#61 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:54 PM

I like power rankings better:

SI:

Lakers #1 - So much for the idea that the loss of Bynum would sink their title hopes. With Lamar Odom playing very unlike Lamar Odom (i.e. consistently productive), the Lakers swept through the East, delivering messages to the Celtics and Cavaliers to end their 6-0 trip. In the first four games without Bynum, Odom averaged 16.8 points and 10.8 rebounds and shot 52.9 percent.

Fox Sports:

Lakers #1 - The wins in Boston and Cleveland were especially impressive for two reasons. They came on the end of a six-game road trip, when teams are usually tired. And Kobe didn't have to play great in either game. Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, the softies in last year's Finals, made the difference by outplaying the big men for the Celtics and Cavs.

NBA.com:

Lakers #1 - What a week for the Lakers. They completed season sweeps against their two most likely opponents in June (if they get there themselves) and finished their road trip 6-0. And getting a big game from Lamar Odom in Cleveland could have long-term benefits. Oh yeah, that Bryant guy scored a lot of points in New York on Monday.

ESPN.com -

Lakers #1 - If the past seven days say anything, it's that this team is better than last season's Lakers -- even if Bynum can't come back -- because of Pau and Ariza ... and if the Odom we saw in Boston and Cleveland sticks around.

craveonline.com:

Lakers #1 - No arguments about the top spot here, the Lakers secure it this month with a sweep of both the Celtics and Cavs. (1)

USA Today:

Lakers #1 - Pick for MVP, Kobe

Hoopsworld:

Lakers #1 - Despite playing without Andrew Bynum for almost the entire journey, the Lakers go 6-0 on a season-defining road trip. Kobe Bryant scored 61 in New York, Pau Gasol is Western Conference Player of the Week, Lamar Odom slapped Kevin Garnett's rear (literally) and Vladimir Radmanovic is a Bobcat.

#62 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:59 PM

Now those are more like it. And better yet, we deserved every compliment and then some.

#63 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:04 PM

All this jibber-jabber. USA Today got it right.

#64 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hollinger doesn't watch the game. He looks at the stats.

If anyone thinks they can critique and analyze basketball based on the numbers alone, you are sorely mistaken...

That, or you've never played basketball.

There are just too many factors there. And since he's using numbers that are likely going to level off over the course of the season, there won't be much weekly variation later on in the season. That's yet another reason his system is flawed.

And the relationship between the numbers he's picked are not without exception or qualification. To try to establish a direct correlation takes him from the realm of mathematics and statistics to the esoteric and gnostic dimensions.

Doc, I'm with you. Here's my only problem with your post. TOO MUCH SPACING!! I know you're a big fan of the triangle offense, but this is ridiculous!

Gnostic??

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 10, 2009 - 05:12 PM.

#65 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 06:02 PM

:lolabove:

I suffer from migraine headaches. I learned a while back that I needed a very mild prescription for glasses (barely 20/25) because while I can see and discern almost any size type anyone else can see, the letters are a little blurry...just enough to put a slight strain on my eyes. My physician surmised that this may contribute to some headaches and may be a migraine trigger, in conjunction with other factors.

I got into the habit of spacing things out when I was in the Navy...going thru the Naval Nuclear Power Program, we had to study alot...i re-wrote my notes and found that the further apart each thought was, the easier it was for me to recall it as an individual thought and with more precision (I could memorize whole pages of notes by recalling the layout and a few details). In hindsight, it probably was a subconscious way to deal with the blurred vision...self-treatment and lifestyle adjustment.

That's why I space my thoughts out here. I don't like wearing my glasses for everyday things like typing on the net so I compensate. Sorry if it bothers you.

Gnostic - of or relating to knowledge, esp. esoteric mystical knowledge. In this context, it refers to data that is connected in ways that are not readily understandable or which require a leap of faith, based on the accepted and widely perceived reality. Hollinger has created his own "Middle Earth" replete his own Laws of Nature and populated by beings (data) that shapes the outcome of his reality (equations).

#66 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 10, 2009 - 06:15 PM

:lolabove:

I suffer from migraine headaches. I learned a while back that I needed a very mild prescription for glasses (barely 20/25) because while I can see and discern almost any size type anyone else can see, the letters are a little blurry...just enough to put a slight strain on my eyes. My physician surmised that this may contribute to some headaches and may be a migraine trigger, in conjunction with other factors.

I got into the habit of spacing things out when I was in the Navy...going thru the Naval Nuclear Power Program, we had to study alot...i re-wrote my notes and found that the further apart each thought was, the easier it was for me to recall it as an individual thought and with more precision (I could memorize whole pages of notes by recalling the layout and a few details). In hindsight, it probably was a subconscious way to deal with the blurred vision...self-treatment and lifestyle adjustment.

That's why I space my thoughts out here. I don't like wearing my glasses for everyday things like typing on the net so I compensate. Sorry if it bothers you.

Gnostic - of or relating to knowledge, esp. esoteric mystical knowledge. In this context, it refers to data that is connected in ways that are not readily understandable or which require a leap of faith, based on the accepted and widely perceived reality. Hollinger has created his own "Middle Earth" replete his own Laws of Nature and populated by beings (data) that shapes the outcome of his reality (equations).

u r 2 LEARNED for my liking...
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#67 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Not me. I appreciate it when people let down their guard and let us know a little bit about who they are. I'm sorry about your migraines, Doc. That must be awful. I realize that you know I was joking about your spacing though. Anyway, it's great to have Doc (aka "Bynum") with us here in the Lakers Nation!

#68 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:40 PM

Why am I Bynum?

I want to be Ammo!!!!

#69 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Why am I Bynum?

I want to be Ammo!!!!

Koby-Gas made the analogies in a previous post, Doc. Ask him?

#70 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:39 AM

This is an outrage! The Wizards should be #26! I'm done with Hollinger.

#71 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:17 AM

Not me. I appreciate it when people let down their guard and let us know a little bit about who they are. I'm sorry about your migraines, Doc. That must be awful. I realize that you know I was joking about your spacing though. Anyway, it's great to have Doc (aka "Bynum") with us here in the Lakers Nation!

Not me neither. If there's one thing I don't like it's voluntary ignorance.

Edited by Kenrae, February 11, 2009 - 02:17 AM.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#72 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2009 - 03:29 AM

Who Cares?
For Us Lakers is the Best.

#73 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted February 13, 2009 - 07:04 PM

The Jazz are #8? :blink:

#74 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 13, 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hollinger = Utah homer
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#75 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted February 14, 2009 - 03:58 PM

But Hollinger stats are accurate. It has shown that teams who beat their teams by more points on a consistent basis will win more games in the long run compare to a team who wins games by 1 or 2..ect. That's all his stats are running on.

Edited by Base, February 14, 2009 - 03:59 PM.

#76 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted February 14, 2009 - 05:29 PM

my LAERNED comment was obviously a joke everyone. This crowd is too stiff
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users