90 replies to this topic

#81 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:53 PM

There's a difference between Morrison and Radmanovic, defensively: Morrison is a pest and will take contact.

I don't think Sasha is that great of a defensive player, but he's annoying as hell.

Offensively, Morrison can (and probably will) be much better than Vlad. I guess you guys didn't watch him at Gonzaga. College ball? Yes...but in the triangle offense, he's going to actually have fun.

Finally somebody who watched the guy in college.

Yes, he's not great at defense, but at least puts in a lot of effort, and he thrived rolling off of screens, and moving without the ball. He doesn't have a great first step so he cannot create his own shot. That's what they expected out of him in Charlotte, but we know that that will not happen in the NBA with mega athletes.

But with Pau setting screens and Kobe drawing double teams, Morrison is going to thrive.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#82 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,225 posts

Posted February 08, 2009 - 08:44 PM

morrison is also a great passer who has a high IQ and knows how to cut and utilize the pump fake

this could potentially be a major steal

this trade was low risk high reward big time
Posted Image

#83 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:04 PM

morrison is also a great passer who has a high IQ and knows how to cut and utilize the pump fake

Ah yes, I remeber that pump fake. Good call.

And just imagine him working with Kobe in the summer!
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#84 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Everyone is so quick to call Morrison a bust, but I think its a unfair title for him.

His rookie season, he averaged 12 points a game, and he missed the entire 07-08 season, which basically means this year is officially his second year.

Plus playing for the Bobcats doesn't help. He now has players that will make the game come easier to him.

#85 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,823 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:10 PM

Ah yes, I remeber that pump fake. Good call.

And just imagine him working with Kobe in the summer!

Would you say that Morrison is a project, much like Bargnani for the Raptors?

#86 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:19 PM

This is a great trade on all fronts.

Ariza was no superstar when he came here, but look at the development of him in a really short time.

Then you throw in a guy like Shannon Brown.

No, he's not the savior of the team or any team, but he will prove to be the coup within this deal.

Like me LD2K were saying Brown's size and ability to keep up with either quick 1's or quick 2's could prove to be invaluable. With Sasha' developing reaching habits and rocky defense right now, it lets the Lakers have another option in the back court against guys like House defensively.

He's got a decent shot and is another young mind that has yet to really show what he can do in a system laden with veteran players.

Really - I can't get over this deal. Mitch has pulled another big deal off underneath the guise of a small one.

As much as I liked Vladi as a person and a personality on this team, I was always saying that he's the one guy they need to find a deal for. But with his contract I thought it would be impossible to get anything of quality back. And yeah, like I said there is question marks around the potential of both of these players. But Mitch found a quality deal for a bloated, tough to unload contract.

I'm glad you mentioned this part, specifically.

Last season, when Kupchak was a candidate for executive of the year, many naysayers simply wanted to talk about the gift that the Grizzlies gave us. And yes, while that had some lucky elements to it, I kept hearkening back to the Ariza deal.

Dumping Cook's contract, and Mo (who was brought to LA for defense, but instead wanted to be Kobe 2.0) for Trevor was sheer genius. Those are the kind of moves where GM's really make their bacon, not by simply getting a GM to send them a disgruntled star; but rather, by finding those diamonds in the rough that will take your team from simply a contender, to actual champion.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#87 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:26 PM

I remember the Redick vs The Stache debate from college ball. Both were lauded.

Now, I don't think people should be raising the bar for him. He's at best Luke Walton meets Kyle Korver. Never gonna be a star but a good rotation player.

I hope he proves me wrong.

#88 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:30 PM

^ I think all smart Laker fans are with you on that hope.

#89 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:34 PM

:hmmm: :thumbsdown:

^ I think all smart Laker fans are with you on that hope.

#90 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Uhhh yeah. So anyway, looking forward to the great marketing ideas I'm sure the Lakers will come up with for his famous stache. Of course, he'll have to at least become a solid/decent player before if ever that is to happen. Morrison is back in L.A.!

LIGHT MY FIRE!! :punk:

#91 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:24 PM

I remember the Redick vs The Stache debate from college ball. Both were lauded.

Now, I don't think people should be raising the bar for him. He's at best Luke Walton meets Kyle Korver. Never gonna be a star but a good rotation player.

I hope he proves me wrong.

It may have been brought up elsewhere, but Sports Illustrated recently had both of these guys on the cover, and wrote an article about how their two careers have developed since they were POY candidates in 2006.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users