Photo

Who Is The Greatest One/Two Punch In The History Of The NBA?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Is The Greatest One/Two Punch In The History Of The NBA? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

WHICH DUO

1. Shaq and Kobe (32 votes [50.79%])

Percentage of vote: 50.79%

2. Jordan and Pippen (11 votes [17.46%])

Percentage of vote: 17.46%

3. Magic and Kareem (15 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Stockton and Malone (2 votes [3.17%])

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

5. Dr. J and M. Malone (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Twin Towers (Duncan and Robinson) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars (0 votes [0.00%])

8. OTHER (3 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 09, 2009 - 05:45 PM

Magic and Kareem....not even close

#42 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:02 PM

for me this is a complicated one.
Pippen and MJ have the most rings together and neither has one without the other, but Jordan and Pippen didnt always blend well in games and never had a legendary two man game. Plus the third member...whether Rodman or Horace or Kerr or Kukoc was always prominent.
Magic and Kareem have 5 rings, but Kareem got one b4 Magic and was past his prime for a great deal of the duo's paring. They did however blend well and had an extraordinary two-man game. But that's disrespectful,IMO, to James Worthy, and the other greats (mcadoo,nixon) that played through the Champion ship teams.
The duo that I chose, however , has zero rings, but heir chemistry and dependency on one another was uncanny. and you can name a few players on their team sbut still, it was them day-in and day-out.
Karl and John....they made the pick and roll a weapon of mass destruction and while they never WON a championship, they still had the best chemistry as a duo, and thats why they garnered my pick
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#43 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:33 PM

Koby-Gas actually makes a lot of sense. John Stockton and The Mailman fed off each other probably better than any duo in the the history of the game. Props to that analysis.

#44 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,798 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:36 PM

Koby-Gas actually makes a lot of sense. John Stockton and The Mailman fed off each other probably better than any duo in the the history of the game. Props to that analysis.

I agree with him as well. In terms of chemistry, Stockton-Malone is one of the greatest duos in NBA history.

#45 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted February 09, 2009 - 08:54 PM

thanx 4 da props. but i also just thought of something. Malone made stockton the all-time assists leader over our very own Magic Johnson, while Stockton helped make Malone the second all-time scoring leader, behind our very own Kaptain
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#46 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 09, 2009 - 08:58 PM

Kwame & Darko
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#47 xplayforrealx

xplayforrealx

Rookie

• 350 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Sasha Vujacic

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Kobe and Shaq even though they had their struggles during the playoffs at times..
Remember the 01 year :yes: . 1 loss during the playoffs.

Edited by xplayforrealx, February 09, 2009 - 10:15 PM.

Mike Breen: Walton can tip it. Bryant with the save.
Hubie Brown: Oh you gotta get a shot here
Mike Breen: Final Seconds.. Bryant for the win, BANG!

Your signature violates forum guidelines.

#48 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,312 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Magic & Kareem. B)

#49 elpermic

elpermic

Rookie

• 1,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:worthy, kobe, magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 06:10 PM

You left out the Bird/McHale duo..

I'd plow Vanessa Bryant.

#50 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 10, 2009 - 06:38 PM

If we are NOT talking about the duo itself and we are using the number rings as a major factor:

I nominate Bill Russell and any of the other HOFers on his teams that won for about a DECADE STRAIGHT...that trumps MJ/Pip, Kap/Magic and Kobe/Shaq by FAR.

If we are talking chemistry and duos making the team dominant based on their play with each other (the duo), then it's Kobe and Shaq...not even close there after.

And yes, I watched the 80's games. I have some of them saved. I watched the 90's games. I watched the new millennium Lakers. As for dominance and duo power, only Shaq and Kobe provided the widest assortment of skills and talent that was both overpowering and elusive while being at the top of it's game.

MJ and Pip were interchangeable for much of their run together (not the same...just switched responsibility). They were redundant.

Kap was on the way down. Worthy was MUCH more than a role player. You can't discount him when considering anything Kareem and Magic accomplished. Take him out of the mix and they don't win those 5 chips.

Kobe and Shaq were near bare-bones...everything else depended on Kobe and Shaq working well together. That duo made that dynasty. And they did it in a way that did not have precedence.

#51 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:31 PM

Doc, no Honorable Mention to John Stockton and Karl Malone? Remember, they toyed with Kobe and Shaq before Philip arrived.

#52 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:38 PM

Doc, no Honorable Mention to John Stockton and Karl Malone? Remember, they toyed with Kobe and Shaq before Philip arrived.

John Stockton is the only other point guard I put in the same sentence with Magic Johnson...that's including Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Isaiah Thomas, Big O and Mark Jackson...

That's how much I think of Stockton. I molded alot of my game after him (of course, I'm no where NEAR as talented). He had zero holes and was one of the smartest, most fundamentally sound players EVER.

Malone...nuff said.

That said, Kobe and Shaq's duo was more dominant...not as crisp or fluid but Stockton/Malone vs Kobe Shaq? Not even close.

Edited by GCMD, February 10, 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#53 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:54 PM

John Stockton is the only other point guard I put in the same sentence with Magic Johnson...that's including Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Isaiah Thomas, Big O and Mark Jackson...

That's how much I think of Stockton. I molded alot of my game after him (of course, I'm no where NEAR as talented). He had zero holes and was one of the smartest, most fundamentally sound players EVER.

Malone...nuff said.

That said, Kobe and Shaq's duo was more dominant...not as crisp or fluid but Stockton/Malone vs Kobe Shaq? Not even close.

No doubt. 3 rings. But in terms of their careers being in alignment for the number of years they were together, it's not a bad argument. With respect to MJ and Scottie, they were just as much in sync on the defensive end of the court as they were on the offensive end .. also a consideration.

#54 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Wilt Chamberlain (the G.O.A.T) and Jerry West (The Logo)
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#55 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Jordan and Pippen because they both got it done with two different teams.

During the second 3-peat they were the only two players left from that original team from a few years before.
Basketball Reasons...

#56 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:18 PM

But then again Kobe was still maturing as a player.

If you put that same Jazz team up against the 2001 or 2002 Lakers either one of those Laker teams would've wiped the floor with Utah.
Basketball Reasons...

#57 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:43 PM

this is very interesting i think we should keep this thread active

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#58 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted February 13, 2009 - 10:59 PM

i think so too. This is a true discussion. GCMD, do you take into account the games( i would guess 60+), where Kobe and Shaq were trying to outdo each other on the court, and though it sometimes produced great results, the energy wasn't reflective of a team game, or a collective vibe

#59 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted February 14, 2009 - 11:25 AM

Oscar and KAreem, easily the greatest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users