#61 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:58 PM

I've also watched Devean George, a one-dimensional starter (like Walton, who is a good passer), who actually hurt the team more than he helped them.

What dimension was that? Defense? Doesn't he have 3 rings? He never lived up to his potential, or maybe he did. But Philip made good use of his limitations.

Luke Walton is one-dimensional? If that was the case, he'd be out of the league by now. The way you talk about him he sucks at everything, which would make him multi-dimensional anyway.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 03:00 PM.

#62 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:58 PM

Why is it that you think that they are better teams, Real Deal?

He is expressing an example... so it get's through your head the hard way if it truly happened.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#63 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:05 PM

He is expressing an example... so it get's through your head the hard way if it truly happened.

I'm a fan who accepted defeat last year. It's a shame that you guys aren't happy with the team that Dr. Buss has so generously given us to watch. A crying shame. Maybe I should become a Celtics fan. Those fans appreciate their team.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#64 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:07 PM

Why is it that you think that they are better teams, Real Deal?

If you value the regular season so much, Orlando is a better team than we are.

If you don't, then the Cavs and Celtics play better defense, are in the better half of the league in offense, and one is the defending champion.

Maybe Boston is "pacing themselves."

What dimension was that? Defense? Doesn't he have 3 rings? He never lived up to his potential, or maybe he did. But Philip made good use of he limitations.

Luke Walton is one-dimensional? The way you talk about him he sucks at everything, which would make him multi-dimensional.

Devean George was no a good defensive player. Come on. All he did was get open to shoot a three...and to tell you the truth, playing off the ball was easier for him because of guys like Kobe and Shaq. When he left the Lakers, he became useless.

Walton passes the ball. He's got a good understanding of the triangle offense, which makes him an excellent passer -- because he knows where his teammates are. He still doesn't shoot good, still doesn't play defense, and causes us more problems on the floor, greater than his production for our team.

And you don't even need to know anything past the 2008 Lakers to know that, either. If you watch the games and see how late he is closing out on shooters (like Lamar), watch him get blown past by almost anyone with the ball, and feel yourself sweating right before he takes a wide-open 23 footer that he'll end up missing...then you'd know.

I'm a fan who accepted defeat last year. It's a shame that you guys aren't happy with the team that Dr. Buss has so generously given us to watch. A crying shame. Maybe I should become a Celtics fan. Those fans appreciate their team.

They also know when to criticize their team.

You just did, talking about how they lost all of those games after losing to us.

#65 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:12 PM

C'mon man, I know you guys are having this debate right now with Real Deal and this is probably sarcasm, but don't post this knowing you'd offend everyone else on this forum, you do remember the Kobe MVP chants right?
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#66 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:19 PM

C'mon man, I know you guys are having this debate right now with Real Deal and this is probably sarcasm, but don't post this knowing you'd offend everyone else on this forum, you do remember the Kobe MVP chants right?

I'll amend that. Those fans appreciate the players on their team. I'm sick and tired of all this lack of appreciation directed at Luke Walton. A one-dimensional player??!!! I'm sure Real Deal is chock full of criticisms about Our MVP, too. He puts MJ on a different planet from Kobe and anyone knows that's off base. I'm the one defending our players and head coach. He's the one who disagrees with Philip's rotations 50% of the time. You should be defending me, not him. I'm the one who goes to the games and understands the personality of this squad. He's the one who wants us to be something we're not. But then again, most of you agree with him that we should be 51-0 right now and that it wouldn't matter anyway.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#67 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:25 PM

I'll amend that. Those fans appreciate the players on their team. I'm sick and tired of all this lack of appreciation directed at Luke Walton. A one-dimensional player??!!! I'm sure Real Deal is chock full of criticisms about Our MVP, too. He puts MJ on a different planet from Kobe and anyone knows that's off base. I'm the one defending our players and head coach. He's the one who disagrees with his rotations 50% of the time. You should be defending me, not him. I'm the one who goes to the games and understands the personality of this squad. He's the one who wants us to be something we're not. But then again, most of you agree with him that we should be 51-0 right now and that it wouldn't matter anyway.

Haha, once again, you are so distant from the truth. Kobe is going to be the second best player to ever play the game when he retires, and he's my favorite player and has been since 1996. You're losing this debate by making all of your assumptions and trying to make yourself look better in the process.

Nobody expects an undefeated Lakers team. I just expect us to fix the problems we had last season, something we didn't do. Great teams play great offense and good defense (or vice-versa) every game...and when they lose, it has more to do with a slip-up, or underestimating the teams they play. We don't underestimate anyone, we just lose to them for the same reasons we lose the other games, and it's been that way for 1 1/2 years now.

Stop twisting my words to convince others that you're correct in what you say. We still have defensive problems, no matter what you believe, and we're not the clear-cut best team in the NBA.

#68 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:47 PM

Our defense is much improved over last season, Real Deal. I didn't twist your words. They were your words.

Here's an example: "We don't underestimate anyone, we just lose to them for the same reasons we lose the other games, and it's been that way for 1 1/2 years now."

I have a question. When do we lose? We've lost 3 games to teams with records under .500 all year. We've lost 9 all year. 42-9. That's right, on pace to win 68 games (although I think we'll lose tonight). Joel Meyers, who I'm not a fan of at all, basically said that there's no way he would have predicted this great record at this point in the season. Frankly, I predicted we would have a great record like this. I wish I had my takes from my old forum. So Real Deal, tell me, what is all this losing you're talking about? I get it, when we lose, we lose in the same manner. How about when we win? When we let teams back in the game after a big lead, how many have we coughed up for losses? One? Two? Have we not improved in that area? Why must you focus on the negative?

You just can't handle a rational, appreciative fan. You prefer the whiners.

By the way, I have already won this debate. 42-9. SCOREBOARD.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#69 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Ken, I'm not against you, I agree with certain points he makes like "theres always room for improvement in our defense, especially when we only choose to do it, which is not a good thing" because there are just gonna be times that we aren't going to be able to do that to a REAL opponent especially in the playoffs, and certain points that you make like "it's a long season, and we don't want ot get burned out" because we still have half a seaon left before playoffs and if we can get Home Court and our players rested more than everyone elses, we will have a superior advantage, but I can't TOTALLY agree with everything both of you two are saying. I do know we are all Laker fans and I just took an offense to that single statement that you made because we all know, Celtics fans are the worst bandwaggoners/whiners/complainers there are.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#70 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Our defense is much improved over last season, Real Deal. I didn't twist your words. They were your words.

Here's an example: "We don't underestimate anyone, we just lose to them for the same reasons we lose the other games, and it's been that way for 1 1/2 years now."

I have a question. When do we lose? We've lost 3 games to teams with records under .500 all year. We've lost 9 all year. 42-9. That's right, on pace to win 68 games (although I think we'll lose tonight). Joel Meyers, who I'm not a fan of at all, basically said that there's no way he would have predicted this great record at this point in the season. Frankly, I predicted we would have a great record like this. I wish I had my takes from my old forum. So Real Deal, tell me, what is all this losing you're talking about? I get it, when we lose, we lose in the same manner. How about when we win? When we let teams back in the game after a big lead, how many have we coughed up for losses? One? Two? Have we not improved in that area? Why must you focus on the negative?

The Celtics won the championship last year. Thus you lost the debate.

Simple as that. Defense gets you the trophy, and great offenses make you hyped up during the season.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#71 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:10 PM

The Celtics won the championship last year. Thus you lost the debate.

Simple as that. Defense gets you the trophy, and great offenses make you hyped up during the season.

First of all, consider the source. You. Therefore, by default I won the debate. I didn't know we were still talking about last year. From what I'm gathering from you Lakers "fans," nothing about this year matters about this year. It's still all about last year. Oh well, fools will be fools!

#72 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:13 PM

If the scoreboard shows you winning because we have more wins than losses, I guess you've been victorious for a while, even last season...

I've posted on many other team boards, not just a Lakers board, so I could recruit for my site. I was actually on a Suns board two years ago. You know what? They had appreciative fans. What's funny about that? Many of them were saying, "Man, we have the best record in the West, just appreciate that and MOVE ON!"

I laughed, chuckled a bit.

Phoenix hasn't done anything. Ever.

At the beginning of the season, the Lakers were blowing teams out. Why not now? Are we getting tired, or just coasting? Maybe that's the excuse. And no, we stopped blowing teams out while we still had Drew, so don't go in that direction.

The most annoying thing about any sports franchises are the Mr. Positives, the fans that think that their team has little to no flaws, the ones that "smell championship" and think that almost every player on their roster is valuable. Now, for fans of that particular team, it's probably the opposite...but if you think about it, why would ANY fan of that team want to hear the negatives in the first place? It only upsets them.

I don't get upset when I hear negatives, as long as they are true. The coaches talk about the negatives. You said you play basketball (or used to), right? Have you ever played for a team? What coach praises your team play more than he criticizes it? If you give me one, he's not a smart one.

You get your praise when you raise the trophy at the end of the season, when you prove to everyone that you made vast improvements after being destroyed by almost 40 in the final game of your last season. Yeah, it's nice to put us first in the power rankings. It looks good, sounds good -- and we deserve it. It doesn't mean that we are flawless, though...and if the players on this team believe it, they'll continue to play like they are now, and when it comes time for a grueling seven-game series, inconsistencies will be exposed the most.

As far as all of this goes, I'm seriously done with the debate. All you want to hear is how great this team is. All I'm telling you is that you heard all of that last season, and look where it got us.

First of all, consider the source. You. Therefore, by default I won the debate. I didn't know we were still talking about last year. From what I'm gathering from you Lakers "fans," nothing about this year matters about this year. It's still all about last year. Oh well, fools will be fools!

Nobody is personally attacking you in this topic, so don't do it to lakerfool.

#73 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Vlad Rad won't be happy if we win the Championship this year and he isn't a part of it
Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:15 PM

Vlad Rad won't be happy if we win the Championship this year and he isn't a part of it
Posted Image

Well, according to him, as long as he's getting his minutes and touches, he's alright with losing 45-50 games.

#75 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:20 PM

Nobody is personally attacking you in this topic, so don't do it to lakerfool.

Man, I'm lost. How did I attack him? Man, 7 years of college down the drain!

#76 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:39 PM

At the beginning of the season, the Lakers were blowing teams out. Why not now?

Excellent question. Here's the answer. Because we now know we can blow teams out. None of us know the subtleties that go into coaching at the NBA level. We don't know the experimenting that great coaches like Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich do. It's all a means to an end for them. For example, the 24 point comeback by the Celtics in Game 4 was more instructional for this year's team than the 39 point blowout. As I stated in a previous post, we are not losing games like that this season. We need practice at letting teams back into games and not losing those games. Yes, the Celtics won it last year, but they struggled in the playoffs because they were accustomed to blowing teams out and didn't have enough practice in winning the close ones. We know we can beat anyone. Don't underestimate what happened last year. Philip took a team that was a fringe playoff team before the season started and then went all the way to the NBA Finals with that team and even fooled the experts into thinking we'd beat the Celtics. Last season may have been his greatest coaching job. The staff and players have learned from their mistakes and have been practicing all year not to repeat those mistakes. You say that we're losing the same way we lost over the last 1 1/2 years and I say letting teams back in the game is by design. Last night was a prime example. The coaching staff thinks like you do, Real Deal. The regular season is irrelevant. I understand your point about getting into bad habits, but let the all-star break come and go and then you will see the screws tightened down the stretch. With good fortune, Drew will be back and be in mid-season form come the second round of the playoffs. Then we can all gleefully watch it all come together and win a ring. No one has our talent. No one has our depth. Now we will prove that no one has our heart. I appreciate your observations of our defensive lapses. I see them too. I'm just not the least bit concerned about them because this is a marathon which Phil Jackson is running with a purpose. Just like Pop does. I may be wrong, but I think that is the answer to your excellent question.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#77 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:58 PM

By the way, Real Deal, I really thought you were talking about Devean George's defense as his one dimension because that's the only consistent dimension I ever saw out of his game. That's why the Mavs signed him, not for his erratic 3-ball. I actually liked Devean George, but he ran his course. Yes, he was frustrating at times, but he was a nice compliment to Rick Fox and helped us win championships.

#78 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:00 PM

The most annoying thing about any sports franchises are the Mr. Positives, the fans that think that their team has little to no flaws, the ones that "smell championship" and think that almost every player on their roster is valuable.

The most annoying thing? Really? I thought the most annoying thing was people who are never satisfied no matter how well their team plays. People with no appreciation and only criticism. You know those type of people. Very annoying. Babyish, if you ask me.

Edited by Scott P, February 11, 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#79 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:00 PM

Ken, he's the type of fan who would rather have the Lakers lose to prove his point than the Lakers win and prove ours. He's the type of fan, who if the Lakers went 82-0 and gave up an average of 102 points a game, wouldn't be satisfied because they didn't D up.

Well, that was a huge failure of a post. I want the Lakers to win the championship, but they are going to have to play better defense before they do.

And since I know you guys don't understand that we haven't improved much since last season:

We went 22-4 with Gasol before the start of the playoffs last year (people say we lost five, but they count the Hornets game that Gasol was injured in, only playing two minutes total). That's an .846 win percentage.

We are 42-9 right now. That's an .824 win percentage, most of those games with both Bynum and Gasol in the lineup.

Last season, we allowed 105.5 points per 100 possessions, 5th in the league. It still wasn't enough.

This season, we're allowing 105.3 points per 100 possessions, 6th in the NBA.

We are 19th in the NBA in opponents' points per game. The only other two playoff teams that are behind us are Denver and Phoenix, two teams that NEVER play defense.

We are also 28th in the NBA in assists allowed per game, surrounded by the Wizards, Warriors and Clippers (three of the worst teams in the league).

We are in the bottom half in rebounds allowed per game.

When our opponent scores over 100 points, our winning percentage drops to .692 and, when we score 100 or more, our record is 10th in the NBA, while Cleveland and the Spurs are both undefeated so far this season.

Yeah, we have defensive problems.

#80 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 05:01 PM

Well, that was a huge failure of a post. I want the Lakers to win the championship, but they are going to have to play better defense before they do.

And since I know you guys don't understand that we haven't improved much since last season:

We went 22-4 with Gasol before the start of the playoffs last year (people say we lost five, but they count the Hornets game that Gasol was injured in, only playing two minutes total). That's an .846 win percentage.

We are 42-9 right now. That's an .824 win percentage, most of those games with both Bynum and Gasol in the lineup.

Last season, we allowed 105.5 points per 100 possessions, 5th in the league. It still wasn't enough.

This season, we're allowing 105.3 points per 100 possessions, 6th in the NBA.

We are 19th in the NBA in opponents' points per game. The only other two playoff teams that are behind us are Denver and Phoenix, two teams that NEVER play defense.

We are also 28th in the NBA in assists allowed per game, surrounded by the Wizards, Warriors and Clippers (three of the worst teams in the league).

We are in the bottom half in rebounds allowed per game.

When our opponent scores over 100 points, our winning percentage drops to .692 and, when we score 100 or more, our record is 10th in the NBA, while Cleveland and the Spurs are both undefeated so far this season.

Yeah, we have defensive problems.

You win. We suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users