Gasol's selflessness

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, because DeAndre Jordan is easily one of the best scoring bigs in the NBA, and that's why he made Gasol look like a middle school defensive player.

Again, Gasol is one heck of an offensive player, and I'm glad to have him. If he'd play defense (along with Fisher), we'd be challenging the Bulls' 72-10 mark.

I remember Bynum defending DeAndre more than Pau. And last time I checked, Boozer and Duncan were good players.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#22 Sakata Gintoki

Sakata Gintoki

Rookie

• 103 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted February 10, 2009 - 01:07 AM

Pau is very underrated (even by Lakers fans who usually forget him and only think in Kobe and Bynum), and he´s underrated because he wants and prefers to give the show to others and focus only to help his partners.

I prefer Pau style of sacrifice himself for the team than Kobe and Bynum style of ''we´re trying to get more than 45 points per match!''

#23 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,683 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:52 AM

Pau is very underrated (even by Lakers fans who usually forget him and only think in Kobe and Bynum), and he´s underrated because he wants and prefers to give the show to others and focus only to help his partners.

I prefer Pau style of sacrifice himself for the team than Kobe and Bynum style of ''we´re trying to get more than 45 points per match!''

I don't think Kobe thinks that, but anyways, they are all great.
Posted Image

#24 Shade

Shade

Dunk like Machine! Bynum loves DESTROY!!

• 538 posts
  • Fan Since:FOREEEVERRR!!
  • Fav. Laker:Bynum, KB, Sasha and everyone!

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:55 AM

we are in GREAT TIMES. I mean this is the time to cheer, not spew hate

That is soo true. Now is not the time to hate on our team. We are winning aren't we? :rock:

Edited by Master Diwa, February 10, 2009 - 04:56 AM.

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:25 AM

your ability to go to stat sites impresses me. I see you dont understand the team concept. I forgive you, most dont. Most see the game as a group of individual match-ups. Those are the same people who say Paul Pierce and Posey defended Kobe so well. Or the same people who will say Walton did an incredible job on Lebron. Stats are misleading in a number of ways. Of al the players you named none were the most Dangerous players on their teams. I dont expect to contain Wade, and not expect the other guards to have above average nights.

And i am not cocky, i just know B-BALL. And the STATS dont tell the story. I would love to see Rambis' plus/minus. Let alone Horace Grant's.
I'm not saying I know MORE than anyone else, but when I hear certain comments it makes me feel like people dont pay attention the THE ACTUAL GAMES. I think Fish is the best defensive point guard has had since Hunter, he fights through many screen, he draws charges(most in the league) and offensive fouls on pick and he beats up guard on the ofensive end. No he's not J-Kidd in his prime, but he is a damn good point guard and i am sick of the nit-picking and whining when we are in GREAT TIMES. I mean this is the time to cheer, not spew hate

Just because we are winning doesn't mean we don't have problems. You should've learned that last season.

Fisher fights through screens and draws charges very well? Wow man, so does Steve Nash, who is a pathetic defensive player.

First off, you go and tell me I don't understand the team concept, then you tell me that Luke Walton (of all people) defends LeBron well? Do you not understand that Luke Walton would get destroyed by LeBron? LBJ is faster, stronger, and more athletic, and it's not even close.

You are suffering from "we-are-doing-good syndrome." When we do good, you don't see anything negative, and you don't want to hear anything negative. Fisher is a good defensive point guard? What the hell are you talking about? There isn't a single professinoal NBA analyst that would agree with that. Walton a good defensive player? Jesus Christ, man...wake up. Where were you at when no-name players were dropping career-highs on Walton? Did you not realize that I was naming average point guards, along with the superstars? ANY guard can get his on Fisher.

The Lakers are not perfect. The Lakers are not perfect. The Lakers are not perfect. Wins don't translate into perfection. I don't know how many more times it has to be said. You don't like the negatives? Good. But if you're going to call me out and tell me I don't know my basketball, after all the years of playing and the two of coaching, me covering all 30 teams as a writer and watching almost every game of every team for the last three years, then you might wanna open up your eyes a bit more or take off your Lakers glasses.

#26 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Gasol's greatness is more to do with the chemistry he creates with his teammates, and his ability to flow with an offense and get people involved. Setting screens, passing out of the post, he just does everything we need and does it so damn well.

He's not good defensively at all. That's why we need Bynum back to complete this team. That's why I'm an advocate for us trading Odom for a true center. Gasol is getting abused by centers who outweigh him and out muscle him.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#27 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Just because we are winning doesn't mean we don't have problems. You should've learned that last season.

Fisher fights through screens and draws charges very well? Wow man, so does Steve Nash, who is a pathetic defensive player.

First off, you go and tell me I don't understand the team concept, then you tell me that Luke Walton (of all people) defends LeBron well? Do you not understand that Luke Walton would get destroyed by LeBron? LBJ is faster, stronger, and more athletic, and it's not even close.

You are suffering from "we-are-doing-good syndrome." When we do good, you don't see anything negative, and you don't want to hear anything negative. Fisher is a good defensive point guard? What the hell are you talking about? There isn't a single professinoal NBA analyst that would agree with that. Walton a good defensive player? Jesus Christ, man...wake up. Where were you at when no-name players were dropping career-highs on Walton? Did you not realize that I was naming average point guards, along with the superstars? ANY guard can get his on Fisher.

The Lakers are not perfect. The Lakers are not perfect. The Lakers are not perfect. Wins don't translate into perfection. I don't know how many more times it has to be said. You don't like the negatives? Good. But if you're going to call me out and tell me I don't know my basketball, after all the years of playing and the two of coaching, me covering all 30 teams as a writer and watching almost every game of every team for the last three years, then you might wanna open up your eyes a bit more or take off your Lakers glasses.

Your criticism of the Lakers says more about you than it does about them. So the best team in basketball is not perfect? So what.

#28 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:50 AM

Your criticism of the Lakers says more about you than it does about them. So the best team in basketball is not perfect? So what.

So you want to tell me that Fisher and Walton are good defensive players, also? Be my guest.

Oh, oh...better not criticize the Lakers. Can't point out a weakness. That makes me a non-Lakers fan!

No, it makes me a realistic Lakers fan.

#29 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,313 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:40 AM

Last 5 games: 26 ppg, 12 rpg, 4 assists, 67% FG

If Pau wanted to, he could do this all season. But he doesn't. He only cares about winning. Never once does he complain about shot attempts, or getting less stats while playing next to Bynum.

It's ridiculous how undervalued this man is in the league. Pau is the epitome of a true champion, who cares about the team more than his personal glory.

Pau = Kobe 

#30 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:57 PM

Seriously, when's the last time Gasol ever made a bone-headed play? When's the last time you thought, "what was Pau thinking?"? Pau always makes smart decisions and just knows how to win.

As for Fish and Walton being good defenders, wow talk about not knowing ANYTHING about the game of basketball.

#31 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 06:12 PM

Seriously, when's the last time Gasol ever made a bone-headed play? When's the last time you thought, "what was Pau thinking?"? Pau always makes smart decisions and just knows how to win.

As for Fish and Walton being good defenders, wow talk about not knowing ANYTHING about the game of basketball.

i have thought this during the course of the game, b4 but not often enough to warrant a discussion. and I will continue to say that Fisher and walton are solid defenders. i think because they dont get many steals or blocks or some STAT that people dont appreciate what they do. And I KNOW THAT THE LAKERS ARENT PERFECT, AND THEY NEVER HAVE BEEN(even with Magic, James, and the Kap) AND THEY NEVER WILL BE. I wonder do some of you understand that. Okay real deal, you played b-ball on a high level and coached and have all the "street cred" when it comes to hooping. then why would you expect anything better than this. It seems like your Laker fan side. Or your Kobe fan side...needs Kobe's team to be so good that his title(s) are guaranteed and u can sleep easy.

And BTW...I am not the only one who thinks Walton and Fish play well defensively or should i say high IQ, physical Defense. And believe me, people dont salivate for Fish like they do for Nash, so dont even try that. Luke has proven that within the team concept he has Matt-Harpring level defense. he uses his weight and though he is slow and will get burned if he is put in a screen, or pick situation...I cant name a player who doesnt get burned every few games.
So while the Lakers arent perfect they are contenders and thats all we can ask for as fans.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#32 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 16, 2009 - 07:13 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...5Battier-t.html

This is an article about Battier, but some of the points they make apply to Pau IMO.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users