#41 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:04 PM

^ ken you need to meet me in the Pau or Bynum thread, but I am the only one who thinks people are overrated our talent pool, i feel like we have great pieces around Kobe, but I feel like if something happened to him, this team isnt built to last without him, the lack of playmakers come to mind, like if the C's miss Paul pierc, ray can create for himself and somewhat for others, rondo has some creativity also, i wold say odom could create but its inconsistent and Jordan can create but again not consistently at this point
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#42 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:10 PM

^ ken you need to meet me in the Pau or Bynum thread, but I am the only one who thinks people are overrated our talent pool, i feel like we have great pieces around Kobe, but I feel like if something happened to him, this team isnt built to last without him, the lack of playmakers come to mind, like if the C's miss Paul pierc, ray can create for himself and somewhat for others, rondo has some creativity also, i wold say odom could create but its inconsistent and Jordan can create but again not consistently at this point

I sense a subtle criticism of our offense, which I think is misplaced. We don't need a Chris Paul in this offense. Philip's teams have never had strong point guard play, not with the Bulls nor the last generation Lakers. What he requires is tough guys who can hit big shots. It's an offense built around passing, with more than one option as a penetrator. Chris Paul is great. But he has the ball 95% of the time. Would love to have him, but his kind is not a necessary condition for the execution of our offense.

Edited by Scott P, January 27, 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#43 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:27 PM

ummm, didnt really diss the triangle, and i didnt mention cp3, but i feel like kobe is the lebron or cp3 of this team and if he is removed that our offense would not be as effective and the other players wouldnt look the same Pau and Bynum included
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#44 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:38 PM

The Lakers was never a great defensive team... They won rings with Shaq and Fisher's horrible P&R D before... They will be fine...

While defense wins championships, there are some exceptions... Kobe/Shaq won 3 rings because of their superior offense (thanks to Shaq destroying the entire opponent's frontline, and Kobe/Horry closing games), so did Magic/Kareem... Heck, they embarrassed the defending champion Spurs last year even though they ate superior defensively...

I say 2007 Cavaliers was on par with the 2007 Spurs defensively, even though they have no anchor, but offensively they were so inept...

Bynum is back, Ariza is healthy, their bench production is aeons ahead of Boston's (which was the exact opposite during the Finals), they are more versatile offensively, more 3 pt. threat, etc...

They can play D... It's either they are lazy at times, or they are experimneting too much... This team is not the Golden State Warriors...

It's a new ballgame. ..
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#45 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:48 PM

ummm, didnt really diss the triangle, and i didnt mention cp3, but i feel like kobe is the lebron or cp3 of this team and if he is removed that our offense would not be as effective and the other players wouldnt look the same Pau and Bynum included

My bad, skimmed and saw Paul, as in Pierce not Chris.

The Lakers was never a great defensive team... They won rings with Shaq and Fisher's horrible P&R D before... They will be fine...

While defense wins championships, there are some exceptions... Kobe/Shaq won 3 rings because of their superior offense (thanks to Shaq destroying the entire opponent's frontline, and Kobe/Horry closing games), so did Magic/Kareem... Heck, they embarrassed the defending champion Spurs last year even though they ate superior defensively...

I say 2007 Cavaliers was on par with the 2007 Spurs defensively, even though they have no anchor, but offensively they were so inept...

Bynum is back, Ariza is healthy, their bench production is aeons ahead of Boston's (which was the exact opposite during the Finals), they are more versatile offensively, more 3 pt. threat, etc...

They can play D... It's either they are lazy at times, or they are experimneting too much... This team is not the Golden State Warriors...

It's a new ballgame. ..

Very well put AK.

Edited by Scott P, January 27, 2009 - 07:48 PM.

#46 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:00 PM

My bad, skimmed and saw Paul, as in Pierce not Chris.

Very well put AK.

What would you know, Scott P? You've only been watching the Lakers in person for 20 years.

#47 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:02 PM

good thing there wasnt anything to complain about during tonights game, right
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#48 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:03 AM

Scott P, he's good at math and he's freaking out because he thinks that these Lakers are like Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns of years past because we score a lot of points. If you read between the lines of all his brilliance, he does not believe that the Lakers' current style of basketball can win a championship this year.

Good deductions but still wrong.

The original post was about "fear". My comment was about how fear is earned on the defensive end.

Now everybody is jumping down my throat saying I'm "a spoiled Faker Fan"? Because I criticized the defense?

I made a legit observation.
I did comment on your numbers. They are about offense when I have made comments about defense. There's nothing to scrutinize, based on the irrelevance of the numbers in this specific argument.

And I NEVER said they couldn't win a ring as is. I commented on the DEFENSE...which is not a crime.

Homers want to see the world in Purple-&-Gold glasses. I'm sorry to sprinkle on the love-fest but I call them how I see them.

His "brilliance" is so dazzling it's hard to read between the line. His arrogance is so breathtaking methinks I'll skip his future posts. Can you imagine being so insecure you have to brag about taking Calculus IV?

Bragging? I'm bragging? You said I wasn't good at MATH, you argumentative "math guru"!!!!

Damned if I do.
Damned if I don't.

I don't say anything, I confirm your statement.
I say something, I'm "bragging"?

Incorrigible...plain and simple. And don't try to back out of your statements made earlier...afraid of getting banned for your comments? Think about them before you post them. No amount of "denial" is going to change the facts. There is no such thing as a "committed amateur PEDIATRIC GYNECOLOGIST". Nor would anyone WANT an unlicensed AMATEUR ANYTHING inspecting a MINOR'S genitalia.

Your comment was clearly vulgar and offensive not to mention slanderous. I guess that's the extent of your imagination. I would like it if you DID skip my posts. I don't care if you fought for WORLD PEACE for the last 20 years...this is a basketball forum.

Last time I checked, it was about your basketball knowledge, not your season tickets. From this conversation, people can deduce that you CAN have one without the other...thanks for proving my point.

Great posts guys. This team is so talented and has such a high basketball IQ that it's natural for us to get frustrated when they play sloppy D or have otherwise "ugly" stretches of play. Therefore, it is understanding why people of even the highest level of intelligence like Doc would get frustrated by anything less than perfection. Then again, math wizards and surgeons have little room for error. If there's a mistake in solving a problem, you get the answer wrong. If you remove the wrong kidney, you get sued. Doc, basketball ain't math or medicine; it's a game.

I've been impressed with the play of the Lakers...I'm just not impressed with their defense.

Am I not allowed to make a comment about basketball without people getting personal or attacking me for my opinions?

When did this happen?

You want to talk about fear? Let's talk about it.

How afraid were the BobCats tonight?

Edited by GCMD, January 28, 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#49 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:08 AM

you know what i fear that jerry west was right and gasol and bynum ca't play together

it seems when one is playing well the other isn't a majority of the time
Posted Image

#50 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:22 AM

What would you know, Scott P? You've only been watching the Lakers in person for 20 years.

So have I (on the TV...or do they hand out seminars on Laker basketball BEFORE every game?).

Since I wasn't "blessed" to be born in Los Angeles or into a "rich family" to fly me there from about 2500 miles away, I was "relegated" to watching them on the tube.

Does that make me LESS KNOWLEDGEABLE?

That's what's wrong with the Laker fan base today. You have the basketball fans who know basketball and basketball legacy/history...

Then you have SOME of the "entitled" Los-Angelenos thinking that BEING THERE means they are "BETTER" than the rest of us?

Makes me SICK because they are the FIRST ONES to JUMP SHIP!!!

*SPIT*

That's what I think of those comments. I'm starting to see why Sky and L4L left. The Los Angeles Aristocracy has made this place stuffy and less about basketball, more about "who's who".

Don't want my comments? Fine.
Don't insult the game with comments about "who's more knowledgeable" based on the number of games they've attended.

For the record...I'm a Laker fan til I die. I was a basketball fan first. I'll wager those creds against any season ticket holder for the last 30 years. At the end of the day, I will hold my own or get the better of ANY of them.

Edited by GCMD, January 28, 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#51 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:28 AM

you know what i fear that jerry west was right and gasol and bynum ca't play together

it seems when one is playing well the other isn't a majority of the time

Biggest problem with both on the floor?

Transition defense. Takes a hit and we get stung, 3-on-4 or 3-on-5.

But can they play together on offense? Yes. easily. Just gonna take a little more time to adjust and learn the roles on the court because people are going to throw all different types of defenses at them to prevent both from getting off. They are giving Pau 1-on-1 (late help) to keep Drew off the board. Or giving Drew 1-on-1 (late help) to keep Pau from facilitating out of the post/high-post.

Once we've seen it all a couple of times, our offense will be ready to adjust. Pau is such a great ball-mover and Bynum has such great hands and finishing skills that I can't imagine them not figuring it out.

Defensively? Physical limitations prevent us from stopping speed and athleticism in the open court. Quick BIGs beat us by getting into the paint before Pau or Bynum or any type of post D can be set. I anticipate Bynum's summer workout to help with that but it's never going to be great.

Edited by GCMD, January 28, 2009 - 12:30 AM.

#52 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:28 AM

So have I.

Since I wasn't "blessed" to be born in Los Angeles or into a "rich family" to fly me there from about 2500 miles away, I was "relegated" to watching them on the tube.

That's what's wrong with the Laker fan base today. You have the basketball fans who know basketball and basketball legacy/history...

Then you have SOME of the "entitled" Los-Angelenos thinking that BEING THERE means they are "BETTER" than the rest of us?

*SPIT*

That's what I think of those comments. I'm starting to see why Sky and L4L left. The Los Angeles Aristocracy has made this place stuffy and less about basketball, more about "who's who".

Don't insult the game with comments about "who's more knowledgeable" based on the number of games they've attended.

For the record...I'm a Laker fan til I die. I was a basketball fan first. I'll wager those creds against any season ticket holder for the last 30 years. At the end of the day, I will hold my own or get the better of ANY of them.

well to be fair l4l is still at CL which is the same thing there will always be elitist in every fan group its inherent of society
Posted Image

#53 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:39 AM

Elitist? Fine.

But don't equate games attended with basketball knowledge. That's not being "elitist". That's faulty logic, exposing lack of true knowledge of the game...

#54 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

• 1,838 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:08 AM

GCMD, you make a comment criticizing the teams defense and certain people want to jump on you for doing it, yet im watching the game tonight and i watch a "decent" PG kill us with his penetration (one of our main weaknesses) , a "okay" power forward outplay both of our power forwards who happen to have more talent than him, 31 assists to our 19 and almost 2 triple doubles from those 2 players ... no one except bynum stepped up when kobe fouled out, and everyone else disappeared in the clutch during the OT's ... well what can you do right, were NOT ALLOWED to criticize the play because we would be "faker" fans or wahhhhh "crybabies", what a load of BS, i understand that our team is great and a top 3 team, i understand that our team is the deepest in the league, i also understand that we shouldnt be spoiled because we could be bucks/clippers/kings/whomever hasnt been great ....... but when i see my team play like crap, i like to point out what went wrong and HOPE that the front office would adjust and fix the problem, hell this is a fan site where i can post my thoughts and comments right?
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#55 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 02:19 AM

Why do you guys write essays hating on each other? That's worse than flaming cuz it's too difficult to read.

#56 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 03:03 AM

GCMD, you make a comment criticizing the teams defense and certain people want to jump on you for doing it, yet im watching the game tonight and i watch a "decent" PG kill us with his penetration (one of our main weaknesses) , a "okay" power forward outplay both of our power forwards who happen to have more talent than him, 31 assists to our 19 and almost 2 triple doubles from those 2 players ... no one except bynum stepped up when kobe fouled out, and everyone else disappeared in the clutch during the OT's ... well what can you do right, were NOT ALLOWED to criticize the play because we would be "faker" fans or wahhhhh "crybabies", what a load of BS, i understand that our team is great and a top 3 team, i understand that our team is the deepest in the league, i also understand that we shouldnt be spoiled because we could be bucks/clippers/kings/whomever hasnt been great ....... but when i see my team play like crap, i like to point out what went wrong and HOPE that the front office would adjust and fix the problem, hell this is a fan site where i can post my thoughts and comments right?

I'm witcha as always phife...

Ken and Scott are notorious HOMER fans. When I was defending Bynum, they were on my side 100%. Of course, I defended Bynum because there was a REASON to defend him, not out of "fan appreciation".

Now that I criticize the Lakers' defense, they want to call me a pedophile and a Fake Fan...? Huh?

I love my Lakers but I'm going with the truth over loyalty when I'm talking to fellow LAKER fans. I wasn't aware that my "fan-status" was in question.

I guess, cause I'm not from LA, I'm always going to be "suspect"... :rolleyes:

#57 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 03:06 AM

Why do you guys write essays hating on each other? That's worse than flaming cuz it's too difficult to read.

Sorry...please excuse the verbage and diatribe. You should not have had to wade thru it.

#58 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

• 1,838 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:17 PM

sorry for derailing the thread
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#59 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:37 PM

I'm witcha as always phife...

Ken and Scott are notorious HOMER fans. When I was defending Bynum, they were on my side 100%. Of course, I defended Bynum because there was a REASON to defend him, not out of "fan appreciation".

Now that I criticize the Lakers' defense, they want to call me a pedophile and a Fake Fan...? Huh?

I love my Lakers but I'm going with the truth over loyalty when I'm talking to fellow LAKER fans. I wasn't aware that my "fan-status" was in question.

I guess, cause I'm not from LA, I'm always going to be "suspect"... :rolleyes:

I'm a HOMER and you're ENTITLED, so I guess we're even, Doc. It absolutely makes a difference being at a game versus watching it on television. I have season tickets and go to 14 games a year and it's simply a different perspective. The reason I talked about offense when you're focusing only on the other end of the floor was to point out the irrelevance of your argument as it applies to the Lakers. The point is that we can adjust to any style of play, but other teams can't adjust to our style. They must resort to focusing on defense all the time. We don't have to in order to win games. Come playoff time, all the screws will be tightened. I'm not blind and I get frustrated when point guards penetrate and when teams get too many points in the paint like last night, but not only is it a long season, it's a long game. But to lay blame on Derek Fisher, who happens to be one of the toughest on the ball defenders at his position is wrong. He's the victim of legal and moving picks like every point guard in the league, especially at the top of the key and he guards the quickest player on that team. He also takes more charges than any point guard in the league. As for the interior defense, Pau and Drew are still learning how to play with each other and that will iron itself out, but it's nothing to whine about. For example, it's noticeable how the defense usually picks up when Lamar's in the game. Call me a homer if you wish; I call myself patient.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 28, 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#60 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:49 PM

So have I (on the TV...or do they hand out seminars on Laker basketball BEFORE every game?).

*SPIT*

Wow. Wrath, envy and pride. Three of the seven deadly sins in one post! Congrats! As far as being the first one to jump ship, I was a season ticket holder when Sedale Threatt was their best player and Sam Bowie was their starting center. This post reveals so much. Your arrogance is merely (and typically) hiding a massive inferiority complex. I apologize. You're more to be pitied than scorned. You obviously can give it but can't take it. I'll lay off. And for the record, I didn't know you weren't a native, and certainly didn't know you feared and loathed we elite.

Edited by Scott P, January 28, 2009 - 06:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users