65 replies to this topic

#1 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:43 PM

I am sick and tired of Kobe getting lazy on defense. Bash me if you want, but you know it's true. He let Von Wafer kill us, in that game against the Kings, role player Francisco Garcia went off for 23 points, and we lost. Not only that, but the backup two guard Bobby Jackson, had 15 points in 17 minutes. Boston game? Paul Pierce has 21, 8, and 5. He wasn't guarding him? Ray Allen, 23 points. Rondo, had 16 points, 8 boards, 12 assists. The 61 pt game in New York? Wilson Chandler has 20 points, and Gallanari with 10 points in 19 minutes. The loss against the Bobcats, felton and Diaw both almost had triple doubles, and Bell had 17 points, with Shannon Brown off the bench for 14 points.

I can go on and on, but if he wants this team to play good defense, he has to be the one to man up for a game and shut down a Paul Pierce, or Kevin Durant, or LeBron James[who almost had a triple double too]. Now playing shutdown defense isn't just limiting defense, but not even letting them TOUCH the ball, or even get a rebound, which essentially shuts them off from the rest of the game. If he wants to be the best, he has to one-up Michael and play straight jacket defense. It's not like we need him to score 30 every night now, and he's in good enough shape to expend the energy. Lead by example Kobe.

Let the bashing begin.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#2 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:45 PM

Even if he played top defense all the time, the impact of perimeter defenders is very low in the whole outcome of the game.

That's why I was saying that Bynum was going to be the best player in the playoffs, for he was heading towards a 25pt/12 reb/2 blk type of performance (projection). Big men are the key towards having a great defensive team.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#3 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:47 PM

True man. If he plays good D, Lakers play great D, if he plays good O, Lakers play great O.

#4 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:51 PM

Outside defenders don't matter as much anymore because so many people suck at that now. Inside defense is easier, imo. You just move the guy out of the way and try to block the shot, perimeter you have to worry about screens, change of direction, a pull up J...

and more? randy foye had 27 points on Kobe, so did D-Wade when we lost to them, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie Brewer goes off for 20+ tonight.

True man. If he plays good D, Lakers play great D, if he plays good O, Lakers play great O.

Yeah, I think if he goes on a defensive tear, the rest of the team will step it up and shut whoever they're guarding down. But he gets lazy on defense, for example, he didn't even try to block Durant's breakaway slam last night. Who cares if he gets dunked on? At least he tried, ya know? He prob would've blocked him. Plus Kevin Durant weighs like 190, so he could have shut him down, but he didn't.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.

#5 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:58 PM

Not necessarily.

Kobe plays good D, he shuts down one guy and one guy alone. You can argue that it makes an impact if it is against an elite player. But can he stop another player from getting hot? Nope.

You have somebody in the middle, not only are the responsible for stopping their own man, but they are responsible for stopping a whole team from driving and getting layups at will. You have a dominant shot blocker, teams start chucking from outside. That's what you generally want.

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:59 PM

He could just focus on one man the entire game (ex. Pierce), let guys like Ray Allen net 40, and be tired by the end of the third and hope to God that Gasol can score 25 in the fourth to lead us to victory.

#7 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:02 PM

Outside defenders don't matter as much anymore because so many people suck at that now. Inside defense is easier, imo. You just move the guy out of the way and try to block the shot, perimeter you have to worry about screens, change of direction, a pull up J...

Perimeter defense is way less important. Everybody in the NBA is so fast and has great first steps that it is almost irrelevant. It's rare to have somebody who can keep up.

Big defense is 'easier', but it's also IMMENSELY more important. And as for the 'ease' it is 'easy' in theory, but not easy in execution. Refs overwhelmingly favor swingmen when it comes to calls nowadays.

That's why as I said, when Bynum is healthy, he's equal to Kobe in importance, especially if he's contributing on offense too.

He could just focus on one man the entire game (ex. Pierce), let guys like Ray Allen net 40, and be tired by the end of the third and hope to God that Gasol can score 25 in the fourth to lead us to victory.

As you said, let Ray score 40. So as you said, even though the perimeter defender can shut down one player, it has no effects on the whole team's defensive play.

You have Andrew back health swatting 3 shots, it's not only 3 shots he's swatting, but scores more that he is altering, and a whole team changing their strategy from taking higher percentage shots in the paint to chucking.

#8 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:06 PM

Not necessarily.

Kobe plays good D, he shuts down one guy and one guy alone. You can argue that it makes an impact if it is against an elite player. But can he stop another player from getting hot? Nope.

You have somebody in the middle, not only are the responsible for stopping their own man, but they are responsible for stopping a whole team from driving and getting layups at will. You have a dominant shot blocker, teams start chucking from outside. That's what you generally want.

It's not like the rest of the team isn't going to respond to him doing that. if he shuts down pierce, guys liike Lamar, Pau and Fish will do their thing against whoever they're guarding. They shouldn't be tired, cause offense will get easier, and the adrenaline from shutting them down will give them the extra drive. Plus it gives the the thing that enabled Boston to beat us last year, that heart, that hunger, the mean streak. If he shut someone down and they still let Allen net 40, i would be pissed at whoever is guarding him. and kobe is a freak of nature, when was the last time he was tired in a game?

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#9 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:09 PM

Perimeter defense is way less important. Everybody in the NBA is so fast and has great first steps that it is almost irrelevant. It's rare to have somebody who can keep up.

Big defense is 'easier', but it's also IMMENSELY more important. And as for the 'ease' it is 'easy' in theory, but not easy in execution. Refs overwhelmingly favor swingmen when it comes to calls nowadays.

It's rare to have somebody that can TRY. If everyone in the NBA is so fast, they should be able to keep up eachother. So you saying you'd rather have KG get 10 pts with PP and Allen getting 30 each?

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:28 PM

Kobe gambles too much...yes.

Is Kobe a great defender? Yes.

Problem? No.

Its the team defense and rotations that is a problem...

#11 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Problem? No.

I agree

Posted Image

#12 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:40 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#13 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:44 PM

He should set the example if he wants the team to play better D. If he rotates and puts forth an effort, the team will follow.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:57 PM

It's not like the rest of the team isn't going to respond to him doing that. if he shuts down pierce, guys liike Lamar, Pau and Fish will do their thing against whoever they're guarding. They shouldn't be tired, cause offense will get easier, and the adrenaline from shutting them down will give them the extra drive. Plus it gives the the thing that enabled Boston to beat us last year, that heart, that hunger, the mean streak. If he shut someone down and they still let Allen net 40, i would be pissed at whoever is guarding him. and kobe is a freak of nature, when was the last time he was tired in a game?

It helps. But it doesn't completely change the game like you are making it out to be. Shot Blockers change a team's whole offense. It changes the way everybody plays, and changes team's offensive sets.

#15 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:01 PM

Problem? No.

Doc, don't you get it. It's an 82 game practice for the post-season. We're on schedule. Relax.

#16 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:03 PM

It helps. But it doesn't completely change the game like you are making it out to be. Shot Blockers change a team's whole offense. It changes the way everybody plays, and changes team's offensive sets.

But if you shut them down on the perimeter to the point where they can't drive into the lane, like stopping the pick and roll, the bigs would only have to worry about rebounding, helping to contest a shot, and box out.

we rarely get killed inside anyway. it's people cutting, moving, and 4-5 people on our team running to the ball that scews us up. that, and the pick and roll.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

#17 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,051 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:05 PM

You decide to make this topic... now?
LOL.

Kobe's been playing good defense lately, so I don't see why it should be a concern at the moment.

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:07 PM

But if you shut them down on the perimeter to the point where they can't drive into the lane, like stopping the pick and roll, the bigs would only have to worry about rebounding, helping to contest a shot, and box out.

we rarely get killed inside anyway. it's people cutting, moving, and 4-5 people on our team running to the ball that scews us up. that, and the pick and roll.

Interior defense is much more important than perimeter defense. Teams would give a great deal just to get a defensive anchor sitting down low.

Having a defensive monster in the paint means you've got a guy waiting for slashing guards. You can have the best defensive point or two-guard, and he could still get into trouble because of him helping out elsewhere on the court, or on switches...but the fact is, that opposing guard probably won't challenge the defensive forward or center in the paint, unless he excels at penetrating and kicking the ball out to shooters.

Kobe does what he needs to do on defense. If he didn't roam, Boston would light us up from beyond the arc.

#19 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:11 PM

He let Durant get by him so many times and he doesn't try to stop or hustle on fastbreaks.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#20 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:13 PM

You decide to make this topic... now?
LOL.

Kobe's been playing good defense lately, so I don't see why it should be a concern at the moment.

Kevin Durant last night had 31 and 10. not good D.

A defensive anchor just shows how weak your perimeter defense is. It's always swingmen that kill us, and who's defensive assignment is that? Kobe's. And on the roaming on Boston, they shot a better 3pt % than us in the last meeting, and a better FG% on Christmas. Doesn't seem like he's helping too much.

He let Durant get by him so many times and he doesn't try to stop or hustle on fastbreaks.

Yeah, he didn't even try to stop him..stayed down on that dunk, didn't even try to strip him or anything, or take a hard foul to make him earn it.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users