Brock Lesnar Proves He Belongs In The Octagon

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 10, 2008 - 03:59 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3528083

Posted Image
Brock Lesnar, right, fought like a man with something to prove against Heath Herring.

MINNEAPOLIS -- The moment Brock Lesnar entered the Target Center, a sellout crowd of 15,082 was on its feet cheering wildly. Making only his second Octagon appearance and vying for his first win there, Lesnar soaked up the support on Saturday at UFC 87 in his hometown.

That ovation served to reassure Lesnar this night would be different. Against Heath Herring, one of the world's top heavyweights, Lesnar proved he deserved to be called a mixed martial artist and belonged in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

"Did you hear that when I came out? It was like Muhammad Ali 'float like a butterfly' … I floated out to the Octagon," Lesnar said. "I've heard that before as an amateur wrestler and as a professional wrestler. It's a great feeling.

"For me, it was important to be composed tonight. … It was very important for me to be here."

Truly, there is no place like home.

After coming up short during his UFC debut on Feb. 2 against former champ Frank Mir in a much-hyped affair, Lesnar went to work on Herring immediately. He dropped the Las Vegas resident with a right hand seconds into the bout.

A half-second later, Lesnar was on top of Herring, punching him, kneeing him and smothering him. From that moment on, Lesnar would dominate every aspect of the fight.

Whether standing or on the ground, at no point was Lesnar threatened -- he overwhelmed Herring for 15 minutes. After three rounds of punishment, Herring's face was a bloody, swollen mess.

It was an easy fight to score. All three judges -- Doug Crosby, Jeff Mullen and Cecil Peoples -- had Lesnar winning by an impressive 30-26 margin. Crosby and Mullen gave him a two-point first round; Peoples had Lesnar winning the third by a 10-8 margin.

With such an eye-opening victory under his belt, Lesnar officially knocked the monkey off his back and silenced his doubters. It is something he waited several months to accomplish.

"Anytime you're in a situation you might not have ever been in … I've been in front of a lot of crowds, but one thing I'd never been in is the Octagon, fighting a former champion," Lesnar said. "I put a lot of pressure on myself that first fight. I had more pressure in my first fight than in this fight.

"I was not coming out of there without my hand being raised tonight. That wasn't a possibility."

When Lesnar asked Dana White for a chance to compete against the world's top fighters, the UFC president advised him to test his skills in smaller circuits. Lesnar, who made a name for himself as a professional wrestler, had just one mixed martial arts bout under his belt.

But he remained persistent. Eventually, White gave in.

"To be honest, I didn't think he could come in here with no fights and compete at this level," White said. "He proved me wrong."

But many MMA die-hards refused to cut Lesnar any slack. And when Mir submitted him in just a minute and 30 seconds, it gave the skeptics more ammunition.

The loss to Mir, however, served to strengthen Lesnar's resolve. Rather than take a step back, he asked White for another top-level opponent.

He got Herring and made the most of his second chance. Beating Herring gave Lesnar the opportunity to finally answer his critics directly.

"First and foremost I'm an amateur wrestler," said the 6-foot-3, 265-pound Lesnar, who improved to 2-1 in MMA. "I was in the entertainment business for four and a half years; I didn't forget who I was, nor will I ever forget.

"I started wrestling when I was 5 years old; nobody gave me anything in my entire life. I've had to fight for every damn thing that I've got and I'm proud of it. I'm proud to be here."

Here, for Lesnar, is in the UFC. After the performance he put on Saturday, Lesnar no longer has to prove he is a mixed martial artist.

"Brock Lesnar is a mixed martial artist," White said. "If Heath Herring is 29-13 [now 29-14-1], he's fought all over the world -- Holland, Pride, he's been here [in UFC] for two years, he's fought the best fighters in the world -- and he got dominated tonight, dominated by Brock Lesnar.

"Brock Lesnar is a mixed martial artist. No doubt about it."

I love that he proved all the doubters wrong. Good job Brock. Good for you.

#2 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 10, 2008 - 04:05 PM

I remember him from the WWF/WWE. After The Rock stopped wrestling and became a full-time actor, I also stopped watching wrestling so I never got caught up with any of the news. Only one I heard of was Chris Benoit's death. Good to see where Brock Lesnar is now. :rock:

Edited by 泉 こなた, August 10, 2008 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#3 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted August 11, 2008 - 07:55 AM

wasnt he the guy that the officails gave the fight to

#4 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted August 12, 2008 - 05:47 PM

brock still cant say frank mirs name correctly.

it sounds like mer, not MUR lol. brock is funny sometimes.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#5 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted August 19, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Brock fought a guy who was decent at everything, but great at nothing. Nog would sub his arse within 2 rounds easily. I can even see Kongo giving him trouble with the knees.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#6 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 09:14 PM

nog was torn apart by big tim, and brock is 3 times as strong as tim.

nog will own him on the ground, but stand up and power, brock wins.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#7 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted August 20, 2008 - 12:14 AM

Nog doesn't get destroyed, Nog waits.

Nog is infamous for taking huge beatings before finding that one time to submit you. Brock would beat the crap out of Nog, but Nog would submit him easily, especially seeing Lesnar not even attempt a RNC on Heath.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#8 Smart Alex

Smart Alex

Most Obsessed Megan Fox

• 5,451 posts
  • Name:Alex.
  • Fan Since:Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted August 23, 2008 - 10:37 AM

F-5

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences,
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon,
for each day to have a new and different sun."

#9 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,579 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:56 PM

"Here comes the pain!" - Taz

#10 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted March 10, 2009 - 12:06 AM

WTF? Why would you bump this?

Bleeding purple & gold...

#11 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,402 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:11 AM

Think Lesner gonna give it to Mir this time around.

veqdeg.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users