LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:23 PM

Kobe’s Moonball??

I think Kobe Bryant has a new shot to mix into the lexicon of the basketballs greatest most unblockable shots. There was Kareem’s Sky Hook and Jordan’s fade away now is it Kobe’s Moonball? Before one starts to scream at their computer and ask what the hell is going on and why on earth are we getting another Kobe/Jordan comparison here please hear me out. Because there is none, 2 different players at 2 different times.

I have watched every Lakers basketball game like it was a Religious obligation since 1995. And since then I have rewatched all the games in the 80’s and 70’s that I have missed thanks to ESPN Classic and NBA TV. After watching the last several games here I truly do believe there is something going on that no one has noticed or have just haven’t put a name to it yet. Well here it is Kobe’s Moonball.

Kobe’s Moonball is a shot I think he created over the summer while on the Olympic team. In the NBA finals and before that if you put a larger small forward on Kobe stayed in front of him and face guarded him you could hold him to the low 40s or even a middle 30s shooting percentage. Like Jordan when he realized he was getting old and the League wasn’t letting him hook defenders with his arm anymore he had to come up with a new shot in his repertoire, but something that became his formally and that is the fadeaway. Kobe’s Moonball was the same thing he was tired of being able to be guarded again and new that he needed a shot even the much taller Guards could handle. Also notice this year his shooting percentage has gone way up averaging a career high 47.5 %. Let me show you some examples.

Cleveland vs. Lakers first game this season. Fast forward to the 1:40 mark. Kobe recognizes he has James on the dribble rolls into the corner but when he shoots he can’t just shoot a fade away like Jordan does (he can’t Jordan was taller and slightly longer than him.) Plus Lebron is several inches taller than him so what does he do he shoots a high arcing fade away that can’t be face guarded or blocked. Everyone marveled at the amazing shot but didn’t quite realize what he had started.

Where does Kobe get this shot? I think is from Chris Paul’s high arcing runners in the lane while he played with him over the summer but Kobe put 2 and 2 together. He asked himself that if he could shoot a ridiculous high arcer from the outside with a fadeaway the taller larger defenders wouldn’t be able to face guard him or block the shot. Kobe toyed with it over the summer. As one listens to all the interviews about Kobe’s gym ratness and the compliments he got from his teammates. For something that was supposed to be a showcase about Lebronze it quickly became the Kobe show. Phil Jackson has always stated that it is unfair for Kobe to be compared to Jordan because Jordan was naturally taller and longer than Kobe and so that the court becomes a little smaller and the hoop a little wider for taller players.

Against New York, Toronto, Boston (4 minute mark) and Cleveland notice the same thing. This shot is absolute genius. So now I think we should name it after the only player in the league that can shoot it. Kobe’s Moonball.

Remember folks please don’t player hate, recognize the player who created this thing into our Basketball lexicon please send your hate mail here. And don’t forget about here. But remember you can deny it but it is true he is the best player of his generation.

As this is a little to serious of a post for my own liking let me end it with a funny quote for you:

“One of the great things about books is, sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.”
-George W. Bush 1/3/200

Thanks George I always appreciated the pathetic humor you brought to our lives.

Ybserious.com

Link

#2 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Good post, good read. I'm amazed at people who call it a lucky shot. I'm like, did you folks not watch the first meeting between these two teams earlier in the season at Staples? Kobe did it there too, and just as good, if not better.

#3 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:29 PM

we need a gif of that in the gallery
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#4 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:31 PM

^ Yes please.

#5 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:33 PM

shocking..Not..just Kobe being Kobe..

:mvp:
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#6 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Unblockable? As soon as he tries it against a guy with a 96 inch vert, then he's screwed.

#7 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted February 09, 2009 - 05:57 PM

Someone make a video montage of this shot in different games please.

#8 SILO

SILO

Hi, I'm a Mac 

• 620 posts
  • Fan Since:was born a laker
  • Fav. Laker:ME!

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:08 PM

LD-

i think u can add this to a 08-09 kobe bryant mvp series ;)
you got steals, three pointers, layups, dunks, blocks and now . . . . KOBE'S MOONBALL!

i will take a stroll down highlight lane, cross the street to kobe ave and try to find those moonball shots.

Edited by SILO, February 09, 2009 - 06:09 PM.

#9 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:07 PM

Clarification: Is the high arc-ing shot Kobe made against Lebron in the 4th the Moonball?

#10 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:10 PM

^
Yessir.

#11 SILO

SILO

Hi, I'm a Mac 

• 620 posts

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:18 PM

Clarification: Is the high arc-ing shot Kobe made against Lebron in the 4th the Moonball?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jTZJoSBKLPE

#12 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:25 PM

^ Got that in the flesh. ;)

#13 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:48 PM

he can also use that as a game winner...
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#14 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 09, 2009 - 09:05 PM

i thought kobe was taller and longer than MIKE with MIKE having bigger hands and stronger overall
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#15 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted February 09, 2009 - 09:10 PM

i thought kobe was taller and longer than MIKE with MIKE having bigger hands and stronger overall

me too..and I remember kobe was lanky as all hell when he was younger

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#16 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:13 PM

didn't he hit the same shot at home against Lebron? except it was turning towards the baseline instead of the middle

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#17 SILO

SILO

Hi, I'm a Mac 

• 620 posts

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:29 PM

didn't he hit the same shot at home against Lebron? except it was turning towards the baseline instead of the middle

yea he did. right side baseline. posted up lebron for the same, moonball.

#18 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 12:44 AM

Unblockable? As soon as he tries it against a guy with a 96 inch vert, then he's screwed.

Against a guy that tall he'd get past him, since he won't be that fast. You must use the right tool for every situation and Kobe is great at doing just that.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#19 Sir

Sir

Rookie

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Name:This Is The Internet....
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:11 AM

me too..and I remember kobe was lanky as all hell when he was younger

exactly wat i thought... well wikipedia has them listed as the exact same height.. 6'6" (1.98m).
"Tryna Get That Kobe number, 1 over Jordan."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users