28 replies to this topic

#21 Force

Force

Rookie

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 25, 2008 - 10:48 AM

I haven’t watched Bayless much, but it looks like he has the potential to be a very good player. Roy is the leader of the team, and he won’t disappoint. Outlaw will be that hustle/defensive purposes guy. Aldridge’s game has improved rapidly recently and it will continue to...and Oden? He is the biggest question mark, but IMO he will be a beast in this league. Look at what he did in college, all of it with his dominate hand injured. Imagine how good he will be in the NBA with no injuries whatsoever.

There’s no doubt that this team has the potential to be great.

Oh and intriguing fact that I read a while ago; Portland was a single ping-pong ball away from acquiring the number 1 pick yet again in this year’s lotto. Imagine that...Rose, Roy, Outlaw, Aldridge, Oden.

Woah.

rgill on the sig

#22 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted July 25, 2008 - 11:10 AM

injuries will be their downfall.

#23 BringDFishBack

BringDFishBack

Rookie

• 140 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Jordan Farmar & Derek Fisher

Posted July 25, 2008 - 12:26 PM

No franchise player? If not Oden, it'll be Brandon Roy. Have you forgotten he led the Blazers to a 41-41 record in the tough West? Although it wasn't enough to earn his team a berth in the 50-win West, it still shows how far the team has come in two years. He earned himself an All-Star berth on the Western team and was only in his second year in the league. He's a solid all around player who can create for others, shoot the three, drive to the basket, and has a high basketball IQ.

I don't think Oden is a Sam Bowie at all...Heck, he played exceptional in college despite having only his left hand for use during the bulk of the season. He can move really well, and even if he were to falter on offense (which he won't), he'd more than make up for it on defense. With the likes of Roy and Bayless on the offensive end, along with the bench, in addition to Aldridge and Oden on the other end, they are fierce. They'll be competitive from the 09-10 season for a number of years (3-4 years IMO)

But, we still have Bynumite coming back...

Epic battles in the WCF for years to come...

Bowie was hurt all the time, and Oden is already injury prone in his 1 year of college and 1 year in the NBA. As for the even if he were to falter on offesne he would make it up on defense thing, that's exactly what Kwame is. And who says Bayless is going to be any good?

#24 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,596 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 25, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Bowie was hurt all the time, and Oden is already injury prone in his 1 year of college and 1 year in the NBA. As for the even if he were to falter on offesne he would make it up on defense thing, that's exactly what Kwame is. And who says Bayless is going to be any good?

Are you serious about Bayless?

Have you seen him play? He's been compared to the likes of D-Will and CP3 with his scoring ability as a PG. I'm not certain about his ability to create, but from what he's said, he wasn't playing to create for others in college. He wasn't playing PG in college because they had another guard who primarily played that position. From what scouts have said about him, he'll be a good point guard in the league. Even though he's been highly touted as being the next quality PG in the league. Who said Bayless isn't going to be a good player?

As for Oden, I think he'll be a great player in the league. He's no Kwame Brown. I didn't mean to say he'd be useless on offense, but that he won't be the main focus of the offense with the likes of Brandon Roy and Jerryd Bayless around. Those two will score the bulk of the Blazers points in the next few seasons. Oden will contribute and will be able to match up with quality big men in the NBA (the likes of Bynum and Howard).

I wasn't likening him to Kwame Brown in the least, but implying that he wouldn't need to score the bulk of the points on the offensive end. Also, his D is a heck of a lot better than any D Kwame has ever played in his career.

#25 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,257 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 25, 2008 - 03:15 PM

going to be very energetic as they are all very young

fierce team

watch out league

Posted Image

#26 L4L

L4L

Seattle's Biggest Laker Fan

• 172 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille O'Neal

Posted July 25, 2008 - 11:09 PM

For those saying they will lose the talent because of contractual issues, expiring contracts can be dealt at the deadline (in case yall have forgotten that). Pritchard will consolidate some of the talent into another star player at some point, and liquidate other assets who can't be resigned at the deadline for MORE picks and prospects. The talent might not show up on the court, but it will stay within the organization through more young players and draft picks.

In my opinion, the two major things that set organizations back the most:
1) Retirement
2) Letting players walk

Why? That is how teams' "asset pools" dry up without any form of replacement. Retirement sure isn't happening in Portland so as long as they don't let anyone walk, and trade people for value, they are going to be good for a very, very long time because of this awesome stretch of GMing.

One more very small detail, of no major consequence, Paul Allen happens to be one of the richest owners in the NBA and saving money is not high on his priority list. He will spend to win.

Portland isn't going away.

#27 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 2,434 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 26, 2008 - 09:24 PM

I can't wait to see what they do when contract extensions come up. Oden? Roy? Bayless? Aldridge? Fyre? All are going to want max money and unless Portland turns into the Yankees of the NBA players will walk for the money... and of course Mitch will resign Luke and Sasha to the same deals... :rock:
Posted Image

#28 L4L

L4L

Seattle's Biggest Laker Fan

• 172 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille O'Neal

Posted July 26, 2008 - 09:28 PM

^^Pritchard will consolidate some of the talent for a star player at some point and/or continue to trade players for picks to keep the talent in the organization.

Paul Allen is the richest GM in the NBA -- he has BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars. They aren't exactly screwed on the money front.

I went into more detail on this in my post right above yours.

#29 Pancakes

Pancakes

Rookie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 27, 2008 - 12:32 AM

I can't wait to see what they do when contract extensions come up. Oden? Roy? Bayless? Aldridge? Fyre? All are going to want max money and unless Portland turns into the Yankees of the NBA players will walk for the money... and of course Mitch will resign Luke and Sasha to the same deals... :censored:

Why in the world would Frye want max money, he sometimes wasn't even in the rotation for them LOL. Also Oden, Roy, and Aldridge is their core, so Bayless won't get much attempts to warrant a max contract. Also Paul Allen is apparently the richest (or top 3?) sports owner in American sports, so I don't see why at all they can't keep the core. (See: 2000 WCF Lakers-Blazers if you think Paul Allen wouldn't spend money for them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users