Photo

After Kobe's 61, Now It's LeBron's Turn At MSG

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,536 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) -- The scoring record at Madison Square Garden lasted more than 24 years, even withstanding a famous challenge from Michael Jordan.

Now LeBron James can seize it from Kobe Bryant after just two days.

Of course, he'll need to score 62 points to do it.

"We set the bar up high for him. He'd have to play really well," New York coach Mike D'Antoni said Tuesday.

Still dazed from Bryant's 61-point performance, the Knicks brace for a visit Wednesday from James, who loves playing in the Big Apple just as much and authored his own 50-point masterpiece here last season.

The NBA's two best players, appearing two nights apart on basketball's biggest stage. Even James, perhaps the MVP front-runner at midseason, will have a tough time matching Bryant's act.

"Last night Kobe made a lot of tough shots," Knicks center David Lee said. "I'm sure LeBron will probably do the same thing and we're going to need to play our best ball."

James, though, promised he won't be gunning for Bryant's mark.

"Hey, man. I just go out and play my game," James said after leading Cleveland to a 101-83 win over Toronto on Tuesday. "I'm not a video game where you can just expect me to go out there and score 60 or 70. I play the game to win the game. I'm not into individual accolades. Kobe Bryant's performance was unbelievable. I watched every second of it. It's not about individuals in this league.

"I'm not trying to outdo Kobe or anybody on their team."

Bryant shattered Bernard King's record of 60 points at the present Madison Square Garden, set on Christmas 1984. Jordan had the top performance by a visiting player, scoring 55 points in 1995 shortly after ending his first retirement.

James also is on the list of 50-point scorers at the Garden, finishing with 50 in Cleveland's 119-105 victory over New York on March 5, 2008. Like Bryant, he was treated to raucous ovations and "MVP!" chants during that game -- along with a fan coming on the court to meet him when James exited for good in the final minute.

And just like Bryant, he always talks about his passion for "the world's most famous arena."

"Every time I come here, it's like a warm feeling just because you know the history," James said in November, before his first visit this season.

"It's not just basketball, everything that ever went on. Concerts, boxing, I mean everything that ever went on at Madison Square Garden. Being a basketball junkie like myself, how could you not love it being in this building?"

New Yorkers still cling to hope that James will someday make it his permanent home.

He could be the marquee free agent in a stellar class in 2010, and the Knicks have positioned themselves for a run at him by clearing salary cap space for that summer. The Knicks still hope to get far enough under the cap to offer maximum deals to two superstars, hoping they can convince a Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade to join James in New York.

"That's a long ways off, so that's not our focus," D'Antoni said. "Our focus is to win that game."

James had only 26 points in his November visit, but he sat out the fourth quarter of Cleveland's 119-101 romp. He's less likely than Bryant to have huge scoring nights because he tries to do so many other things -- he had 10 assists and eight rebounds in his 50-point game here -- but his size and strength could make him a more difficult matchup for the Knicks.

"LeBron can do the same things and he does it with a 6-9, 260-pound body," D'Antoni said. "He not only can get 61, he can hurt you doing it, and that's not good."

D'Antoni has said that if a player wants to be MVP, it helps to play well in New York. Bryant, last season's winner, did his part with the greatest scoring performance Madison Square Garden had seen.

Now it's James' turn, in a place he reveres.

"It's the one remaining building that still has the history," James said. "You think all the way back to Walt "Clyde" Frazier and Willis Reed and all those guys who came through that building, all the way to Patrick Ewing and the great teams they had. To be able to be on the same court that the greats have been on is an honor for me."

http://www.nba.com/2...g.ap/index.html

#2 elpermic

elpermic

Rookie

• 1,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:worthy, kobe, magic

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:09 PM

"I'm not into individual accolades"

LOL

I'd plow Vanessa Bryant.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,347 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:09 PM

Lebron won't do it. He has the skills to do it, but Lebron isn't the type of player to try and one up anyone. If he tries, his team will lose. He'll put on a show no doubt, but he wont get 62.

#4 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:18 PM

:lol: at this LeBron lovefest.

#5 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Lebron won't do it. He has the skills to do it, but Lebron isn't the type of player to try and one up anyone. If he tries, his team will lose. He'll put on a show no doubt, but he wont get 62.

Love the Avy.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,347 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:21 PM

Love the Avy.

#7 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:24 PM

Knicks are gonna let him score 70, and in return he will guarantee to sign with them.

#8 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:29 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if he had a crazy scoring night. He just beat Kobe's record to fastest to 12,000 points. LeBron's a competitive guy.

Made By Vaporize

#9 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:29 PM

"Bryant shattered Bernard King's record of 60 points"

:rolleyes:

He only scored one extra point.
Basketball Reasons...

#10 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:30 PM

Bron can do it but only if its required.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#11 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:38 PM

Shattered has more than one definition. Definition: "To cause to break or burst suddenly into pieces, as with a violent blow." Kobe broke the record didn't he?

Edited by Base, February 03, 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#12 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,757 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Shattered has more than one definition. Definition: "To cause to break or burst suddenly into pieces, as with a violent blow." Kobe broke the record didn't he?

Base always gets technical with definitions :lol:

#13 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:54 PM

Base always gets technical with definitions :lol:

yep he knows his stuff
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:01 PM

NBA forum is that way
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#15 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted February 04, 2009 - 12:46 AM

I just bought tickets for the March 10 game where Lebron takes on the LA Clippers on March 10.

My son is soooo excited !!!!!
Section 107 row 4!!!!!!!!! GOD IS GREAT!!!!!

back to topic I think Lebron is gonna rip up the Knicks but he aint gonna drop more than 40 -50 points.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 04, 2009 - 12:53 AM

Hell if god is paying for your ticket, I'll take one.

#17 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted February 04, 2009 - 01:12 PM

He would've had he played more. People forget, Kobe scored a remarkable 61 in ONLY 36 minutes of playing time. INCREDIBLE! Just imagine if he would've played the whole game. I know it wasn't exactly necessary, but still, just sayin'.

& lmao at LeBron can do everything Kobe can do. Uhh, no he can't. There are certain things LeBron can't do not even NEARLY as good as Kobe and there are some things Kobe cannot do nearly as good as LeBron. Kobe's are more valuable though such as his way more consistent jumpshot and free throw shooting.

#18 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,506 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted February 04, 2009 - 03:49 PM

"I'm not into individual accolades"

LOL

http://sports.espn.g...ameId=280305018

yea, thats why he jacked up 30 shots last year in one of the games he was at MSG...showing off with 30+ footers for spike lee

Posted Image

#19 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted February 04, 2009 - 05:33 PM

LBJ on pace for 60+

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#20 KB24theGR8

KB24theGR8

Rookie

• 245 posts
  • Fan Since:day of birth
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted February 04, 2009 - 05:34 PM

Im sure he wont hit 60
"love me or hate me, its one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fade away. My hunger. Hate that im a veteren, a champion. Hate that. hate it with all your heart. and hate that im loved for the exact same reasons" - Kobe Bryant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users