Photo

Marbury Has Verbal Agreement with Celtics?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:39 PM

That other team is rumored to be the Heat. I was a bit worried about the Celtics acquiring him to be honest, and among the reasons for wanting him here was so that Boston wouldn't have him. But with the recent re-emergence of Bynum, my worries have been quashed. I'd still like to have him for his talent and what he can add to the team, but if Boston does acquire him, I'm not worried.

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,073 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 03:14 PM

i'm pretty sure thats tampering so i don't know why marbury would come out with it i mean wait

the mavericks trade for jason kidd almost got screwed up because jerry stackhouse said he was going back to dallas anyways

he should have kept his mouth shut because the knicks hate him and could file tampering charges which could prevent him from going to bost

you cannot verbally agree to anything while a player is undercontract with another team i believe

oh well this is knicks and boston business and i personally don't think marbury will ever leave new york
Posted Image

#23 lakerball4life

lakerball4life

Off The Bench

• 1,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Machine

Posted January 26, 2009 - 04:15 PM

either that... or he is really devoted to the lakers, and in an attempt to show his loyalty, he is trying to F with the celtics :clap: get them fined, lose them their draft picks, and then sign with the lakers hahahaha
Posted Image

#24 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 26, 2009 - 04:17 PM

Too much news involving Marbury and the Knicks like everyday. :omg:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#25 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2009 - 04:45 PM

Celtics respond:

There has been absolutely no verbal commitment between the Celtics and New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, according to a source close to the situation.

Marbury told the New York Post on Sunday that he has an offer from the Celtics should he get free from his deal in New York. Marbury has not played since last April and is currently in a stalemate with the Knicks over the buyout of his $21 million contract.

The source went on to say the two sides have spoken (the Knicks gave Marbury permission to talk with other clubs), and that the Celts would definitely like to add him under the right circumstances.

LINK

#26 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,534 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:03 PM

hmm, he may have just ruined any chance he had with them by saying this, whether he had an agreement or not

Posted Image

#27 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 05:44 PM

Was Marbury lying? The Herald makes it seem like he was:

Knick guard Stephon Marbury told the New York Post that he has a verbal commitment from the Celtics on a contract should he get free from his deal in New York. However, a source close to the situation said today there has been absolutely no such guarantee from the Celts.

The source went on to say the two sides have spoken (the Knicks gave Marbury permission to talk with other clubs) and that the Celts would definitely like to add him under the right circumstances.

Celtic director of basketball operations Danny Ainge had no comment on the Marbury situation, but the club is not prepared to give him major playing time.

LINK

#28 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:53 PM

i smell trouble brewing
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#29 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:57 PM

I'd scream this to be valid...:D

#30 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,560 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:30 PM

Was Marbury lying? The Herald makes it seem like he was:

LINK

He wants to sabotage the Celtics to help the Lakers then sign with us. ;)

#31 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:34 AM

Three teams revealed... yet he told everyone he would sign with two. Hmmm...

Stephon Marbury appeared on Sports Center on Tuesday and tried to set the record straight on his situation. He has been in contact with the Celtics, Heat, and Mavericks.

"If something was to happen, I would be able to pick either of those teams," said Marbury. "So it's not do I have a verbal or did Boston give me a commitment. That's people saying what they are basically speculating on what I said. If I could get out of my deal, I'd have a chance to choose what teams that I am able to go to. Even if those teams are not there, another team might come up and try to do something. I don't know where it could go. But the whole truth of the matter is I have to be able to get out of my deal. And I'm in a deal where I'm basically locked in where I can't play basketball. I can't complain too much because they are still paying me.

"I don't believe that it's about the money," said Marbury. "I think it's about where I'm going to be playing basketball at. D'Antoni says that he doesn't mind if I play in Boston or if I played in Miami. He didn't care moving forward. I don't think it's necessarily about money. It can't be about money, whereas the Knicks, the organization itself, they're a billion dollar company, so I don't think it can be about that, especially when they owe me that money. I didn't come this year saying to the Knicks that I wanted to go in another direction. I came here ready to play. I did the exact thing Donnie Walsh told me to do. He told me to come in the best shape of my life and I did that."

#32 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Now Marbury wants to take the Vet min:

If Stephon Marbury does receive a buyout or release from the Knicks this season, he'd have to accept the veteran's minimum from a team like the Celtics.

Boston has refuted Marbury's claims that they have a verbal commitment in place should he become available, and because of luxury tax concerns, the team isn't likely to give anyone more than the veteran's minimum.

Marbury is reported to have already collected half of his $21 million salary this season even though he hasn't played a game for the Knicks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users