• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 10, 2009 - 06:33 PM

I was happy too... I hope Luke Walton is next...

luke hasnt been doing too bad lately imo. i just want to get rid or sasha
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

#22 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:56 PM

I guess the feelings are mutual.

#23 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:00 PM

whats wrong with him speaking the truth?

He is right, he sacrificed his game for the better of the team. He did what Phil asked him to for the sake of the team . He started for close to a year and has been successful in doing his job of hitting a high percentage of 3s while defending adequately. The team is winning and suddenly 20 games into this year he comes into practice and learns that he's been benched without being given a proper explanation. Did he ever complain about Puke being played ahead of him? No. he handled it well

Edited by MDI, February 10, 2009 - 08:01 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#24 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:05 PM

He was nothing more than a Buzz Kill who was a waste of money and never even came close to realizing his potential with the Lakers. I take it back. He completely realized his potential; there just wasn't much there. HE DOES ONE THING WELL AND ONLY ONE THING .. SHOOT THE 3. Luke doesn;t do anything great but does EVERYTHING well. He's a smart, well-rounded player who Philip trusts. This thread needs to be moved to NBA Talk. Buzz Kill is now a Bobcat, thank God!

#25 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:06 PM

whats wrong with him speaking the truth?

He is right, he sacrificed his game for the better of the team. He did what Phil asked him to for the sake of the team . He started for close to a year and has been successful in doing his job of hitting a high percentage of 3s while defending adequately. The team is winning and suddenly 20 games into this year he comes into practice and learns that he's been benched without being given a proper explanation. Did he ever complain about Puke being played ahead of him? No. he handled it well

Thats a good way of looking at it. I'd like to see what the Lakers record was when he started. :unsure:
Posted Image

#26 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:15 PM

He's wrong. He sucked.

#27 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:52 PM

The only way we get rid of Luke is that we take on a contract just as bad as his. Know any players like that?

#28 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:59 PM

why you guys want luke out so bad

yes he may suck but he is a major factor for this team, his role is not to score its to make sure the offense is set correctly

his game is to pass and defend obviously, but really he isnt doing anything wrong you should be proud to have him on this team.

plus he has a really high IQ for the game.

stop saying to trade him please, he may be sucky but hell if hes the suckiest guy on this team then we are a hella of a good team.

#29 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:26 PM

why you guys want luke out so bad

yes he may suck but he is a major factor for this team, his role is not to score its to make sure the offense is set correctly

his game is to pass and defend obviously, but really he isnt doing anything wrong you should be proud to have him on this team.

plus he has a really high IQ for the game.

stop saying to trade him please, he may be sucky but hell if hes the suckiest guy on this team then we are a hella of a good team.

if he's not scoring, then he's not a threat which means they're gonna continue to leave him open all day to double Kobe/gasol.

His game is to pass, but he makes as many dumb passes (if not more) than good ones. He can't defend period. He's worse than Radamn. he isn't doing anything wrong...so was radman.

High IQ my arse...

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#30 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:27 PM

Luke Walton doesn't suck. Far from it. He's an important role player who understands the value of role players in Philip's system, as opposed to Buzz Kill who never got it after how many years? Luke understood it as a rookie. Derek Fisher understands it, too. How you unappreciative "fans" can consistently come down on Luke Walton after he has proven his worth is truly unbelievable to me. Chick Hearn must be rolling around in his grave when he hears this unknowledgeable garbage.

#31 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,331 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:34 PM

Name a good memory of Vlad Rad with the Lakers.

#32 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:36 PM

Luke Walton doesn't suck. Far from it. He's an important role player who understands the value of role players in Philip's system, as opposed to Buzz Kill who never got it after how many years? Luke understood it as a rookie. Derek Fisher understands it, too. How you unappreciative "fans" can consistently come down on Luke Walton after he has proven his worth is truly unbelievable to me. Chick Hearn must be rolling around in his grave when he hears this unknowledgeable garbage.

AMEN!!!!!

#33 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:36 PM

Name a good memory of Vlad Rad with the Lakers.

He effed up Phoenix in our first matchup with them in the 2007/2008 season. I believe all of his 3s were buzzer beaters that were coming with the shot clock going off or at the end of the quarters. That game was huge...everyone was saying we're gonna get blown out and that would be kobe's last game. That big win at Phx got us fans believing we can beat anyone but more importantly showing that kobe has a competitive supporting cast

LO was injured so he played big minutes

19 points, 4 for 4 from 3 point land 6 for8 from the field, 3 rebounds, 2 assists

Edited by MDI, February 10, 2009 - 10:44 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:39 PM

How you unappreciative "fans" can consistently come down on Luke Walton after he has proven his worth is truly unbelievable to me. Chick Hearn must be rolling around in his grave when he hears this unknowledgeable garbage.

He's shooting under 42% from the field, looked like crap tonight, plays pathetic defense, and shoots jumpers he should never, ever take. The only good thing about Walton is his passing.

Chick Hearn didn't overrate every single Laker on the roster, like the "appreciative fans" do. It's the biggest reason why 29 other team fans think we are the most annoying in the league, with our insane trade ideas and us believing that guys like Sun Yue (the Chinese Magic?), Walton (a legit starter?), and Chris Mihm (still able to play?) has any worth at all to any other team in the NBA.

The fact is, nobody likes Mbenga, Mihm, and Yue. Walton is a ghost on defense, and radical on offense. Ariza would be a very good overall player if he didn't launch threes, which is what he got in trouble for in Orlando and New York. Fisher and Farmar have little lateral movement, and have trouble playing defense because of it. Minus the last three or four games, Odom has been one of our most inconsistent players (congrats for stepping up when he's starting). Nobody even knows Powell is on this team. Gasol is an offensive juggernaut who plays inconsistent defense. Kobe and Bynum are the two guys I trust on both sides of the court, only because I know they can produce each night that way.

If people consider you less of a fan because you point out your team's weaknesses, then those people aren't paying attention to the other 29 teams in the NBA, and are oblivious to any mistakes we make on the court. We have less than 10 losses this season, but all of them are coming for the same exact reason: no defense in the frontcourt, no defense at the point, lack of rebounding late in the game. We lost to the Pacers and Bobcats because of it. We lost both games to Orlando because of those. Our loss to Miami was for those reasons.

Our record indicates little to nothing. We can "Phoenix Sun" our way through the regular season, but if we don't fix our consistent problems, we are going to hit a road block in the playoffs, just as the Suns, Mavs and Kings (60-win teams for years) have always done in the past.

#35 EchoZulu

EchoZulu

EazyRidin'

• 98 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Chuck Nevitt

Posted February 11, 2009 - 12:13 AM

How you unappreciative "fans" can consistently come down on Luke Walton after he has proven his worth is truly unbelievable to me.

:hysterical: :lolabove: :lol: :lol: :lolabove:

Proven his worth?? You can't be serious?...What? When? Where? and How?

The only reason why Lukey's still on the Lakers (and in the NBA for that matter) is because of Philly's unexplainable infatuation with the guy. The teachers' pet, as I like to call him, has digressed noticeably ever since he got that unwarranted contract from the Lakers. He's obviously a siv defensively, which in turn puts the team 4 on 5 on that end....and he is putrid offensively, which puts the team 4 on 5 on that end. So, where and how does he help the team?

Please don't tell me about his knowledge of the triangle, or the fact that he has a high basketball IQ because to me that's just an excuse of how nonathletic and deficient he is as a contributing member to our Lakers.

Luke Walton SUCKS!

#36 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:27 AM

He's shooting under 42% from the field, looked like crap tonight, plays pathetic defense, and shoots jumpers he should never, ever take. The only good thing about Walton is his passing.

Chick Hearn didn't overrate every single Laker on the roster, like the "appreciative fans" do. It's the biggest reason why 29 other team fans think we are the most annoying in the league, with our insane trade ideas and us believing that guys like Sun Yue (the Chinese Magic?), Walton (a legit starter?), and Chris Mihm (still able to play?) has any worth at all to any other team in the NBA.

The fact is, nobody likes Mbenga, Mihm, and Yue. Walton is a ghost on defense, and radical on offense. Ariza would be a very good overall player if he didn't launch threes, which is what he got in trouble for in Orlando and New York. Fisher and Farmar have little lateral movement, and have trouble playing defense because of it. Minus the last three or four games, Odom has been one of our most inconsistent players (congrats for stepping up when he's starting). Nobody even knows Powell is on this team. Gasol is an offensive juggernaut who plays inconsistent defense. Kobe and Bynum are the two guys I trust on both sides of the court, only because I know they can produce each night that way.

If people consider you less of a fan because you point out your team's weaknesses, then those people aren't paying attention to the other 29 teams in the NBA, and are oblivious to any mistakes we make on the court. We have less than 10 losses this season, but all of them are coming for the same exact reason: no defense in the frontcourt, no defense at the point, lack of rebounding late in the game. We lost to the Pacers and Bobcats because of it. We lost both games to Orlando because of those. Our loss to Miami was for those reasons.

Our record indicates little to nothing. We can "Phoenix Sun" our way through the regular season, but if we don't fix our consistent problems, we are going to hit a road block in the playoffs, just as the Suns, Mavs and Kings (60-win teams for years) have always done in the past.

I couldn't disagree with you more, Real Deal. I sense that the only reason you like the Lakers is because Phil Jackson is their coach. They are not YOUR Chicago Bulls and to compare them to the Mike D'Antoni Suns is insulting and shows a lack of basketball understanding on your part. Luke Walton is not a "weakness" on this team. He is a "part" of this team. Buzz Kill was a weakness and fit in only sporadically. I'm sorry if Luke isn't Caron Butler, Richard Jefferson, Gerald Wallace or one of the other more athletic all-around small forwards in the league. But he is a role player who understands and helps execute Phil Jackson's system at both ends of the floor. Phil Jackson trusts him. Phil Jackson knows a lot more about him and his team than you and I will ever know. How you don't defer to Phil on everything is beyond me. I'll say it for the umteenth time: Luke Walton doesn't do anything great, but he does everything well. As opposed to Buzz Kill, who obviously never quite grasped it, Luke understands that the key to the triangle offense and the Lakers defensive schemes are the role players and he has understood that since his rookie season. If it wasn't for Luke, we would have been swept by the Pistons in '04. Yes, I am sick and tired of "Lakers" fans who don't appreciate what he brings to this team. He's always in the middle of the action and his coaches and teammates trust him. Call me a homer. I just think I'm slightly more sophisticated a fan than you and those who don't appreciate him. Arrogant? You better believe it!

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#37 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:56 AM

I sense that the only reason you like the Lakers is because Phil Jackson is their coach.

You just lost all of your credibility there by assuming that. I don't even like Phil's rotations 50% of the time, and I think he needs to coach defense, instead of his theory that the best defense is a good offense.

Just because you appreciate every player on this roster doesn't give you more knowledge than anyone else here, so let's set that on the table right now. I can criticize every player in the NBA, because quite frankly, every single one of them has flaws. You can't, simple as that.

And you just said that Luke Walton does everything well. Everything? See, it's those comments that I cannot keep from laughing at, because Luke Walton doesn't shoot well, he doesn't defend well, he doesn't block shots, isn't a good help defender, and isn't clutch at all. Kobe and Ariza defend very well. Bynum defends well. Walton is not on their level, defensively.

If you took this to an NBA message board, the non-Lakers fans would murder every post you had about Luke Walton. I would know this better than anyone else.

It's a waste for me to continue arguing with a Lakers fan that thinks that way. It's fine to be a homer, but it turns disgusting when you start questioning others as fans, and their knowledge for the game of basketball, just because they don't have the same mindset as you do about your "perfect team."

#38 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 10:15 AM

You just lost all of your credibility there by assuming that. I don't even like Phil's rotations 50% of the time, and I think he needs to coach defense, instead of his theory that the best defense is a good offense.

Just because you appreciate every player on this roster doesn't give you more knowledge than anyone else here, so let's set that on the table right now. I can criticize every player in the NBA, because quite frankly, every single one of them has flaws. You can't, simple as that.

And you just said that Luke Walton does everything well. Everything? See, it's those comments that I cannot keep from laughing at, because Luke Walton doesn't shoot well, he doesn't defend well, he doesn't block shots, isn't a good help defender, and isn't clutch at all. Kobe and Ariza defend very well. Bynum defends well. Walton is not on their level, defensively.

If you took this to an NBA message board, the non-Lakers fans would murder every post you had about Luke Walton. I would know this better than anyone else.

It's a waste for me to continue arguing with a Lakers fan that thinks that way. It's fine to be a homer, but it turns disgusting when you start questioning others as fans, and their knowledge for the game of basketball, just because they don't have the same mindset as you do about your "perfect team."

This isn't the Celtics or the Cavs or whomever else holds teams to 90 ppg. It's the 2008-09 Lakers, who resemble the Showtime Lakers more than they do the Suns or Mavs who got taken out by the 8th seed Warriors. It is a TEAM that is 42-9 and wins any way they have to. It's an offensive juggernaut that has the luxury of relaxing on defense because it can outscore its opponent, but who locks down on defense when they have to. I've been a fan of the NBA since my father got us season tickets to the "new" Madison Square Garden when it opened in 1968. I watched the ultimate "team" win a championship the next year. And they were loaded with role players from Bill Bradley to Dick Barnett to Mike Riordan to Cazzie Russell to Dave Stallworth. Philip was one of their role players when they won it again in 1973 when they beat the Lakers in 5 with an old Jerry Lucas as their starting center. Fast forward to to 1976-77 Portland Trail Blazers and you have a starting 5 that included role players like Bobby Gross at small forward and Dave Twardzik at one of the guard positions. And what about your Bulls and all their role players? How about Shaw, Horry, Fox and Fish? They were always considered to be untradable because other teams thought they weren't athletic enough. But they were smart role players.

Sure, it would be nice to have Deron Williams at the point and Tayshaun Prince at the small forward position, but the salary cap precludes us from having an all-star at every position. Luke Walton fits Philip's system. It requires a high basketball IQ at both ends of the floor, which he has. I disagree with your thrashing of his talents. He handles the ball well for a 6'8" guy, he's an exceptional passer, and an adequate defender, shooter and rebounder. He'll never be an all star and he's probably one of the least athletic small forwards in the league, but the Lakers don't need him to be anything more than the player he is. I hope this explains why it annoys me that people want to "get rid of him." What's more annoying is that they actually prefer Buzz kill over him. That's just plain ... never mind.

As for your disagreeing with Philip's rotations 50% of the time, that is more a defense of what I am saying than your position, Real Deal. I cringe sometimes when he makes certain substitutions, but I always defer to him. He's the one with 9 rings and his championship teams always played some pretty darn good defense when it counted, as this team is doing. We happen to lead the league in points off turnovers. Not a bad stat. He's brilliant at developing players and getting them to think on their own at both ends of the court. He knows it's a long season and his substitution patterns have everything to do with the long haul. We could be witnessing a great team this year. I don't love all our players. I'm thrilled that Mitch figured out a way to dispose of Buzz Kill and I'm frustrated by Farmar's and Sasha's play for the most part this year, but not Luke's. But man am I ever thrilled with the product we are watching!

And I'm thrilled that Luke "The Glue" Walton is a part of it.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 10:20 AM.

#39 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 10:23 AM

You are satisfied with Luke Walton, but frustrated by Farmar?

If you've been a fan longer than I've been alive, you'd know by now that defense wins championships.

And we don't need an all-star at every position. Ariza isn't an all-star, and I love the guy being on our roster.

You're misunderstanding the entire point of my argument. We've lost nine games? That's good. Regular season wins don't translate into playoff victories. This team doesn't play defense. You can give me all the offensive numbers you want, but with 3-5 minutes left in the game, our team folds like a lawn chair, defensively, and that will be the fall of us. Ask Doc Rivers.

Praying to God that Kobe will give us a 20-point fourth quarter just to keep us ahead isn't going to work in a seven-game series. And, out of everyone on this team, Luke "The Glue" Walton sure the hell won't be doing anything remotely close to that, because most of the time, the glue is in between his shoes and the court, when his opponent blows past him for an easy bucket.

#40 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 10:35 AM

You are satisfied with Luke Walton, but frustrated by Farmar?

If you've been a fan longer than I've been alive, you'd know by now that defense wins championships.

And we don't need an all-star at every position. Ariza isn't an all-star, and I love the guy being on our roster.

You're misunderstanding the entire point of my argument. We've lost nine games? That's good. Regular season wins don't translate into playoff victories. This team doesn't play defense. You can give me all the offensive numbers you want, but with 3-5 minutes left in the game, our team folds like a lawn chair, defensively, and that will be the fall of us. Ask Doc Rivers.

Praying to God that Kobe will give us a 20-point fourth quarter just to keep us ahead isn't going to work in a seven-game series. And, out of everyone on this team, Luke "The Glue" Walton sure the hell won't be doing anything remotely close to that, because most of the time, the glue is in between his shoes and the court, when his opponent blows past him for an easy bucket.

I'm the first one to say that defense wins championships. Because I've been a fan longer than you've been alive, I can see that this team locks down when it needs to. That's what your Bulls did. We're not one dimensional like the Bad Boy Pistons who relied solely on their defense. Were you on vacation last week when we beat the Chowds and the Cavs? 50-30 in the second half against a team who was 23-0 in their own house? At the end of a grueling road trip? Without Andrew Bynum? This team doesn't play defense? I'm missing something here. How on God's green earth you can't be thrilled with these Lakers is completely beyond my comprehension. Perhaps it's because the teams you've watched in your life are the antithesis of the Showtime Lakers. My analogy is that these Lakers are like the 15-1 Super Bowl Champion 1984-85 San Francisco 49ers, the most underrated team in the history of football. Their offense over shadowed their defense, but their defense was just fine and they crushed the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. We're like that.

Clearly you ignored all my logic about Luke. I'm assuming that you have never even heard of Bobby Gross. Talk about an unathletic small forward! But he understood the game and played with smart players like Bill Walton. He wouldn't even make a D-League team today. But like Luke, he was a fine fit for that team.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 11, 2009 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users