105 replies to this topic

#41 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:45 AM

He effed up Phoenix in our first matchup with them in the 2007/2008 season. I believe all of his 3s were buzzer beaters that were coming with the shot clock going off or at the end of the quarters. That game was huge...everyone was saying we're gonna get blown out and that would be kobe's last game. That big win at Phx got us fans believing we can beat anyone but more importantly showing that kobe has a competitive supporting cast

LO was injured so he played big minutes

19 points, 4 for 4 from 3 point land 6 for8 from the field, 3 rebounds, 2 assists

It'd be better if you understood the game. Radmon said the triangle doesn't work for role players? John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, Ron Harper: all of these "role payers" excelled in the triangle. This statement of Buzzkill's just proves how he didn't get it and we are truly better off without him.

#42 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:53 AM

Our record indicates little to nothing.

I know you're the administrator and I'm supposed to kiss your a$$, but I gotta say that is the single dumbest assertion I've read on this site.

#43 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:59 AM

It'd be better if you understood the game. Radmon said the triangle doesn't work for role players? John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, Ron Harper: all of these "role payers" excelled in the triangle. This statement of Buzzkill's just proves how he didn't get it and we are truly better off without him.

He isn't the first one to complain either - Payton, Malone did as well. He felt uncomfortable in the offense and yet he was willing to sacrifice and do things for the better of the team. He did his part

I said if there was something to be done, I was open for it," Radmanovic said.

As a player you always want to play," Radmanovic said. "To be on a team like the Lakers, I was willing to sacrifice my minutes, my touches and everything else to be successful and for us to win a championship. Unfortunately it didn't work out."

Jordy also complained earlier this year and said its unclear what Phil wants him to do.

Edited by MDI, February 11, 2009 - 12:00 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#44 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 12:02 PM

I know you're the administrator and I'm supposed to kiss your a$$, but I gotta say that is the single dumbest assertion I've read on this site.

In 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, the team with the best record didn't win the NBA championship.

When it comes to winning it all, our record shows that we are the best team in the regular season. Nice. Dallas won 67 games two seasons ago and got beat by the Warriors, 4-2, in the first round.

All that matters to me is the Larry O'Brien. I don't care about anything else, including our record. We can be like the Houston Rockets in the mid-90's, go into the playoffs sixth-seeded, and win it all -- I could care less. I just want the win at the end of the season.

So before you start swinging your Lakers bat, thinking that we are a lock to win it all and have little flaws because we're 42-9, you should look at history and see that you're nowhere near accurate.

#45 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 12:06 PM

I'm the first one to say that defense wins championships. Because I've been a fan longer than you've been alive, I can see that this team locks down when it needs to. That's what your Bulls did. We're not one dimensional like the Bad Boy Pistons who relied solely on their defense. Were you on vacation last week when we beat the Chowds and the Cavs? 50-30 in the second half against a team who was 23-0 in their own house? At the end of a grueling road trip? Without Andrew Bynum? This team doesn't play defense? I'm missing something here. How on God's green earth you can't be thrilled with these Lakers is completely beyond my comprehension. Perhaps it's because the teams you've watched in your life are the antithesis of the Showtime Lakers. My analogy is that these Lakers are like the 15-1 Super Bowl Champion 1984-85 San Francisco 49ers, the most underrated team in the history of football. Their offense over shadowed their defense, but their defense was just fine and they crushed the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. We're like that.

Clearly you ignored all my logic about Luke. I'm assuming that you have never even heard of Bobby Gross. Talk about an unathletic small forward! But he understood the game and played with smart players like Bill Walton. He wouldn't even make a D-League team today. But like Luke, he was a fine fit for that team.

First of all, just because I said that Jordan and Pippen were the best duo in the history of the NBA doesn't mean that they are "my Bulls." You should jump off that horse immediately, because I'm sick and tired of hearing it. You're just pissed because they were the better duo -- doesn't mean you should take out your frustration on someone who knows it to be true.

This team needs to play defense every game. When does the team not need to? When they play the Magic? I guess those two games weren't so important.

I ignore your logic on Luke Walton because you keep thinking he's a good defender and "does well at everything," which is enough for me to laugh and move on.

#46 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:02 PM

This team needs to play defense every game. When does the team not need to? When they play the Magic? I guess those two games weren't so important.

I ignore your logic on Luke Walton because you keep thinking he's a good defender and "does well at everything," which is enough for me to laugh and move on.

According to your own logic, Real Deal, they were meaningless games. Only the Larry O'Brien trophy matters, right? Andrew Bynum wasn't quite Andrew Bynum yet and, in fact, the second Magic loss is what woke him up. This team needs to play defense when it needs to. That's its personality. Sorry we're not the Celtics who are doing us a favor burning themselves out this year. Or the Cavs. The only team that concerns me is the Spurs because like Philip, Pop knows how to control the pace of a season. With all due respect, I don't think you grasp that.

Keep ignoring my logic on Luke because until he sustains his next foot injury, you're going to be stuck watching him. Our coach happens to trust him. Same guy who coached "the" Bulls. Same guy who trusted the likes of Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Jud Buechler, Rodney MacCray, Stacie King, Jack Haley, an over-the-hill AC Green (1999-00 Lakers), Mark Madsen, and other guys who I'm sure you would say sucked and were over matched. So live with it and choose to close your eyes to the positive things that Luke Walton brings to this team at both ends of the floor. As for me, I'll defer to Phil Jackson. You obviously know more than he does about the players he coaches.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 01:04 PM.

#47 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:06 PM

In 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, the team with the best record didn't win the NBA championship.

When it comes to winning it all, our record shows that we are the best team in the regular season. Nice. Dallas won 67 games two seasons ago and got beat by the Warriors, 4-2, in the first round.

All that matters to me is the Larry O'Brien. I don't care about anything else, including our record. We can be like the Houston Rockets in the mid-90's, go into the playoffs sixth-seeded, and win it all -- I could care less. I just want the win at the end of the season.

So before you start swinging your Lakers bat, thinking that we are a lock to win it all and have little flaws because we're 42-9, you should look at history and see that you're nowhere near accurate.

I'll defer to Scott P's knowledge of NBA history. He's been following the game since before you were born.

#48 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:21 PM

Show me where I said we were a lock to win it. That's right, I didn't. I merely disputed your lame assertion that our record means little or nothing. As if home court means nothing in the playoffs. Puh-leese.

#49 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:24 PM

I'll defer to Scott P's knowledge of NBA history. He's been following the game since before you were born.

Most definitely, because I was born last year, and those previous years I mentioned mean nothing. :omg:

#50 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:25 PM

Show me where I said we were a lock to win it. That's right, I didn't. I merely disputed your lame assertion that our record means little or nothing. As if home court means nothing in the playoffs. Puh-leese.

He must have forgotten last season. The 2-3-2 format in the NBA Finals is also meaningless. We're not exactly the 2006-07 Dallas Mavericks. Or maybe he thinks we are.

#51 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:26 PM

Ah, because we were going to beat Boston last season if we had home court, right?

Are you going to go ahead and admit defeat to the Magic if we meet them in the Finals?

He must have forgotten last season. The 2-3-2 format in the NBA Finals is also meaningless. We're not exactly the 2006-07 Dallas Mavericks. Or maybe he thinks we are.

So THAT'S WHY WE LOST!

Damn, I knew it. We just needed home court against those Celtics. :rolleyes:

#52 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:28 PM

I couldn't disagree with you more, Real Deal. I sense that the only reason you like the Lakers is because Phil Jackson is their coach. They are not YOUR Chicago Bulls and to compare them to the Mike D'Antoni Suns is insulting and shows a lack of basketball understanding on your part. Luke Walton is not a "weakness" on this team. He is a "part" of this team. Buzz Kill was a weakness and fit in only sporadically. I'm sorry if Luke isn't Caron Butler, Richard Jefferson, Gerald Wallace or one of the other more athletic all-around small forwards in the league. But he is a role player who understands and helps execute Phil Jackson's system at both ends of the floor. Phil Jackson trusts him. Phil Jackson knows a lot more about him and his team than you and I will ever know. How you don't defer to Phil on everything is beyond me. I'll say it for the umteenth time: Luke Walton doesn't do anything great, but he does everything well. As opposed to Buzz Kill, who obviously never quite grasped it, Luke understands that the key to the triangle offense and the Lakers defensive schemes are the role players and he has understood that since his rookie season. If it wasn't for Luke, we would have been swept by the Pistons in '04. Yes, I am sick and tired of "Lakers" fans who don't appreciate what he brings to this team. He's always in the middle of the action and his coaches and teammates trust him. Call me a homer. I just think I'm slightly more sophisticated a fan than you and those who don't appreciate him. Arrogant? You better believe it!

NOBODY on this team plays defense, and Kobe is the main problem. Let Durant go off for 31 and 10. Von Wafer? Gil0 when he had 61? LeBron may have not scored much, but he almost had a triple double. So did Rondo. He needs to lead with example and he's not doing that.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#53 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:29 PM

Most definitely, because I was born last year, and those previous years I mentioned mean nothing. :omg:

No, I appreciate that you love the game. Scott P has more overall NBA knowledge than you. That's all I'm saying. He's seen trends and changes in the game over generations, as have I. I believe we are seeing some changes now, quite frankly. I don't think that the eventual NBA champion will bully its way to the Finals this year. I think you'll see a new sheriff in town.

#54 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:56 PM

No, I appreciate that you love the game. Scott P has more overall NBA knowledge than you. That's all I'm saying. He's seen trends and changes in the game over generations, as have I. I believe we are seeing some changes now, quite frankly. I don't think that the eventual NBA champion will bully its way to the Finals this year. I think you'll see a new sheriff in town.

Just because someone knows more about West, Kareem and Mikan doesn't mean they have more NBA knowledge. I'm sure my cousin's dad can tell everyone about what those guys did on certain nights, and all that jazz, but that doesn't mean he knows the game.

This is why I really don't like getting into debates with anyone over my age, because they take guys like Luke Walton and compare them to the 1960's bench players that were playing when there were little to no scouts (compared to today), eight teams in the NBA, and heroes that would come out of the woods for those very reasons.

Back to this topic, it's a perfect example of others thinking that Vladimir Radmanovic was good enough for this team. He started, correct? Phil Jackson had him as a starter for a while. Should I believe that was the right decision at the time? Hell no. Vlad hurt us more than he helped.

#55 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Just because someone knows more about West, Kareem and Mikan doesn't mean they have more NBA knowledge. I'm sure my cousin's dad can tell everyone about what those guys did on certain nights, and all that jazz, but that doesn't mean he knows the game.

In most cases it does when they are dedicated fans who have not only watched the game, but played it and coached it, too. For example, I believe I have a deeper understanding of Luke Walton than you do because I saw a guy like Bobby Gross play and how he fit in and why he helped make that 1976-77 Trail Blazers team a great team. I think it's important to defer to those who are more experienced in life. I know I do it. I wish my kids would listen to me, but they don't. But as they say, "you learn the hard way" sometimes. Let the Great Debate live on!

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#56 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:28 PM

NOBODY on this team plays defense, and Kobe is the main problem. Let Durant go off for 31 and 10. Von Wafer? Gil0 when he had 61? LeBron may have not scored much, but he almost had a triple double. So did Rondo. He needs to lead with example and he's not doing that.

OH MY GOD. That's perfect. Judge the Lakers on last night. Unbelievable.

#57 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:44 PM

OH MY GOD. That's perfect. Judge the Lakers on last night. Unbelievable.

These youngsters just don't grasp the concept of patience, Scott P. They want perfection every night. Ws aren't good enough. Now Kobe's the problem on defense. Yeesh.

For the record, I predict the Lakers will lose tonight pretty convincingly. This will be 8 games in 8 different cities in 14 days. Besides, they haven't put together more than a 7 game winning streak all season. The Delta Center (or whatever it's called) is a tough place to play. They have to be drained by now. Perhaps they can suck it up knowing that the all-star break is upon them, and maybe they want to break that 7 game win streak barrier, but I have a feeling that they can live with a loss tonight. If that's the case, so can I.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#58 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:46 PM

In most cases it does when they are dedicated fans who have not only watched the game, but played it and coached it, too.

Well that's good to know, because I've played and coached.

For example, I believe I have a deeper understanding of Luke Walton than you do because I saw a guy like Bobby Gross play and how he fit in and why he helped make that 1976-77 Trail Blazers team a great team. I think it's important to defer to those who are more experienced in life. I know I do it. I wish my kids would listen to me, but they don't. But as they say, "you learn the hard way" sometimes. Let the Great Debate live on!

I've also watched Devean George, a one-dimensional starter (like Walton, who is a good passer), who actually hurt the team more than he helped them.

#59 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:50 PM

These youngsters just don't grasp the concept of patience, Scott P. They want perfection every night.

If you're going to go in that direction, you old folk don't understand that there are more than eight teams in the league now, and having the best record at the all-star break means jack [expletive] if you continue to play bad defense, or as you put it, defense "whenever we want to."

No lesson learned, I guess. Maybe a Celtics repeat, or a Cavs championship, will help you understand it, unfortunately.

#60 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:55 PM

No lesson learned, I guess. Maybe a Celtics repeat, or a Cavs championship, will help you understand it, unfortunately.

Why is it that you think that they are better teams, Real Deal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users