• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:02 AM

Nuggets' coach George Karl doesn't believe that the Lakers are a lock to win the Western Conference.

"Basically, everybody's conceding that the Lakers are going to win (the Western Conference), and I don't believe that," Karl said. "I think there's numerous teams in the Western Conference that still have time to grow up and challenge."

In fact, Karl believes his Nuggets are one of the teams that can challenge the Lakers.

"Yes, I think we are. We have a window of improvement, and we also have that window of experience (to gain from) winning a playoff series that can bring momentum to a young team, a team that's never won."

Via Denver Post

George... C'mon man. Yes there are some teams that can challenge us. Teams like the Spurs and Hornets. But im sorry but the Nuggets cannot hang with the Lakers. You have no front court. We would destroy size wise like last year.

#2 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,873 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:42 AM

well, saying otherwise would indicate to his team that he didn't think they had a chance...

Posted Image

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:11 AM

Though I don't think Denver has much of a chance to come out of the West, he's basically right.

Nobody is a lock to do anything.

#4 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:22 AM

As if we hit a brick wall... We'll be growing right along with you, George, and we'll still be miles ahead of you and any other team in the West come playoff time.

#5 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,303 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:28 AM

Before they got Billups, he has been praising us, now that Billups helping them win games, it made him dream a little.

#6 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:56 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Nuggets actually went deep into the post-season this year.

#7 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted January 26, 2009 - 12:17 PM

I hope they do.

I hope the West Finals is the Lakers vs. the Nuggets.

A good dress rehearsal / practice would be an important tune-up for the Finals.

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 12:42 PM

Im not saying the Lakers are a lock either. But what I am saying is that I don't think the Nuggets can match up with us.

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:06 PM

The Nuggets do have a chance. They have 2 things that has given us problems all year long in the paint: speed, athleticism.

Now, they have a true floor general to channel that speed? They aren't the same team we've faced.

I still think the Lakers are going to take them...I just don't think it's going to be as easy as some would like to believe it will be.

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:12 PM

They don't have the front court to match up with us. The reason we handle the Nuggets fairly easily is because they can't handle our size. It hasn't changed. The only one they have added is Chris Anderson. They maybe squeak out at most two wins in a playoff series.

Edited by Westcoast21, January 26, 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:16 PM

Defense.

All they have to do is get hot at the right time. Right now, we aren't defending as consistently as we should.

Every team out there that can put points up in a hurry has a legit chance to beat us...the Nuggets are one of those teams.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:21 PM

Defense.

All they have to do is get hot at the right time. Right now, we aren't defending as consistently as we should.

Every team out there that can put points up in a hurry has a legit chance to beat us...the Nuggets are one of those teams.

We all know Denver doesn't play defense. At least we have shown we can play defense. Lakers are the highest scoring team in the league, they would have to play some sort of defense to beat us.

Bottom line, they are the same team plus Billups.

#13 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:28 PM

but Billups is a big difference (we are weak at the PG remember and theyre # of wins is increasing just because of that trade), plus they have Nene, who did not play last year and is playing VERY WELL this year and may give Pau fits (kinda reminds me of Al Jefferson this year but just isnt the go-to guy) ... I believe we can beat them but its not gonna be as easy as last year
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#14 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,914 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:48 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Nuggets actually went deep into the post-season this year.

me neither

and as phife said though i think we can beat them it won't be easy. nene is playing great, kmart is starting to play like he was before his two microfracture surgeries + he's hitting his jumpers, they still have melo, + the addition of chauncey which has seriously changed that team for the better.

but like what everybody has been saying, not enough size. gasol and bynum will eat them up. they still have no answer for kobe. melo will never get a chance to get a offensive rhythm with all the defenders we'd be throwing at him. chauncey is really, in my opinion, their only x-factor in getting past us.

2div

#15 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:51 PM

well, saying otherwise would indicate to his team that he didn't think they had a chance...

Nobody is a lock to do anything.

words taken from my mouth

Edited by SaintNicholasVanExel, January 26, 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 02:56 PM

first off let me start by saying if george karl said the lakers were a lock he should be fired because hes basically concedeing his team has no chance and giving up

secondly refer to firstly
Posted Image

#17 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 26, 2009 - 04:23 PM

We'll see about that. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#18 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:37 PM

the nuggets(like so many other teams) are a player away from challenging the Lakers. If they got a player like Rasheed or even Jermaine O'neal, i would give them a shot, but without a DECENT 7 footer, they will wilt...and not CHAMBERLAIN
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#19 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:40 PM

i would give them a shot, but without a DECENT 7 footer, they will wilt...and not CHAMBERLAIN

To be an elite team capable of winning a title, you need a great inside and outside game. The Nuggets do not have that.

Edited by Westcoast21, January 26, 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#20 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:32 PM

The Nuggets is in their worst-case scenario... They are winning but falling short during the playoffs, not enough ping pong balls for a decent draft pick, no trade assets, horrible contracts, no defensive schemes, etc...

Once Chauncey's game drops (he is 30+, it's just a matter of time), it's all over for them... When your frontcourt consists of Nene, K-mart, Chris Andersen, etc. you have a huge problem...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users