Photo

Stein claims Bynum's knee injury is worse than expected?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 The Gemini Method

The Gemini Method

The Rather Weathered Infamous

• 196 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 10, 2009 - 11:49 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to take what Stein said as proof as a more sinister injury without reading the context of the article. It has been said previous that he was referring in past tense to the original hope that it was either a really bad sprain or a hyperextension. Also, it's to premature to already make assumptions that he is injury prone. Both injuries were the result of interference from another player--so, there isn't necessarily a correlation between the two injuries and a Bill Walton/Sam Bowie type future. If this would happen in 2010, then you might have a case. It's really up to how fast his body likes to heal and his drive to get back on the court. It is also better to get back 100% than to risk permanent injury and come back 85%-90%.

#22 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:04 PM

:(
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#23 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Based on history and just the fact that this one looked so much worse to me than the other one, I have long already prepared myself for the worst case scenario, but, that being said, I still hold a glimpse of optimism & hope, don't wanna' be cynical 100%.

I hope and pray I'm wrong, but like I said, don't wanna' get myself too down if my hopes get up so I'm goin' in with the worst case scenario mentality so if something good happens to my surprise, it'll be even better.

#24 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,225 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:12 PM

well seeing as its a definitive injury and an MRI shows the severity i doubt it is worse

unless we had cavemen doing the reading of the MRI

or he slipped down the stairs
Posted Image

#25 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:16 PM

As bad as their TEAM is doing right now, we should steal some of Phoenix's medical staff to work with Bynum. We all know the 'miracles' that they can pull.

#26 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:25 PM

Lol after reading the whole article I saw that Stein didn't really say anything at all. I agree with the notion that he's just saying how a lot of people didn't know it would be an MCL tear, he's not saying it's worse than the estimated 8-12 week estimate.

#27 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:13 PM

i don't know why Stein would throw that crap out there without going into detail about it. It's worse? Says who and what makes it worse? If he couldn't answer that he shouldn't have written it.

#28 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:16 PM

Still neutral .

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:18 PM

Like a couple others in the thread already said, I think hes basing that off the preliminary reports of doctors and Lakers members saying they didnt think it was worse then last year.

Plus if he is already going to start rehabbing on a stationary bike, its a good sign for Bynum and Laker fans.

#30 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:21 PM

i don't know why Stein would throw that crap out there without going into detail about it. It's worse? Says who and what makes it worse? If he couldn't answer that he shouldn't have written it.

Sensationalism.

He didn't lie. He just used a subject that people are always waiting on pins and needles to hear about. And you can NEVER go wrong with an article about bad news for the LAKERS!!!!

No biggie. It's not like he could make it any worse that it already was. Bynum seems to be right on schedule.

Another month and he should either be cleared to do light workouts with absolutely no contact (on-court) or they are going to need to go back and take another look...possibly surgery.

Early to mid March, we will know exactly how good or bad it is/was. We should have a return date accurate to a week or so.

#31 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:24 PM

Like a couple others in the thread already said, I think hes basing that off the preliminary reports of doctors and Lakers members saying they didnt think it was worse then last year.

Plus if he is already going to start rehabbing on a stationary bike, its a good sign for Bynum and Laker fans.

If he's already preparing to get on the bike, that's great news...though, really, it's just about on schedule based on the original diagnosis/prognosis.

Pain and swelling. I just hope they get it right this time. Last time, they ignored all of the diagnostically significant indicators. Lightning can't possibly strike twice in the same player...

#32 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:28 PM

If he's already preparing to get on the bike, that's great news...though, really, it's just about on schedule based on the original diagnosis/prognosis.

Pain and swelling. I just hope they get it right this time. Last time, they ignored all of the diagnostically significant indicators. Lightning can't possibly strike twice in the same player...

The one thing that worries me though is the talk of "no surgery." I talked to my buddy who tore his MCL and he had surgery but he had a complete tear. Yet, the talk is Bynum had a significant tear to his MCL, so i'm hoping that surgery doesnt end up being required.

#33 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:36 PM

The one thing that worries me though is the talk of "no surgery." I talked to my buddy who tore his MCL and he had surgery but he had a complete tear. Yet, the talk is Bynum had a significant tear to his MCL, so i'm hoping that surgery doesnt end up being required.

That's always an issue with this type of injury. As long as they stay on top of the imaging, pain and swelling and make sure he doesn't try to do too much, too quickly, I'm confident that a competent orthoped can treat this injury successfully without surgery 90-95% of the time.

Haste makes waste. If he follows directions up front, he'll be on the court alot sooner. If not, surgery may be required to repair damage from over-zealousness in the rehab phase.

#34 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:41 PM

That's always an issue with this type of injury. As long as they stay on top of the imaging, pain and swelling and make sure he doesn't try to do too much, too quickly, I'm confident that a competent orthoped can treat this injury successfully without surgery 90-95% of the time.

Haste makes waste. If he follows directions up front, he'll be on the court alot sooner. If not, surgery may be required to repair damage from over-zealousness in the rehab phase.

Im confident though the training staff will not mess up on Bynum for a second straight season (knocks on wood). They know how much crap they got last year from the fans. Imagine this year?

#35 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:56 PM

You and me both. I feel they have learned their lesson and to a larger extent, Bynum has grown up. I think last year, he shopped for a diagnosis. That was a major contributor to a surgery that it was CLEAR he needed 2 months before he got it.

If they don't get it right this year, more than the Lakers Championship hopes are in danger. Bynum was lucky to round into form so quickly this year. Another major setback and that lowers his ceiling of development and affects how great he could become. He is a project but after a certain amount of time, he won't be interested in learning new things and expanding his game. He'll rest on his laurels. That's the only thing I'm afraid of when it comes to long term effect of these injuries.

#36 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 11, 2009 - 12:22 AM

I seriously doubt a radiologist (or an orthoped) missed a complete tear on the MRI.

I've seen some Rads miss stuff before LOL, but I'm pretty sure there have been a TON of M.D.'s that have looked at the images already.
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#37 The Gemini Method

The Gemini Method

The Rather Weathered Infamous

• 196 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:39 AM

I've had a slight/moderate tear of the MCL before, and though I had a similar diagnosis, I think it would serve to notice that I didn't have the support (nor the money) to afford such high opinions. Before anyone goes and beats the gloom horse to death, let's save our definitive posts until we're completely sure what happens. The Lakers are playing extremely well w/o Bynum, so there is really no need to hurry him back...

#38 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:37 AM

it's all relative - yes it was worse than expected from when it happened to the resulting MRI. The hope was it'd be about a month. Then they see it was torn, etc - so it's closer to 8-12 weeks.

But it's not worse than 8-12 weeks - in fact everyone is hoping it's closer to 8
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:38 AM

it's all relative - yes it was worse than expected from when it happened to the resulting MRI. The hope was it'd be about a month. Then they see it was torn, etc - so it's closer to 8-12 weeks.

But it's not worse than 8-12 weeks - in fact everyone is hoping it's closer to 8

Bynum looked like he was in good spirits last night. Thats a positive sign.

#40 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:41 AM

Bynum looked like he was in good spirits last night. Thats a positive sign.

So would you if you signed a 56 million dollar contract or whatever it is. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users