• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2009 - 02:31 AM

Here's a link to a pdf of the movies I've got on a 1TB hard drive (doesn't include all of the TV Shows I've got on other hard drives).

Over 1000 movies easily.

Can you top that? Admittedly, I haven't watched all of them. I did the math and you'd have to watch movies 24/7 for 2 years straight to watch all of them...wow.

I'm on a macbook. Used Printfinder with "subfolders" checked to produce the pdf. I'm sure there's something you Windows users can use that will produce something similar.

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted January 30, 2009 - 01:09 AM

Roughly I have about 2,038 movies (with new ones coming nearly every day).

Although being the organizational freak I am, I listed my movies (up to today) in an Excel file with all the info about the file itself (size, length, height x width specs, etc.), little paragraphs on them and the poster for reference by the TV. I'm picky as hell about the quality of stuff and if I rip it myself I rip at 2gb per movie to get them (at the lowest) 85% of original quality.

I run everything through the X-BOX 360 Elite in the living room and have the guide book for everything sitting in the coffee table drawers.

I'm sitting on 4 1tb drives (2 for movies / 2 for TV shows)
A 500gb drive (filled to 490gb of music)
A 500gb drive (filled with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray rips)

I've listed the same for my music in Excel, but have yet to tackle the immense amount of TV stuff. That's going to take a while too.

For better or worse, I think I have a bit of an addiction.

#3 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,857 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 30, 2009 - 01:48 AM

netflix

for the less organized masses.

2div

#4 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted January 30, 2009 - 01:52 AM

True^

#5 firefox

firefox

Rookie

• Pip
  • 445 posts
  • Fan Since:'47
  • Fav. Laker:George Mikan

Posted January 30, 2009 - 09:19 AM

yea let Netflix organize the movies you want to see. but I might be asking questions

#6 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 02, 2009 - 09:01 PM

i got over 700 dvd's, 60 blu-rays, and probably 800+++ shows/movies on my computer
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#7 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 10:29 AM

Roughly I have about 2,038 movies (with new ones coming nearly every day).

Although being the organizational freak I am, I listed my movies (up to today) in an Excel file with all the info about the file itself (size, length, height x width specs, etc.), little paragraphs on them and the poster for reference by the TV. I'm picky as hell about the quality of stuff and if I rip it myself I rip at 2gb per movie to get them (at the lowest) 85% of original quality.

I run everything through the X-BOX 360 Elite in the living room and have the guide book for everything sitting in the coffee table drawers.

I'm sitting on 4 1tb drives (2 for movies / 2 for TV shows)
A 500gb drive (filled to 490gb of music)
A 500gb drive (filled with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray rips)

I've listed the same for my music in Excel, but have yet to tackle the immense amount of TV stuff. That's going to take a while too.

For better or worse, I think I have a bit of an addiction.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

What the heck?

And I thought I had it bad!!!

2 GB per movies is a tad bit high dont you think? Especially if you keep the hard copies? Not familiar with the XBox 360 Elite's streaming ability...or networking with it. Do you have a separate tower connected via ethernet? I'm pretty sure that at that quality, streaming over any home net would be impossible...unless it remained wired, which is not convenient...unless you have your entire home wired which is expensive....

And slightly insane...though with your lists (why Excel?), I'm sure you would require nothing LESS than the BEST quality.

You on a mac or PC (Linux)?

Rip with MTR? DVDShrink?

Converted with Handbrake? Or 3rd party software...

Do you have Apple TV?

Quad core? Graphics? Plasma?

Heard about Super High Res due out in about 3 years? 400 GBs/disc?

Do you know Western Digital has a 2TB hard drive out?

We DEFINITELY need to talk.

Edited by GCMD, February 04, 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#8 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 10:32 AM

2 collections I'm really proud of?

All 9 seasons of X-Files...
All seasons of Inuyasha (eng dub)...

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 04, 2009 - 10:44 AM

2 collections I'm really proud of?

All 9 seasons of X-Files...
All seasons of Inuyasha (eng dub)...

2 collections you should be proud of

The Mummy
The Scorpion King :rock:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted February 04, 2009 - 02:50 PM

2 collections you should be proud of

The Mummy
The Scorpion King :rock:

Obviously, you missed the entire Star Wars collection...or Jet Li's collection. Those are a little more impressive.

#11 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted February 06, 2009 - 01:22 AM

OK - whew - a lot of questions. Gimme a second...... o.k.

1) 2gb per movie is a lot, but I'm a stickler for quality and that seems to be a good amount to avoid pixelation along with keeping good surround sound elements and solid picture throughout action scenes, etc.. The size gives the file enough room to flex its muscles while not being the exact full resolution.

2) I don't keep the hard copies. I have no need for them. I gave them to my friend and he likes them so he's kind of my storage facility for the DVD's themselves. Plus, I've raided all of my friend's collections and ripped everything I wanted form them, so those weren't mine to being with.

3) The X-Box Elite is connected via my computer through hard-wire. My office and my living room are only separated by 1 wall, so its a simple feed through to connect them. So the ability to watch the movies are easy there. For the other rooms in the house I bought the Philips DVD player (3 of them) with the USB in the front (cheap and great quality stuff by the way). So I pop a couple movies onto an 8gb stick, put it in the player and voila - good to go. The new X-Box dashboard has a "Video Player" on it, it links to the computer really quickly and allows me to play any file I wish. I can also use the MEdia Center extension, but I'm not the biggest fan of the control of that thing - too limited. Otherwise the X-Box thing is a great system and has an ultra-smooth interface - love my X-Box.

4) I use Excel because its what I'm used to. Easy to format, flexible, blah, blah, blah. I'd gladly mail you my list, but its about 40mb, so it would be almost easier to snail mail it to you (since I don't have any upload subscription anywhere).

5) I'm on a PC.

6) I rip with DVD Shrink and/or DVD Decrypter - depends on the day. Both are easy and flawless really.

7) Converted with AutoGK. Not the smoothest program, but its simple and gets the results I need.

8) No Apple TV - don't trust it, heard some bad things and its too pricey right now.

9) No Quadcore, not sure what you mean by graphics and movies play in living room on 48" HD projection, (old I know but its what we have from a while ago and it works great. Maybe someday if the economy and my job get more stable I can afford better) one room with a 42" plasma and another with a 32" Samsung LCD.

10) Heard about the Super Hi-Res and I know that some companies are working on 1280P res right now. Considering the human eye can't perceive a difference between 1280P and anything higher, I'm sure it'll cap there. The next thing will be reducing that damn file size.

11) I've seen the 2tb drives, just too expensive right now. I love Western Digital's stuff (that's what I run - along with a 320 Passport for files for work, to home, out on shows and back).

12) Any time you wanna blab I'm up for it.

Whew - man I'm exhausted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users