UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,971 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 03, 2009 - 07:46 AM

http://sportsillustr...x.html?bcnn=yes

"NEW YORK -- In setting a new Madison Square Garden scoring record with 61 points Monday night, Kobe Bryant may have led his Lakers to a 126-117 victory (Recap | Box), and he may have won over a crowd that repeatedly erupted into chants of M-V-P, but he also re-opened a dangerous chapter of Lakers history."

All he did was go off for one night.

I promise you that Kobe knows that this won't work against Boston.

He had a great game. Why can't people just enjoy it?

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 03, 2009 - 07:58 AM

Haha. I just laugh at articles like this. They are HOPING we go back to our old ways. Only Kobe can go off and get attacked for it. Any other guy goes for 61 in the Garden and they're praised and their game is on ESPN Classic the next day. Kobe has shown that he can be team Kobe and still go off. This isn't the same team buddy, sorry to disappoint you. We don't need Kobe going off for 40+ each night to win. Keep hoping though.

#3 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 03, 2009 - 08:15 AM

Is it my imagination, but didn't this team go to the NBA Finals last year without Andrew Bynum? Weren't there 20 games during the regular season when neither Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum were in the lineup? Or was that a dream?

#4 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Doesn't trust his teammates? This writer's a douchebag. Kobe was merely paying homage to Andrew Bynum.

Edited by Scott P, February 03, 2009 - 09:12 AM.

#5 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:42 AM

It was a great performance. There is a danger of getting in a mode that ices his teammates. Hopefully both the other players, Kobe, and coaches make a point this is the exception rather than the rule to ultimately win it all.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#6 firefox

firefox

Rookie

• Pip
  • 445 posts
  • Fan Since:'47
  • Fav. Laker:George Mikan

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:47 AM

^ Come on now Kobe is pampered the way all the top NBA players are, But he was 20 for 20 from the line last night. That's Rick Barry numbers.

#7 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 09:57 AM

Doesn't trust his teammates? This writer's a douchebag. Kobe was merely paying homage to Andrew Bynum.

And playing to his favorite crowd away from Staples Center. Frankly, while everyone's talking about LeBron siging with the Knicks in the summer of '10, I think there's a legitimate possibility that Kobe could opt out and sign with them this summer if we win the championship.

It was a great performance. There is a danger of getting in a mode that ices his teammates. Hopefully both the other players, Kobe, and coaches make a point this is the exception rather than the rule to ultimately win it all.

Are you serious?

#8 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,971 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 11:06 AM

And playing to his favorite crowd away from Staples Center. Frankly, while everyone's talking about LeBron siging with the Knicks in the summer of '10, I think there's a legitimate possibility that Kobe could opt out and sign with them this summer if we win the championship.

Scary thought.

If we were to win and Phil Jackson were to retire, I'd think the odds would be greatly enhanced.

I doubt it, and don't want to fuel any fire; but, I wouldn't put much past Kobe.

The question is: Would NYK be willing to lock up and Kobe and risk losing out on Lebron?

One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#9 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Scary thought.

If we were to win and Phil Jackson were to retire, I'd think the odds would be greatly enhanced.

I doubt it, and don't want to fuel any fire; but, I wouldn't put much past Kobe.

The question is: Would NYK be willing to lock up and Kobe and risk losing out on Lebron?

One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

It's not a matter of "putting it past Kobe." He's a professional athlete who has every right to opt out and explore the market. He's given us 13 seasons and if we win the championship, he might want another challenge. He might not and might want to be revered as the greatest Laker of all time when it's all said and done. But what could be more tempting than to play for Mike D-Antoni on the biggest stage on the planet? They LOVE him in New York. Frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he did, I wouldn't consider it an act of betrayal at all, and I would remain a fan and wish him the best of luck. And I'm a season ticket holder and a big fan of Kobe Bryant. But he's grounded here and has 2 young daughters and might not want to uproot his family. We'll find out!

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, February 03, 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#10 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted February 03, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Kobe's probably the only player in the league that could go off for 61 at MSG and get criticized for it - it's crazy.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#11 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Kobe's probably the only player in the league that could go off for 61 at MSG and get criticized for it - it's crazy.

It's Colorado and Shaq leaving. People will never get over it.

#12 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,971 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 12:50 PM

It's not a matter of "putting it past Kobe." He's a professional athlete who has every right to opt out and explore the market. He's given us 13 seasons and if we win the championship, he might want another challenge. He might not and might want to be revered as the greatest Laker of all time when it's all said and done. But what could be more tempting than to play for Mike D-Antoni on the biggest stage on the planet? They LOVE him in New York. Frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he did, I wouldn't consider it an act of betrayal at all, and I would remain a fan and wish him the best of luck. And I'm a season ticket holder and a big fan of Kobe Bryant. But he's grounded here and has 2 young daughters and might not want to uproot his family. We'll find out!

When I say that I wouldn't put it past Kobe, I'm pointing to the fact that Kobe has, at various times throughout his career, given the indication that he wants to (and even plans to) remain a Laker for his entire career.

However, when given the chance in 2004, he almost left, and then, after losing in the play-offs in 2007, he started demanding trades.

Since near the end of last season, he has indicated that this is where he wants to be. Everything is set up for him to stay here. His home. His family. His entire professional career. A top-flight, young team. Another mega-contract when he becomes a free agent.

But, even with all that, he still seems like the type of guy that would walk away from it, just to do something different.

I'm not gonna go and try and find all the different times during his career that he's indicated that he absolutely wants to stay; but, I remember them when they happened; but each time, I've felt less and less confident that he would actually stay.

Again, at this point, there's really not much else he can have outside of LA, other than simply something different.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#13 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 01:44 PM

I think that Dr. Buss has already indicated that his first priority is to give Kobe a maximum extension at the end of the season. We shall see.

#14 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 01:53 PM

Are you serious?

The formula for winning it all is team ball. Kobe played a great game last night and there was nothing wrong with it. Winning championships requires more than one player going off. Ask Michael Jordan.

Edited by ab4sure, February 03, 2009 - 01:56 PM.

[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

PHIL JACKSON

#15 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 01:58 PM

The formula for winning it all is team ball. Kobe played a great game last night and there was nothing wrong with it. Winning championships requires more than one player going off. Ask Michael Jordan.

Do you actually think that Kobe Bryant doesn't know this better than anyone? HE DID WIN THE MVP LAST YEAR. MJ didn't have these kind of games during the regular season? Kobe Bryant understands more about team ball, at both ends of the floor, than most NBA coaches do. Don't kid yourself.

#16 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted February 03, 2009 - 02:01 PM

^Don't even bother arguing over this. Just another dumb over-reaction over ONE GAME.

#17 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 02:02 PM

Do you actually think that Kobe Bryant doesn't know this better than anyone? HE DID WIN THE MVP LAST YEAR. MJ didn't have these kind of games during the regular season? Kobe Bryant understands more about team ball, at both ends of the floor, than most NBA coaches do. Don't kid yourself.

You are assuming too much in what I say and you missed my point. Please read my post again. I didn't say kobe doesn't play team ball. The last year and a half he has played team ball very well and He deserved the MVP for that reason last year.

PHIL JACKSON

#18 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted February 03, 2009 - 02:04 PM

I think that Dr. Buss has already indicated that his first priority is to give Kobe a maximum extension at the end of the season. We shall see.

I think Buss said he would do what it takes to keep Kobe here. I don't recall him saying he promised him a maximum extension. Do you have a link?

PHIL JACKSON

#19 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted February 03, 2009 - 02:06 PM

I read this last night and thought about posting it but I figured we've heard enough hate on Kobe that something like this just wasn't needed.
Posted Image

#20 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,775 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 03, 2009 - 02:23 PM

seriously

hater

2div

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users