Photo

Kobe Moves Past Michael On List Of 60-Point Games

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Posted Image

With 61 points against the Knicks on Monday, Kobe Bryant broke a tie with Michael Jordan to move into sole possession of second place on the league's all-time list with five 60-point games in his career.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the record with 32 games of 60 or more points.

http://www.insidesoc...n-kobes-61.html

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:08 PM

Honestly, they should eliminate Wilt Chamberlain from the record books all together. The records he holds are just insane.

#3 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:08 PM

G.O.A.T.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#4 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Honestly, they should eliminate Wilt Chamberlain from the record books all together. The records he holds are just insane.

Yeh his numbers really are insane. Not just points, but rebounds too. :nervous:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#5 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:05 PM

9 more 60 point games to get first place Kobe.

#6 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:07 PM

9 more 60 point games to get first place Kobe.

Wilt has 32 though and Kobe only has 5. :blink:

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#7 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Wilt has 32 though and Kobe only has 5. :blink:

Brain fart. I was going to put 19 but, that means I can't count regardless. lol

Edited by Base, February 03, 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#8 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:17 PM

Yea Wilt is a cheater. Offensive goaltending was fair game!!!!!!

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:23 PM

That and he probably played with mostly 5 foot white guys at the time.

#10 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:32 PM

That and he probably played with mostly 5 foot white guys at the time.

:lol: Wilt is still godly!

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 04, 2009 - 01:34 PM

Well, hate to break hearts here, but Jordan has five 60's. I've been a fan of his forever now, and I know he's done it against Orlando, Cleveland (career-high), Detroit, Atlanta and Boston (in the playoffs).

#12 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 04, 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well, hate to break hearts here, but Jordan has five 60's. I've been a fan of his forever now, and I know he's done it against Orlando, Cleveland (career-high), Detroit, Atlanta and Boston (in the playoffs).

Ah! So you agree that Michael is no Wilt Chamberlain! :)

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 01:51 PM

Ah! So you agree that Michael is no Wilt Chamberlain! :)

No, Chamberlain is one of the greatest players ever, and Michael is the greatest, hands down.

#14 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 02:00 PM

No, Chamberlain is one of the greatest players ever, and Michael is the greatest, hands down.

I think you have that backwards, Real Deal! In fact, the only thing that MJ has over Kobe Bryant is three more rings. Kobe has played against much better talent and has even more overall skills than MJ possessed. He's a better outside shooter, as good a defender, plays the pinch post every bit as well as MJ, and has more of a shot selection. They are comparable passers and Michael was probably a bit stronger than Kobe. So Wilt is the greatest and most dominant player of all-time, hands down. They changed the rules because of him. Because he was the NBA's marketing centerpiece, they made the "Jordan rules." Kobe Bryant, on the other hand, doesn't get the calls that Michael got. Manu Ginobili gets more love from the guys in stripes than Kobe Bryant, which is shameful. David Stern hates Kobe Bryant, but turned the other cheek for Michael. He even had to say at the MVP ceremony last year that there were many players deserving of the award, but there can only be one. Like he ever would have said that when Jordan won his awards. Actually, he couldn't. The talent back then didn't come close to today's talent. The Big Dipper, baby. The Babe Ruth of his time!

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 04, 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#15 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 02:10 PM

Also, for the record, I'd take Magic Johnson over Michael Jordan if I was going to start a team. It took Phil Jackson for Michael to learn how to play team ball and win a championship (6 seasons), just like it did for Kobe (4 seasons).

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 04, 2009 - 02:10 PM.

#16 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 02:57 PM

Jordan is far superior, defensively, than Magic Johnson. He's also the better scorer, by far (and that's not even close, either). The only thing Magic had on Jordan was his passing. I would easily take Jordan over anyone in the history of the game.

As far as Kobe goes, by the time his career is over with, he will be the closest to Jordan (in other words, probably the second greatest player of all-time). But, growing up and watching probably every impossible Jordan performance of his career, and even though Kobe is my favorite player, I can assure you that Jordan is the overall better player than both, and more defined than any other player in NBA history.

In fact, I've yet to hear a single person give me one weakness in his game. It was his three-point shooting, until that was polished in the early 90's.

#17 KaPau

KaPau

Rookie

• 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Erving "Magic" Johnson

Posted February 04, 2009 - 03:11 PM

I think you have that backwards, Real Deal! In fact, the only thing that MJ has over Kobe Bryant is three more rings. Kobe has played against much better talent and has even more overall skills than MJ possessed. He's a better outside shooter, as good a defender, plays the pinch post every bit as well as MJ, and has more of a shot selection. They are comparable passers and Michael was probably a bit stronger than Kobe. So Wilt is the greatest and most dominant player of all-time, hands down. They changed the rules because of him. Because he was the NBA's marketing centerpiece, they made the "Jordan rules." Kobe Bryant, on the other hand, doesn't get the calls that Michael got. Manu Ginobili gets more love from the guys in stripes than Kobe Bryant, which is shameful. David Stern hates Kobe Bryant, but turned the other cheek for Michael. He even had to say at the MVP ceremony last year that there were many players deserving of the award, but there can only be one. Like he ever would have said that when Jordan won his awards. Actually, he couldn't. The talent back then didn't come close to today's talent. The Big Dipper, baby. The Babe Ruth of his time!

Excellent post, completely agree, Micheal was a product of Stern by far, he got the calls always, Kobe doesn't get the calls that Jordan did, if he did Kobe would beat out Jordan scoring average by far.

Second Kobe has always been labeled as a ball hog, you want to talk about a ball hog look at Jordan, the nba went into the tank in the 90's because team concept was gone everybody wanted to be like MJ one on one no team ball, look at the 80's perfection at is best, Celtics, Lakers, Pistons etc all perfect teams no me's in the picture.

If you had to ask Phil between Jordan and Magic I would bet my house hands down that he would take Magic any day.

#18 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 03:20 PM

They only count regular season games and not playoff games for these kind of categories. So it would be like four 60 point games in the regular season and one 60 point game in the playoffs. But yeh, he does have five total if you include both.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#19 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 03:52 PM

If you had to ask Phil between Jordan and Magic I would bet my house hands down that he would take Magic any day.

I don't think he would. He has a big soft spot in his heart for MJ. MJ's his favorite.

In response to Real Deal, there is no questioning MJ's status among the elite athletes in the history of sports. No one was close to him in his prime, but the league was thin on talent. I wouldn't call Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon or Clyde Drexler guys who really competed at his level. Meanwhile, as Kobe is maturing, he has talents like LeBron, D-Wade and CP3, not to mention KG, Duncan, etc, to contend with. Real Deal, tell me, who was the best team Michael faced in the Finals? Sure, he played against Karl Malone, Stockton, Hornacek and the great Mark Eaton and Bryon Russell, but it wasn't KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. I'll give the edge to MJ over Kobe, but it's more indiscernible than you think it is.

However, if you wanted to start a team, and you were given the choice between Magic Johnson in his prime and Michael or Kobe in their prime, I'd take Magic. He was more than just a point guard who could pass. Much more. He knew how to make everyone around him better from the time he set foot in the Forum. While more talented, neither Michael nor Kobe could claim that. If the choice was between Michael and Kobe, sure I'd take Michael, but the difference isn't that great.

#20 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 04:11 PM

In response to Real Deal, there is no questioning MJ's status among the elite athletes in the history of sports. No one was close to him in his prime, but the league was thin on talent. I wouldn't call Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon or Clyde Drexler guys who really competed at his level. Meanwhile, as Kobe is maturing, he has talents like LeBron, D-Wade and CP3, not to mention KG, Duncan, etc, to contend with. Real Deal, tell me, who was the best team Michael faced in the Finals? Sure, he played against Karl Malone, Stockton, Hornacek and the great Mark Eaton and Bryon Russell, but it wasn't KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. I'll give the edge to MJ over Kobe, but it's more indiscernible than you think it is.

For one, Karl Malone is the second greatest power forward in NBA history, and his teammate (Stockton) is a top three point guard in NBA history (probably #2, actually). That Jazz duo was incredible.

Charles Barkley was arguably the third or fourth best power forward in NBA history. And, if you didn't watch Kevin Johnson, you missed out on a guy who put up even better numbers than what Steve Nash put up in his two MVP seasons. The Phoenix Suns were an excellent team in 1993, when they lost to Chicago in the Finals.

The Bulls also beat a Lakers team that returned Magic, Worthy and Green -- all were All-Star starters the previous season, when they won 63 games.

Hakeem didn't compete at Jordan's level (and I don't think anyone did), but Olajuwon is the only big man who can say he won a championship without a superstar guard. His second, with Drexler, was when Clyde was ending his career...so technically, that counts as well. Hakeem dominated Shaq, schooled David Robinson (who was incredible as well), and was one of the best and most versatile centers in the last 20 or 30 years.

I think you're underrating the talent from the late 80's up to the mid 90's.

Answer me this, though: what was Jordan's one weakness in, let's say, 1993?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users