• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#21 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:14 AM

He has a superiority complex when discussing anything Laker related. That's the equivalent of 20 years of season ticket holding, right?

Superiority complex?

Wow...from others, that's expected. You, SG? Wow.

Oh well. Not like I really care either way.

And I really shouldn't discuss defense when talking about Lakers and fear...so stupid of me.

#22 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:15 AM

the exchanges in this thread has struck fear into this laker fan
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#23 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:19 AM

His arrogance is staggering. He does have game, just not as much as he thinks.

Thanks...I guess there is a correlation between your ability to buy season tickets to your basketball knowledge...

I guess there's truth in the old saying...

THose who can't do, watch those that can.
Those who can't talk about basketball, berate those who can.

Step up to the plate with something remotely intelligent ("Faker Fan" doesn't count) and people will take you serious.

And you and SG can get a room. Hate me? Take a number. Stand in line.

#24 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:46 AM

Posted Image
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#25 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thanks...I guess there is a correlation between your ability to buy season tickets to your basketball knowledge...

I guess there's truth in the old saying...

THose who can't do, watch those that can.
Those who can't talk about basketball, berate those who can.

Step up to the plate with something remotely intelligent ("Faker Fan" doesn't count) and people will take you serious.

And you and SG can get a room. Hate me? Take a number. Stand in line.

Stand in line? Sorry, too long a line. I'd rather sit in my season seats and talk basketball with my knowledgeable friends than debate with an anonymous knucklehead. Ah, the bravery of the anonymous! Given your arrogance and "MD" name, I'm guessing you're a physician. I have a few working for me, they're all the same. My guess is that you're a pediatric gynecologist. If not a real one, than a committed amateur.

#26 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:47 AM

Great article, let's not get too cocky, but I really think fully healthy we have the best team in the league for sure.

You meant to say "Know your role, Jabroni"

Thats reserved for the Great One :toocool:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#27 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:59 AM

Give up 100 ppg and I'm not exactly sure you can strike real fear in any good team.

Any good defensive team will hold the Lakers under their average...will the Lakers do the same?

Lakers give up 98.76 ppg. How many teams AVERAGE 98.76+ ppg? 12 (not counting the Lakers). That means the majority of the league gets their avg or more against us. Where do the Lakers rank in opp ppg? 14th.

Defense is definitely not our strong suit.

Math is not your strong suit. We've scored 97 or less 4 times. Holding teams to 98.76 has gotten us the best record in basketball. So, wrong again Doc.

#28 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:01 AM

Math is not your strong suit. We've scored 97 or less 4 times. Holding teams to 98.76 has gotten us the best record in basketball. So, wrong again Doc.

so are you saying we should be content with our defense so far?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#29 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:12 AM

Stand in line? Sorry, too long a line. I'd rather sit in my season seats and talk basketball with my knowledgeable friends than debate with an anonymous knucklehead. Ah, the bravery of the anonymous! Given your arrogance and "MD" name, I'm guessing you're a physician. I have a few working for me, they're all the same. My guess is that you're a pediatric gynecologist. If not a real one, than a committed amateur.

Excellent observations, Scott P. In the 43 regular season games played to date, the Lakers have scored less than 100 points 7 times, and they are 5-2 in those games. They are 3-2 in games they have scored less than 97 points, and 2-0 when they score more than 97 points, but less than 100. Therefore, on average, it appears that their defense is adequate even when they score less than 100 points in a game. Here's another thing, Doc. This is a Phil Jackson coached team. The only meaning the regular season has to him this year is to try to get home court advantage throughout the playoffs and to have the Lakers peaking come playoff time, which means that he's doing a lot of experimenting on defense. The screws will be tightened and the defense will be refined to the best of the players' abilities come playoff time. We don't have thugs like the Celtics or Cavs do. These are teams with two different styles. If we stay healthy, we are clearly the deeper of the 2 teams this year and odds are that in a 7 game series we will wear down whomever our opponent is this year, including the "good" defensive teams like Boston. In fact, we played pretty good D against them already, and they were riding a 19 game winning streak, right? Scott P is absolutely correct. http://sports.espn.g...hedule?team=lal

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 27, 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#30 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Last season Bynum was playing 1st option ball. He is slowly getting back to that level.

#31 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:33 AM

How much we score has nothing to do with our defense...
I made a comment about our defense.
I made a comment about defense being the true source of fear.

What aren't you getting?

And math? Yeah...when you finish Calc I-IV, Physical Chemistry, or learn Nuclear Physics (in the Naval Nuclear Program, the 2nd toughest Technical school in the nation behind MIT), get back to me about "math". I'm not a math genius but I hold my own.

We're talking about defense here...(well, I am). We play sporadic D. That's not scaring anyone.

This conversation is STUPID...

I said the Lakers defense is not feared and that's where true fear comes from in basketball.

You are being obtuse and belligerent (not to mention offensive - calling a person a pedophile is way below the belt, vulgar and immature).

You want to say I'm a Fake Fan, hater or ignorant about basketball? Fine. Calling me a pervert is where I draw the line.

Go your way. I'll go mine. Continue and I'll simply report you to the mods. I don't have time for this.

#32 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 11:43 AM

Excellent observations, Scott P. In the 43 regular season games played to date, the Lakers have scored less than 100 points 7 times, and they are 5-2 in those games. They are 3-2 in games they have scored less than 97 points, and 2-0 when they score more than 97 points, but less than 100. Therefore, on average, it appears that their defense is adequate even when they score less than 100 points in a game. Here's another thing, Doc. This is a Phil Jackson coached team. The only meaning the regular season has to him this year is to try to get home court advantage throughout the playoffs and to have the Lakers peaking come playoff time, which means that he's doing a lot of experimenting on defense. The screws will be tightened and the defense will be refined to the best of the players' abilities come playoff time. We don't have thugs like the Celtics or Cavs do. These are teams with two different styles. If we stay healthy, we are clearly the deeper of the 2 teams this year and odds are that in a 7 game series we will wear down whomever our opponent is this year, including the "good" defensive teams like Boston. In fact, we played pretty good D against them already, and they were riding a 19 game winning streak, right? Scott P is absolutely correct. http://sports.espn.g...hedule?team=lal

So, you are saying that our D is good?

If you argue that the pace inflates that score, that's plausible. I'd go with that.

Make the claim that its Phil who's changing things up that's messing up the D? That's stretching it.

And our D was the difference in the games against BOS and CLE? Not even close.

We play poor P&R D. We gamble too much on the perimeter and Drew has just RECENTLY started playing the role of anchor in the middle. Not to mention, the team was banged up for about 3-4 weeks recently.

The potential is there for us to be a good defensive team but that has NOT come to fruition as of yet. Making a case for it with little to no facts to back it up? Not very convincing.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it.

#33 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 12:29 PM

And math? Yeah...when you finish Calc I-IV, Physical Chemistry, or learn Nuclear Physics (in the Naval Nuclear Program, the 2nd toughest Technical school in the nation behind MIT), get back to me about "math". I'm not a math genius but I hold my own.

We're talking about defense here...(well, I am). We play sporadic D. That's not scaring anyone.

You are being obtuse and belligerent (not to mention offensive - calling a person a pedophile is way below the belt, vulgar and immature).

You want to say I'm a Fake Fan, hater or ignorant about basketball? Fine. Calling me a pervert is where I draw the line.

Go your way. I'll go mine. Continue and I'll simply report you to the mods. I don't have time for this.

Wow, a boy genius. So you took Calculus IV, and I took "Integration over Infinite dimensional space". Big deal. You sure Cal Tech or Harvey Mudd isn't just behind MIT? Reread the post, never called you a pedophile. LEARN TO READ. Report me to the moderator? Wow you really are a tough guy. Please stop harassing me with your macho, arrogant crap. Quite immature.

Edited by Scott P, January 27, 2009 - 01:02 PM.

#34 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 02:03 PM

So, you are saying that our D is good?

If you argue that the pace inflates that score, that's plausible. I'd go with that.

Make the claim that its Phil who's changing things up that's messing up the D? That's stretching it.

And our D was the difference in the games against BOS and CLE? Not even close.

We play poor P&R D. We gamble too much on the perimeter and Drew has just RECENTLY started playing the role of anchor in the middle. Not to mention, the team was banged up for about 3-4 weeks recently.

The potential is there for us to be a good defensive team but that has NOT come to fruition as of yet. Making a case for it with little to no facts to back it up? Not very convincing.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it.

I'm saying that our defense, combined with our depth, length, athleticism, basketball IQ and ability to score seemingly at will, is good enough to win the NBA Championship this year.

I'm saying that because of the type of players we have, particularly our bigs (along with Luke and Buzz Kill), we don't have the tough guys like the Celtics do and therefore must adjust to a different type of defense and that because Phil Jackson (9 rings, remember?) knows this is a marathon, he and the coaching staff will figure out what works best on the defensive end come playoff time.

The gambling you see on the perimeter is part of the experimentation because this team is not as capable as the Cavs or Celtics to play straight up man to man defense by virtue of the type of athletes we have. However, because we have great athletes, the defense will be fine come playoff time, and the Lakers have shown that they can clamp down when they want to.

In answer to your question, yes we are a very good defensive team and a great offensive team that has the potential to be great at both ends of the floor come playoff time. Did we go to the NBA Finals without Trevor Ariza and Andrew Bynum last year or am I missing something? THE NBA FINALS!! 6 games. We're 35-8. 35-8. And you're complaining about our defense? I know defense wins championships and that's why the Celtics won last year. We'll be better than them this time around.

Doc, you haven't disputed the numbers I posted. What up with that? I'll take the opinion of someone who has gone to the games for 20 years and who prides himself in understanding long term trends in the season over a Laker fan whose obvious overall sense of entitlement is greater than the sum of its parts ... any day. How's that for a little bit of math, Doc? Scoreboard: Scott P!without

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 27, 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#35 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:13 PM

LEARN TO READ.

Scott P, he's good at math and he's freaking out because he thinks that these Lakers are like Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns of years past because we score a lot of points. If you read between the lines of all his brilliance, he does not believe that the Lakers' current style of basketball can win a championship this year.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 27, 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#36 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:25 PM

Scott P, he's good at math and he's freaking out because he thinks that these Lakers are like Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns of years past because we score a lot of points. If you read between the lines of all his brilliance, he does not believe that the Lakers' current style of basketball can win a championship this year.

His "brilliance" is so dazzling it's hard to read between the line. His arrogance is so breathtaking methinks I'll skip his future posts. Can you imagine being so insecure you have to brag about taking Calculus IV?

#37 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:38 PM

wow, i usually get this heated, i love it because we ALL LOVE THE LAKERS and thats the incredible thing. i just think that some people's expectations are TOO high so i can side with ken and scott on some levels. And i agree that the Lakers can improve on D, but bottom line is whoever has the most points win, and we score differently from the suns, because we dont rely on the three and kobe breaking down the D solely. We have the fast break, ariza's slashing, pau passing, pau scoring, bynum scoring, great ball movement, farmar creating, sasha chucking, luke luking, and best of all mamba closing, so I thionk a Healthy Lakers is the best i have seen so far in the league this year, Boston is close, Cavs and Spurs are somewhat close, but barring injury or tired legs, or playing bad ball at the wrong time of the season( which happens to great teams from time-to time), we should be the FAVORITES TO WIN, and thats all i can ask from an organization comprised of human beings trying hard to accomplish their goals.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#38 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:46 PM

wow, i usually get this heated, i love it because we ALL LOVE THE LAKERS and thats the incredible thing. i just think that some people's expectations are TOO high so i can side with ken and scott on some levels. And i agree that the Lakers can improve on D, but bottom line is whoever has the most points win, and we score differently from the suns, because we dont rely on the three and kobe breaking down the D solely. We have the fast break, ariza's slashing, pau passing, pau scoring, bynum scoring, great ball movement, farmar creating, sasha chucking, luke luking, and best of all mamba closing, so I thionk a Healthy Lakers is the best i have seen so far in the league this year, Boston is close, Cavs and Spurs are somewhat close, but barring injury or tired legs, or playing bad ball at the wrong time of the season( which happens to great teams from time-to time), we should be the FAVORITES TO WIN, and thats all i can ask from an organization comprised of human beings trying hard to accomplish their goals.

Not to mention what a joy it is to watch this team execute. If you complain about this team, you'll never be happy. The complaining faker fans don't know how blessed they are. They should try living in Milwaukee or Philadelphia or Seattle. Excellent post, by the way.

Edited by Scott P, January 27, 2009 - 05:47 PM.

#39 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 27, 2009 - 05:57 PM

yeah sense of entitlement buyrns me up, but it keeps the team relevant...its funny because Kobe kinda has a sense of enTITLEment so i cant blame the fans. The bottom line is we are very lucky and if we are truly LAKERS FANS we have to appreciate that the organization is doing right now, I know that the losses in the finals(the TWO in particular) Hurt us all real bad, but the LAKERS have never been known as a DEFENSIVE TEAM, and we have had some great great teams. I just feel that we will make that improvement. Plus a lot of games that were blowouts were on pace to be defensive clinics but the 2nd and 3rd unit pushed the pace to an unreeasonable level forcing buckets to sun, luke, chris and josh...but anyway lets all calm down...maybe the doctor cxan give out prescrptions... :beers: :shifty: :winkglasses:
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#40 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Great posts guys. This team is so talented and has such a high basketball IQ that it's natural for us to get frustrated when they play sloppy D or have otherwise "ugly" stretches of play. Therefore, it is understanding why people of even the highest level of intelligence like Doc would get frustrated by anything less than perfection. Then again, math wizards and surgeons have little room for error. If there's a mistake in solving a problem, you get the answer wrong. If you remove the wrong kidney, you get sued. Doc, basketball ain't math or medicine; it's a game.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 27, 2009 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users