Photo

Fisher/Walton on Defense

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: Fisher and Walton's Defense (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Fisher a good defender?

1. Yes (26 votes [57.78%])

Percentage of vote: 57.78%

2. No (19 votes [42.22%])

Percentage of vote: 42.22%

Is Walton a good defender?

1. Yes (16 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

2. No (29 votes [64.44%])

Percentage of vote: 64.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:33 PM

We all know the answers, but vote anyways. Thanks.

#2 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:45 PM

We all know the answers, but vote anyways. Thanks.

Do you know what I voted? :)

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#3 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:40 PM

Then what was the point of making the thread.....
Basketball Reasons...

#4 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:46 PM

Luke is awful

Fisher is a bad defender, but considering most PG's suck at defense, he's okay...really good in taking charges, and defending bigger guards, but awful when it comes to quicker PG's.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#5 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:06 PM

Luke has almost no lateral quickness. He relies heavily on help D. Also has trouble staying in front of his man.

Fish can body up and take charges, but that's pretty much the extent of his defensive capabilities. Too often is this team burned by quick PGs.

#6 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:50 PM

Fisher is a bad defender.

That statement borders on irresponsible.

#7 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,074 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:58 PM

No andddddd no. Well Fisher has his good days, but for the most part he still sucks at defense. Walton - erm...no need to explain.

#8 elpermic

elpermic

Rookie

• 1,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:worthy, kobe, magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:58 PM

Nobody can contain Paul Pierce like Luke.

I'd plow Vanessa Bryant.

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:00 PM

This poll is best suited on an all-NBA site.

#10 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:09 PM

OK, all you Lakers fans who think that Fish is a poor defender, name 5 pgs in the NBA who are better on the ball defenders than him or understand team defense better than him. Don't tell me Chris Paul either because he's not. Rondo is a better defender and maybe Tony Parker and Deron Williams. All pgs are subject to high screen and rolls and they all cover the guy who is usually the quickest guy on the team. If he's such a horrible defender, what's his use on this mediocre Lakers team? Ask Deron Williams what he thinks about Fish as a defender. Where do you guys get this from?

D-Fish just stole the ball from Russell Westbrook! Must have been luck against that kid with his springier legs.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 10, 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:23 PM

OK, all you Lakers fans who think that Fish is a poor defender, name 5 pgs in the NBA who are better on the ball defenders than him or understand team defense better than him. Don't tell me Chris Paul either because he's not. Rondo is a better defender and maybe Tony Parker and Deron Williams. All pgs are subject to high screen and rolls and they all cover the guy who is usually the quickest guy on the team. If he's such a horrible defender, what's his use on this mediocre Lakers team? Ask Deron Williams what he thinks about Fish as a defender. Where do you guys get this from?

I need to ask Deron Williams because he played bad against him last game?

Well, maybe I can ask Fisher why Deron also dropped 26/7/12, 56% shooting on him the previous game, 35 points on 58% shooting back in November 2007, and 26 points on 56% shooting three weeks before that.

Chris Paul is overrated on defense, but he's still better than Derek Fisher. I have absolutely no idea how you can think otherwise; Paul's defense is exceptional compared to Fisher's. When CP3 gambles, he gets the steal. Fisher isn't as successful.

Fisher's use on this Lakers team is his leadership and his ability to hit open long-range jumpers. He's not a good defensive player, and non-Lakers fans know this better than anyone else.

#12 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:45 PM

D-Will is going to tear up Fisher manana.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#13 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:58 PM

I wish Shannon Brown can suit up tomorrow.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 10, 2009 - 11:22 PM

That statement borders on irresponsible.

Call me back the next time Jason Terry pours 30 on him.

As I said, most PG's in the league are bad defenders, due to their lack of length and size.

But to deny the truth is irresponsible. He's a bad defender. For his position, relative to other PG's, he's good, but overall he lets the opponent score WAY too much on him.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#15 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:05 AM

Why are there only two options? I consider them average, neither good nor bad.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#16 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 10:55 AM

He's not a good defensive player, and non-Lakers fans know this better than anyone else.

Non-Lakers fans are the last people I would ask. Your stats are useless, Real Deal. Put them into perspective against all the other point guards in the league who get burned. CP3 leads the league in steals. Fish leads it in charges (almost every year). A wash in 2 meaningless categories. The Bulldog is a tough defender.

Lakers fans should know this better than anyone else. You keep talking about how non-Lakers fans know all this stuff about Fish, Luke, and why don't we go back to Fox, Horry and Shaw. You make it sound like non-Lakers fans know more about the Lakers than we do. News flash: "non-Lakers fans" hate the Lakers. 'Nuff said?

#17 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:02 AM

Call me back the next time Jason Terry pours 30 on him.

As I said, most PG's in the league are bad defenders, due to their lack of length and size.

But to deny the truth is irresponsible. He's a bad defender. For his position, relative to other PG's, he's good, but overall he lets the opponent score WAY too much on him.

It's not that most pgs are bad defenders, they are the first players to run into the high screen and they happen to be guarding the quickest guy on the other team. That's probably why the triangle offense doesn't originate at the top of the key. Jason Terry has been burning the entire NBA this year. It's a shame he got injured. His output isn't on Fish or anyone else. L-fool, who do you know who keeps J-Terry's points down?

By the way, no one has named 5 better than Fish yet. All you guys can say is that he's "bad" or that he "sucks."

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:04 AM

Fisher is a good defender on bigger guards. But he has done a good job on Paul and Williams the last couple of seasons. Fisher knows how to be physical with them and frustrate them, but at the same time, they will give Fish problems. But its not one sided like many tend to believe.

Luke Walton on the other hand. Ummm.....

#19 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:12 AM

Fisher is a good defender on bigger guards. But he has done a good job on Paul and Williams the last couple of seasons. Fisher knows how to be physical with them and frustrate them, but at the same time, they will give Fish problems. But its not one sided like many tend to believe.

Luke Walton on the other hand. Ummm.....

Finally! Nice post. I totally agree. Those guys give everyone problems, even each other.

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Finally! Nice post. I totally agree. Those guys give everyone problems, even each other.

Chris Paul is the premier PG imo. He's going to get his. He averages 21 points and 10 assists. He is most dangerous when he drives the lane and kicks it out to his teammates, thats why you make the Hornets one dimensional and make him a scorer, but the key is cutting down his assists. Perfect example was against the spurs a couple of games ago. He went off for a season high 38 points, but only had 4 assists. Result? They lose 106-93.

Deron Williams is a little tougher because he is stronger. He is a more of a scorer then a passer. But you still let him be the scorer and dont let the other guys beat you.

Its basically the same stuff that teams have done to Kobe and the Lakers the last few years. It doesnt work as much because the team is a lot better.

Point guards are naturally quick. Thats why they play pg because they are small and agile. But when you're physical with them, they are not as effective. Go watch last seasons games with the Hornets and the playoff series versus the Jazz, Fisher frustrated them beyond belief. But on any given night, they can torch you even if your doing all the right things defensively, thats what talent and skill does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users