#1 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,972 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Just a few questions in attempt to gauge people's thoughts/excitement regarding these upcoming games.

But, I'm curious as to how much folks are anticipating these match-up - and how important do you see them as being.

How badly do we need to win @ Boston and/or Cleveland?

I can remember back to 2000, when we were looking like the best team in the league, and had everything clicking. Both the Lakers and the Blazers had double-digit winning streaks when the two teams played in the Rose Garden on February 29th.

I remember getting amped for that game 2-3 weeks in advance, because as good as we were, that game was about as big a regular season game as you'll ever see, and it was especially critical as Portland looked like our biggest foe in West.

Shifting to this year, we have defeated both Boston and Cleveland at home. As much as we'd like to win home court, it not only looks somewhat unlikely for the Finals, but there's also the reality that the Lakers are prone to giving a game or two away in Staples Center, thus forcing them to win on the road regardless.

It's almost shocking to think that we face both Boston and Cleveland, in consecutive games, on the same road trip, all things considered. (No need for me to go into them all here, you know how big it is).

So, how important is it to win both these games? Which one is more important? Why?

When I think back to the 2000 Lakers, IMO, both of these games are exactly the kind of games they would win.

The way we fare in each of these games, will reveal a lot to me about our championship-readiness.

We have lost 4 straight in Boston (counting the Finals), and we have been giving away winnable games in Cleveland for the last three years.

Both games are huge, and the anticipation is starting to build . . .

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:20 PM

if we can beat both of these teams on the road it would be the biggest confidence booster for this team during the entire season
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#3 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,723 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:34 PM

i don't think either win is super important. however, if we do win them both i think its pretty huge.

i mean, we've beat them both on our home court, so theoretically, they should do the same if they're as good as their records say they are. they're contending for the title just like we are, and being that we served both of these teams in LA, i don't care what either of them say, they're going to do everything they can to ensure a victory against us when we come to theirs.

even if we lose, all that means is we have to really focus on winning the rest of the games to pick up homecourt advantage. then it won't matter if we can win boston or cleveland, or anywhere

if anything, i hope we beat boston, that game is on my birthday and thats goin to be a huge downer if we lose...

Posted Image

#4 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 28, 2009 - 09:04 PM

i don't think either win is super important. however, if we do win them both i think its pretty huge.

i mean, we've beat them both on our home court, so theoretically, they should do the same if they're as good as their records say they are. they're contending for the title just like we are, and being that we served both of these teams in LA, i don't care what either of them say, they're going to do everything they can to ensure a victory against us when we come to theirs.

even if we lose, all that means is we have to really focus on winning the rest of the games to pick up homecourt advantage. then it won't matter if we can win boston or cleveland, or anywhere

if anything, i hope we beat boston, that game is on my birthday and thats goin to be a huge downer if we lose...

hahaha i think everyone wants that game ... it would be an awesome bday present though lol
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#5 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2009 - 01:12 AM

Psychologically, both would be huge for this team.

Believe it or not but this team is still young and inexperienced. They aren't as mentally tough as the 3 peat Lakers. Any mental edge we can get would do us wonders.

Any win they get with Kobe out (like the opportunity last night) is also huge. The need to have the confidence in their game, not their game as it pertains to Kobe.

One of the great things we had last year that is missing this year is a bench that KNEW it was the BEST bench in the league. I'm not seeing that same confidence this year. Hopefully, we get that back, in addition to some of our starters not named Kobe playing like they are go-to guys.

But I'm stoked for both games. I think they are proving grounds for us...not so much BOS or CLE.

#6 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted January 29, 2009 - 01:21 AM

If we won BOTH games, I think we go into playoffs knowing WE DA SHIEEETT ya know?

If we lose, then I think we'll be sweatin some bullets...

Something tells me though, we'll show up for those games...

No one can stop Andrew, we gotta feed our monster!

#7 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,320 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2009 - 01:32 AM

Those games will be HUGE. I hope we play with the same energy we played at home against them.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#8 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,787 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 29, 2009 - 02:36 AM

it seems boston got it's groove back. it'll be fun to see the lakers beat them out of that rhythm.

also, big z will be back by the time we play cleveland, so it won't be as easy to score inside like it was the last game.

but the biggest worry is that both of these games are at the tail end of a 6 game road trip (the C's game is the second of a back to back, the first being against toronto. can you imagine how tough it'll be physically to travel to toronto, play @ 4pm get on a plane and suit up to play boston at 5pm the next day... shizzle)

winning these two will give the lakers that flame/motivation/confidence that this team needs to push through this hell of a remaining schedule.

2div

#9 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,972 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 29, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Believe it or not but this team is still young and inexperienced. They aren't as mentally tough as the 3 peat Lakers. Any mental edge we can get would do us wonders.

That's kind of my take. That's why I hearken back to 2000. When we were able to go into Portland and beat them in that arena, in what was arguably the biggest game of the regular season, you just knew that we were a true, championship-caliber team. This team isn't there, yet.

But I'm stoked for both games. I think they are proving grounds for us...not so much BOS or CLE.

Yes. When I used to live in Dallas, I used to make fun of the Mavericks' fans when they get excited about beating the Lakers 1 out of 4 games.
My comment was always that in order to beat in a team in the play-offs, you've gotta be able to win all of your home games, and also be able to take one on the road. (I know, I know, there are exceptions to that, but not exceptions that this year's Lakers team can bank on).

As of right now, it looks very likely the Lakers will not have home court in the Finals. Thus, if we cannot win in Boston and/or Cleveland, we will not win a title. It really is that simple.

Additionally, we know that we are prone to let downs at home. Thankfully, not as much against top-flight teams, but still prone, nonetheless. Staples Center has never really become that tough a place to play. In fact, I would venture to guess that most opposing teams would say that they enjoy playing in Staples. So, it may become necessary to win their multiple times.

Beating Boston and Cleveland in LA weren't just good wins, they were games we had to win. Now, going to Cleveland and Boston gives us an opportunity to really test our mettle. Find out if we have the mental toughness to grind out games on the road against the two best teams in the league.

If we can beat them, then we go into June knowing that we can get a win in their arenas.. If we don't, then that question hangs over our heads. Then, if we lose games 1 & 2 in June, we head home for games 3-5 knowing that even if we win all 3, we have to go back and play at a place where haven't won.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users