Photo

Western Conference Insider: Kevin Durant's Defense Lifting Thunder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,558 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image

Bill Russell is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, centers to ever play in the NBA. Standing at 6-foot-10, 220 pounds, whatever Russell lacked in size he made up for in desire, toughness and positioning

Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, measuring 6-foot-9 and 215 pounds, played on the wing his whole life, but at the behest of new Thunder coach Scott Brooks, he has abandoned the shooting guard position. In his second season, 40 years after Russell won his 11th ring, there's another slight guy manning the middle.

"I think Kevin is so talented he can play every position ... other than the one," Brooks said. "He doesn't pass enough to be a one."

In Durant's first season, former Thunder head coach P.J. Carlesimo decided to play Durant at shooting guard instead of at small forward, the position Durant played in his lone season at the University of Texas.

Carlesimo said playing the two was where Durant was "best suited." It was hard to argue with him. The lanky Durant, often likened to all-time scoring great George Gervin, averaged 20.3 points per game and won Rookie of the Year honors.

When Brooks took over after Oklahoma City started the season 1-12, one of his first orders of business was to improve his team defensively. He started with his best player, Durant, moving him back to the three -- and sometimes the four and the five -- to engage him on the defensive end.

"He's very gifted offensively, but he is improving defensively," Brooks said. "We all see it. He's rebounding better, he's contesting shots, he's staying in front of the ball and those are [points of] emphasis I'll have with him game to game. I challenge him that way. I know he's going to score points for us, but we need him to really focus on being a lockdown defender. He has length and he can really do a great job of contesting shots. He has improved in that area."

Whether the shift to forward did the trick, or whether Durant's self described "nervousness" to improve in his second season was the reason, the 20-year-old's numbers are up across the board. He's scoring 24.7 point per game (up from 20.3) on 46.8 percent shooting (up from 43.0), 42.2 percent from three (up from 28.8) and he's averaging 6.6 rebounds per game (up from 4.4).

"I don't think I'll ever go back to the two again," Durant said.

"I think Scotty is letting us experiment some. He moves me to the four and even the five sometimes ... It's been tough trying to move stronger guys out [of the paint], obviously, but I think if I just use my length it makes up for a lot. I got to continue to do that and also continue to add muscle."

Another advantage to Durant playing down low is that when he grabs a defensive rebound, he has the ball-handling ability to dribble the ball up the court to set up the Thunder's offense. On Friday, Durant scored a career-high 46 points to go with a career-high 15 rebounds in a loss to the Clippers. Los Angeles was missing Marcus Camby, Chris Kaman and Zach Randolph because of injury, so, sure enough, Durant saw a lot of time playing the four alongside Nick Collison and logged some minutes at center when Collison went to the bench.

Durant's numbers have created some All-Star buzz. He's trying to downplay it.

"I just want to get better as a team, just pile up win after win every night. Hopefully we can do that. The All-Star situation, I'll let that take care of itself," he said. "God has a plan for me, I think, and if the All-Star Game's not this year, hopefully it's years to come. I'm just excited about what this team has in store."

http://www.nba.com/2...0126/index.html

#2 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:13 PM

What a beast. I hope the Thunder can get some help or something for Kevin Durant.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#3 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:18 PM

Have any of you guys watched him play? This guy is a joy to watch. His length is insane, his shot is smooth. This guy reminds me of a strong minded version of T-Mac.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#4 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,499 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:22 PM

His shot is very smooth, When he shoots, looks like he will make it.

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,073 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 02:26 PM

2 years later are we seeing sam bowie michael jordan part 2

its too early but the early results sure seem like it

at 20 durant looks like he'll be on lebrons level in about 2 maybe 3 years and as for oden hes not even more promising than brook lopez and not even close to andrew or dwight

i love durant being a longhorn basketball fan this guy is one of my favorite players in the league love his game
Posted Image

#6 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 06:03 PM

Durant just seems like he poised to be a future Laker, i just have a funny feelin about him and an older Yao
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#7 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:11 PM

Dunno why, I have an image of him with Kobe's physique....=.="

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,073 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 09:02 PM

Durant just seems like he poised to be a future Laker, i just have a funny feelin about him and an older Yao

begin the speculation

2014 plan here we come
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users