• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Good point, but you know what? While Kobe Bryant's game has continued to evolve, he has been GREAT as a team player since Philip arrived. 3 rings. Hellooooo!!! Do you think Shaq would have done it without him? Do you think Kobe played his own game and not with Shaq? Shaq has called him the best player in the game since 2001 or 2002. It's not just the past 2 seasons. Hardly. As Ukuga said, "[he's] the most maligned superstar perhaps in the history of professional sports." I second that.

Kobe has had to learn to lead a team to a championship. He is about to do it. He is playing great. If he does do that he will earn MVP in the finals. Shaq has done that 3 times. Kobe has a chance to do that also. Remember what PJ said about Shaq when he said Kobe is the best player?
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#42 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,647 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 04, 2009 - 09:36 PM

Kobe has had to learn to lead a team to a championship. He is about to do it. He is playing great. If he does do that he will earn MVP in the finals. Shaq has done that 3 times. Kobe has a chance to do that also. Remember what PJ said about Shaq when he said Kobe is the best player?

I agree with the general premise of both of you.

Kobe was a great team player - in the play-offs - at the beginning of the decade. He was often selfish during the regular season. I think that was partly because he go annoyed that Shaq was often out of shape and limping around on bad feet, and also, he just enjoyed breaking free from the offense and going off.

But also, keep in mind, that even though Kobe never won the Finals MVP, he would've won play-off MVP in 2001 and 2002, had there been such an award.

Kobe carried us through the Spurs and Kings each year. (Not that the Kings were that tough in '01, but he still dominated).

But, when the Finals rolled around, the Lakers had the huge mis-match in the middle, and Shaq dominated, and won the MVP.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#43 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 09:54 PM

Kobe also had much room to operate with the Big Fella being doubled and sometimes triple teamed. If a GM had to win a championshio that year what player would they have picked if they had to pick one. I think we all know the answer. I do agree with you Shaq was a lazy azz which i believed is why he ultimately got shipped out and I for one agreed they had to do it. That is history now though.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users