on KOBE!

He was pretty strong tho, he had to stick Jordan in the finals.

I'm just saying that Kobe needs to step it up on D to set the example for the rest of the team. He played great D before Shaq left, I doubt being the first option takes away from defense to that extent.

Tonight, there isn't a single player playing defense. Even Ariza is sucking. The Jazz players that are missing shots are missing them wide-open, and we are lucky we aren't losing by 20.

#46 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:38 PM

Got this from wiki

as the 1997 NBA Preview magazine stated, "Payton [was] quick, and strong as an ox", making him the kind of player who could frustrate Jordan defensively. Payton, at 6'4" and with a tough physique, was one of a handful of point guards with the size and body type to guard Jordan.

Tonight, there isn't a single player playing defense. Even Ariza is sucking. The Jazz players that are missing shots are missing them wide-open, and we are lucky we aren't losing by 20.

Exactly, so shouldn't our best player lead them on that end?

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#47 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:42 PM

Got this from wiki

as the 1997 NBA Preview magazine stated, "Payton [was] quick, and strong as an ox", making him the kind of player who could frustrate Jordan defensively. Payton, at 6'4" and with a tough physique, was one of a handful of point guards with the size and body type to guard Jordan.

Exactly, so shouldn't our best player lead them on that end?

Payton still wasn't stronger. I never said he was weak.

And do you honestly think that Kobe, playing excellent defense, would be the difference in this game?

#48 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:46 PM

Payton still wasn't stronger. I never said he was weak.

And do you honestly think that Kobe, playing excellent defense, would be the difference in this game?

Probably. if he locked someone up, the team would get insanely motivated. Imagine if Miles and Brewer didn't have 33 pts between them..them and deron williams getting by our PGs has solely been the difference.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#49 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:51 PM

Probably. if he locked someone up, the team would get insanely motivated. Imagine if Miles and Brewer didn't have 33 pts between them..them and deron williams getting by our PGs has solely been the difference.

So what does Dirk Nowitzki do to motivate his teammates to win 60-67 games the previous seasons?

#50 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:54 PM

Dirk doesn't mean as much to the Mavs as Kobe means to the Lakers. Dirk has teammates that play defense on their own and stay motivated. This team isn't self-motivated on defense, so Kobe, as the heart and soul of the team, needs to light the fire under the team to get them going on that end

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#51 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:03 PM

Dirk doesn't mean as much to the Mavs as Kobe means to the Lakers. Dirk has teammates that play defense on their own and stay motivated. This team isn't self-motivated on defense, so Kobe, as the heart and soul of the team, needs to light the fire under the team to get them going on that end

Fine. LeBron James. Chris Paul.

Didn't you guys argue earlier that the Lakers do have defensive players?

#52 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:10 PM

We do, but their motivation is back wherever they left it. I know we play better D than most, but I want excellence

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#53 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:22 PM

is this serious? i swear junyard is a celtics fan? and he is asking why isnt kobe like kg, and will his team DEFENSIVELY
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#54 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:27 PM

so? he should. i hate the celtics but i respect them at least.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#55 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:28 PM

is this serious? i swear junyard is a celtics fan? and he is asking why isnt kobe like kg, and will his team DEFENSIVELY

What's so wrong about willing your team on the defensive end? There are two ends to the floor after all :unsure:

But I also believe that Kobe doesn't have that Defensive will that KG has, mostly because he can't be the defensive anchor that Garnett is, nor do we run as formidable a defense as the Celtics. We should steal Tom Thibodeau from them. Soon.

Edited by L.A.K.E.R, February 11, 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#56 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:31 PM

its the manner in which h is asking...not the question in and of itself, but if u doubt kobe's d, then who's do u trust
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#57 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:34 PM

its the manner in which h is asking...not the question in and of itself, but if u doubt kobe's d, then who's do u trust

Absolutely. I agree that it's a bit unreasonable, but Kobe DID play atrocious defense tonight against the Jazz. Though it wasn't nearly as bad as Gasol or Fisher/Farmar. It's just a little frustrating b/c our defense is always committing the same mistakes (leaving shooters open, wide-open lanes to the basket, etc.), and not learning.

#58 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:38 PM

ehh, it doesnt bother me that much. I think people think in extremes. If we aren the celtics of last year, then we must be the MAVS from the year before or worst the suns from a coupla years back, and that could not be further from the truth. We have games where we play bad, but those games are like 1 outta 5...which is close to our losing percentage. But anyway 42-10 is great, considering that most teams are playing well in the league

ehh, it doesnt bother me that much. I think people think in extremes. If we arent the celtics of last year, then we must be the MAVS from the year before or worst the suns from a coupla years back, and that could not be further from the truth. We have games where we play bad, but those games are like 1 outta 5...which is close to our losing percentage. But anyway 42-10 is great, considering that most teams are playing well in the league

#59 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:39 PM

KG is superior to Kobe on defense in every way shape and form. Actually he's superior to most players considering he should have he's a top 2 DPOY candidate every year.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#60 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:43 PM

42-10 is nice, but if we don't fix our problems on the defensive end, and consistently get burned due to those problems, we aren't making much progress. As the season goes on, one hopes for their team to progressively improve and reach their peak come playoffs, but we haven't done that to this point.

We're an offensive juggernaut, but we're nothing special on the other end of the court, esp. with all of our losses coming in eerily similar circumstances. Improve on that end, and we're unstoppable come post-season. Leave our problems intact, well, don't be surprised if we aren't the last team standing, esp. if our opponents exploit our blatantly obvious flaws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users