LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Bill Simmons had this to write about Bynum:

ESPN: "In certain cases, Ben Wallace Syndrome can develop: A guy carries around the underrated tag for so long, he becomes overrated—or, in Wallace's particular case, wildly, perplexingly overrated. (Note: This has just happened to Andrew Bynum.)"

Yet, from 2006 he wrote this little blurb that the Lakers lucked into Bynum and it being unfair was actually written in November of 2006. Here's the exact quote:

4. Andrew Bynum: The Prince of Juvenation
My friend Matt "Money" Smith (a radio host for the Lakers) summed things up last week after I sent him the obligatory "thanks for warning me about Bynum" e-mail: "I watched him play every minute of every game last season and Summer League this year, so I can say with great certainty ... this came out of nowhere. NOBODY, I mean NOBODY thought he was capable of this. There's no reason to think it will fall off either. His moves are legit, and who's 7-1/290 to slow him down?"

That's the thing: Maybe he'll be up and down this season, but when he's up, is there another center in the league quite like him? He protects the rim, passes out of double teams, has great hands around the basket, up-fakes on his jump-hooks, rebounds in traffic, even has a motor that keeps going and going (unlike a stiff like Eddy Curry). I'm not sure what's missing here. This is stunning. This is startling. There's almost no precedent for it. Just what the Lakers needed: More obscenely good luck. Meanwhile, I have to watch Al Jefferson whip jump-hooks off the front of the rim for the third straight season. I will now pour scalding hot water down my pants.

Some people got on me for calling out Simmon's stuff before... this guy is a hypocrite. Ben Wallace overrated? PLEASE!

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,853 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:40 PM

How can he be overrated when Andrew's just starting to get rated? Maybe if Andrew establishes a consistent reputation then somehow lets off of that you can call him overrated, but right now the kid is just starting out.

Sounds like Bill is afraid to step out and make a claim without someone else doing it first.

I'm with ya LD2K - that looks like pure hypocrisy to me. (With the evidence to back it up)

#3 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 27, 2009 - 03:41 PM

Does he work for BSPN or just a opinion writer from Boston papers?
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#4 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 04:49 PM

bill simmons is about as credible as foxnews or msnbc

he is an opinion writer though and is right half the time and wrong the other half

best to ignore him he doesn't state facts he states opinions which is why hes an opinion writer

meaning you wont always agree with what he has to say

especially since hes boston born and an admitted boston celtics fan
Posted Image

#5 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:12 PM

this would even be more legitamate about Ariza, hell I would have MORESO accepted him saying : Pau Gasol is highly overrated like Ben Wallace because he is playing in a system that is tailored to his skillset and his teammates make up for his weaknesses much like Ben Wallace in Detroit.
But he said a 21 year old is as overrated as Ben Wallace.
And if anything Ben Wallace was underrated for the majority of his career, and Detroit hasnt won without him sooooo......
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#6 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:27 PM

simmons is who he is because he's a fan writer. always has, always will.
this is a typical celtics fan viewpoint.

Does he work for BSPN or just a opinion writer from Boston papers?

just ESPN

#7 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,609 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:43 PM

uhhh, we'll find out how overrated he is in june

Posted Image

#8 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:47 PM

uhhh, we'll find out how overrated he is in june

Indeed we will. Until then though, I'll just let the haters mouth off. Bynum and the rest of the team will either shut them up by June, or he won't.

#9 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:11 PM

Good luck at the 5? P-LEASE!

#10 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:06 PM

screw simmons, great writer ... too bad hes just only great when writing for the celtics ... otherwise hes dirt
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#11 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,609 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:07 PM

maybe now he'll write an article about pau being overrated

Posted Image

#12 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:28 PM

The only analyst I like is Stephen A. Smith, just because he ripped KWAME BROWN to pieces...

The rest can go jump on a lake for all I care...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#13 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:35 PM

He's an idiot. Bill Simmons always has hate toward LA- even towards the Clippers.

Don't you guys remember the hate he had toward the Clippers in that article early this year? That you guys were all praising him about? Haha. The guy is a grade A moron and has always been. LD2k just proved he's a hypocrite.

Besides, if Bynum is overrated, maybe every other center in the NBA should be overrated too. Bynum's numbers lately have been insane- if that's what being overrated is then every center in the NBA would like to be overrated

And Lakers have plenty of underrated people that he could have mentioned too to balance the article out. Like Trevor Ariza and Jordan Farmar and other role players. But no- he has to focus on the negatives of course.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#14 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:41 PM

haha

I actually read that second article about two years ago when he wrote it. No joke, he was speaking FROM a boston celtic fan's perspective, (back when won like 20 games), and was showing jealousy of the lakers organization "luck" from that perspective. It was funny, made me laugh. He didnt make any attempt to negate that he was a celtic fan it was obvious and it made the article humorous. Although He actually ended up eating his words about al jeff.

But that article was more like a boo hoo look how bad we do/draft compared to them. We are unlucky they get everything handed to them (while praising bynum at the same time).

With the top article hes speaking from a boston celtic fan's perspective, but this is after having won a title, and looking up at the lakers hype this season, same laker team they beat last year only with the addition of a healthy andrew bynum, questioning as to why the celtics arent the favorites.

That's pretty much it case and point. Hypocritical, biased, inconsistent but REAL. Just like a fan.

Edited by A_V_R, January 27, 2009 - 11:41 PM.

#15 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,924 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:25 AM

Simmons' original comments came right after Andrew dominated the T-Wolves at the beginning of the '06-'07 season.

Andrew had about 10 really good days at the beginning of the season that year, and it looked he was going to become the difference between the Lakers being a bottom-rung play-off team, and an actual contender. Thus, Simmons was sick about "how lucky" the Lakers were.

As we all know, Andrew faded quickly that season, and we also know what KB24 thought of him by that summer. "Ship his A** out!"

But, then last year happened. And by January, other than a few clunkers against physical teams (see: Boston Celtics), Andrew once again looked like the player he showed flashes of being in '05, and the Lakers rose to the top of the West.

But then, the knee injury happened.

Now, ever since this past spring (during AB's injury lay-off), Simmons has been on the "we don't really know what Andrew Bynum is going to become" kick. It was easy to dismiss him while he was down, since after all, he only had about 6 - 8 really good consistent weeks under his belt. Throw in Andrew's somewhat slow start to this season, and Simmons only had more room to chime in about Andrew's uncertain prospects.

Just two weeks ago, in a podcast with Bucher and Stein, Simmons jabbed at the Lakers for signing Bynum to an extension. Bucher and Stein both defended the move, saying that for the Lakers, they wanted to go ahead and get AB signed, because they knew that he was emotional, and they really didn't want this hanging over his head. Also, Bucher and Stein both also commented on the fact that the Lakers got Bynum at a good price.

Simmons' response was: "A good price for what?" Insinuating that even though we view Bynum as having huge upside, he hasn't really proven himself to be a $40 million man.

To a certain extent he was correct when he made these comments a few weeks ago. However, that doesn't mean that the Lakers were wrong for locking Andrew up, at what will be considered a discount if he continues to improve and show the development we have seen over the past few weeks (and for other stretches earlier in his career).

But now, Simmons is taking jabs where he probably shouldn't I think that in his head, he still has this expectation of Bynum injuring his knee again, missing time, and once again, having to "start over", and potentially losing some of athleticism that will permanently limit aspects of his game.

However, for those of us who have watched Bynum's career very close, what we have seen is a guy who has continually improved, and every so often just jumps out with a huge spurt of improvement.

Injuries can and will happen. But, if Andrew stays healthy, then I expect to happen exactly what I said after that game against Minnesota back in 2006 . . .

Kobe will help make Andrew a star and the Lakers will win championships, and then Andrew will become the dominant force, helping to extend Kobe's career, with more championships to come.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:37 AM

its almost like kobe and shaq but flipped position wise kobes now the super dominant force in his prime and bynum is the prodigy youngster who keeps us saying i can't believe hes so young

its like history got turned on its head

watch kobe get traded in 6 years for some inconsistent physical freak of nature
Posted Image

#17 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:43 AM

Bynum proved he is fearless tonight after Kobe went out. One thing I can say is he is developing into our next FRANCHISE PLAYER.

Overrated? Not at all...

#18 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:14 AM

Bynum proved he is fearless tonight after Kobe went out. One thing I can say is he is developing into our next FRANCHISE PLAYER.

Overrated? Not at all...

yeah he is ... consistency is the key and hes doing it
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#19 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:46 AM

Bill Simmons is Geraldo Rivera retarded.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#20 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,924 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:10 PM

This might help . . .

http://proxy.espn.go...?event_id=24829

Andrew (Los Angeles,CA): Did you write your mag column before Andrew Bynum was named Western Conference Player of the Week and dropped 42 on Los Clippers? Have your thoughts changed on his ceiling or his contract extension?

Bill Simmons: It's funny you should ask. They changed my magazine deadline (which sucks for me from a "timing" standpoint) - I now hand in my column on Wednesdays the week before the issue comes out... which means it makes it online 7 days later and on the newsstands 2 days after that.

Bill Simmons: It's funny you should ask. They changed my magazine deadline (which sucks for me from a "timing" standpoint) - I now hand in my column on Wednesdays the week before the issue comes out... which means it makes it online 7 days later and on the newsstands 2 days after that.

Bill Simmons: So my biggest fear was that Durant was going to score 60 on the Clips 2 days after I handed it in and ruin my angle. Little did I know, THAT NIGHT, I went to Clips-Lakers and Bynum out up a 42-15 (on Skinner and Jordan, but still). Then he looked great against Duncan on Sunday. I'd say Bynum is now properly rated. I was really impressed by him in person.

Bill Simmons: The point is this: I hate my magazine editors. Intensely. We need to work through this.

Bill Simmons: Just got some interesting info on Larry Fitz Sr.'s paper from a friend...

Bill Simmons: Apparently Larry Fitz's Sr's newspaper is a longstanding African-American newspaper that covers the community (and major sporting events)... there are a few of them dating back to the 1900 (they used to cover the Negro Leagues way back then) and this is one of them. So that's why you might live in Minny and not have heard of the paper... you know, if you're white.

Bill Simmons: Now I feel bad. I'm going to do 20 pushups as penance.

Bill Simmons: Maybe later.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users