#1 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:46 AM

Trevor Ariza was experiencing nausea, dizziness and ringing in the ears, Phil Jackson said. He will be re-examined Wednesday to determine further the severity of his concussion, but the Lakers are saying he is day-to-day. The next game is Friday night in Minnesota.

LINK

He should be alright. Hopefully everything is fine - concussions are no fun. Anyone here ever have one?

#2 LP_18

LP_18

Sasha's favorite

• 1,856 posts
  • Name:Lisa
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha!

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:47 AM

ouch.

hes tough though.

QUOTE (MDI @ Mar 19 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when did sash turn into kobe ? WTF?

TEAM SASHA!
TEAM PAU PAU!

#3 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:47 AM

:(

#4 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,749 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:55 AM

dizziness and nausea are common symptoms of concussions

hopefully farmar's quick come back rubs off on him cuz we need him out there asap!

2div

#5 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:56 AM

Trevor's impact to the game is immeasurable. If he was here tonight, we would have won. NO QUESTION.

#6 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:57 AM

He is listed as day to day. He'll be back tomorrow. He played a good 7 minutes and quite cohesively until he told Phil to sub him out.

#7 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:01 AM

That is good to hear. I didn't know he kept playing AFTER the concussion.

They still haven't shown HOW he injured himself and exactly what happened... :/

#8 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hope he's OK, I definitely agree we wouldve won if he was playing tonight.

I had a concussion from falling off a trampoline. I felt like I was gonna throw up and I couldnt walk straight. I dont remember anything between being in the air and waking up on the cement. Scary feeling.
Posted Image

#9 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:06 AM

I got an elbow to the temple and had one in high school. I wasn't nauseous, but very dizzy and scared. Everything was muffled for a good hour.

#10 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,749 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:52 AM

i landed right on my head mountain biking once

i felt dizzy, nauseous, my vision made the sun hella bright

i felt "off" and had a lingering sh_tty feeling for about a month.

2div

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 28, 2009 - 03:13 AM

He'll be fine. Just your brain hitting your skull.

Not a big deal...as long as it's just a concussion...and I doubt Vitti would mistake that diagnosis.

He should be fine. And if he isn't by tomorrow, give him a transfusion of Farmar's/Wolverine's blood...should be 200% better by Friday...

#12 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,164 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted January 28, 2009 - 06:38 AM

anyone have the clip? i didn't watch the game till 4th quarter :x

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#13 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 28, 2009 - 10:58 AM

Good we got a few days off, should give him time to rest and play on Friday.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#14 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:44 PM

Ariza update:

Trevor Ariza shown some improvement from his concussion Wednesday, according to Lakers publicist John Black. Ariza was seen by team physician Dr. John Moe Wednesday and will be re-evaluated Thursday before the team leaves on a six-game eastern swing. But Ariza is not out of the woods yet. He continues to have “some issues,” Black said without going into detail.

Ariza experienced nausea, dizziness and ringing in his ears after being hit in the head by Charlotte’s Juwan Howard with 11:10 left in the second quarter. Ariza played another six minutes before heading to the Lakers’ locker room. Black said if the team was traveling Wednesday, Ariza would not accompany the team. The forward is listed day-to-day.

#15 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 28, 2009 - 06:27 PM

He'll be fine. Just your brain hitting your skull.

Not a big deal...as long as it's just a concussion...and I doubt Vitti would mistake that diagnosis.

He should be fine. And if he isn't by tomorrow, give him a transfusion of Farmar's/Wolverine's blood...should be 200% better by Friday...

that was funny(doc), but honestly i would sit him a coupla weeks, b/c if he plays his normal pace and goes up and falls and hits his head, he can have multi-concussions like G. Wallace
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#16 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 28, 2009 - 09:47 PM

that was funny(doc), but honestly i would sit him a coupla weeks, b/c if he plays his normal pace and goes up and falls and hits his head, he can have multi-concussions like G. Wallace

Look what Brian Scalabrine is going through. They can be scary. It cuts short the careers of too many NFL players, but you normally don't see them as much in the NBA. The "bean ball" has cut short many careers and, in some cases, lives .. like Tony Conigliaro. Dementia in boxing? Remember Jerry Quarry? Died early and was in diapers when he was 50. But none of us on here know what is going on here with Trevor yet. I agree that he shouldn't be rushed back if there are any issues. We are blessed with depth and a long season.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 28, 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#17 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted January 28, 2009 - 11:21 PM

Ok, so i found this video of him. He already had an interview.
poor guy! :cry:
i could tell he was hurting.

#18 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2009 - 01:05 AM

That can happen to any player. The only reason it is unlikely is any player that isn't experiencing any dizziness, syncope, vertigo, or problems with equilibrium (in any form or fashion) will instinctively brace themselves to protect their head in ANY fall. Conditions that slow reflex or throw off balance predispose athletes to concussions BECAUSE they don't REACT fast enough.

Like you said, if he still looks dazed or isn't 100% by Friday, letting him go full bore would be reckless. But as long as he's got the cobwebs cleared, he's not any more likely to have a repeat-date with the hardwood Goddess than any other person in the entire ARENA.

People have gotten misinformation about concussions leading to fear of a concussive syndrome...that's not accurate. Any predisposition comes from PERMANENT damage to the dura (linings of the brain and cranium) that IF (and I stress IF) exposed to further trauma can have life-threatening consequences.

I don't know of any thing that can cause permanent, spontaneously recurring concussive symptoms WITHOUT permanent damage that most decent radiologists would pick up immediately.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Trevor isn't in any danger.

P.S.

My wife and I laugh at the talk about G Wallace and "recurrent concussions". They aren't linked (each fall cause the problem...not the problem causes the falls) and shouldn't be seen as a pattern or a "syndrome"...

#19 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 29, 2009 - 10:50 AM

Doc, many QBs, like Troy Aikman and Chris Miller (who suffered 5 concussions in a span of 14 months), suffer "multiple" concussions. From what you're saying, that is different than "recurrent" concussions, is that right? Isn't that what lay people innocently mean when they say "recurrent" concussions? Also, when boxers like Jerry Quarry suffer repeated blows to the head causing dementia, what are those considered? Didn't Max Baer kill a boxer because his brain got detached from the dura? Or was that mythical and the guy died from hemorrhaging? What kind of MDs are you and Mrs. Doc?

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 29, 2009 - 10:55 AM.

#20 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 29, 2009 - 06:11 PM

the doc got all technical on me, well can i borrow some money, cuz brothas is struggling during the reccession.

BTW, does that term come from the same Latin word as reccess, you being a doc and all , I'm sure you are smart.
ps. you are so lucky that your WIFE knows enough aboout b-ball to talk G. Wallace, but then again you got MD money, so no problems with the ladies
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users