#1 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 25, 2009 - 11:01 PM

Link to article

LOS ANGELES – Pau Gasol’s shot caromed off the rim, and, suddenly, Andrew Bynum was pushing past Tim Duncan, snatching the ball out of the air and forcibly flushing it back for an emphatic dunk, a show of aggression that brought a smile to the face of every member of the Los Angeles Lakers.

“When he plays that way,” Lakers guard Derek Fisher said, referring to Bynum’s third-quarter slam, “it makes us almost impossible to beat.”

The San Antonio Spurs have reason to wonder the same, as does the rest of the Western Conference. The Lakers took the court Sunday afternoon with a healthy roster for the first time in a month, with their young franchise center playing better than he has all season, and, well, isn’t this exactly what everyone feared?

The Lakers beat the Spurs 99-85, dismissing their closest challenger in the West so thoroughly that San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich didn’t even bother to summon either Duncan or Tony Parker from the bench in the fourth quarter. Kobe Bryant and Bynum also spent the game’s final 12 minutes relaxing on the sideline, the former having gone for 22 points, the latter totaling 15 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks in an efficient 24 minutes of work.

#2 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 26, 2009 - 08:27 AM

Bump for a great article. I read it on Yahoo firsthand though.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:05 AM

This is exactly what LD2K and I have been saying. With Bynum playing at this high level, it just gives us a new option to our already dangerous high scoring offense.

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 26, 2009 - 10:13 AM

Now Bynum's shown he pull off a strong game against a quality post.

Next step - consistency.

If Andrew gets even the slightest bit consistent with these kinds of games, then yeah things get real tough for other teams all over the NBA.

#5 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:09 PM

Fear?

True fear will come from holding teams to 85 or less.

#6 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:16 PM

This is exactly what LD2K and I have been saying. With Bynum playing at this high level, it just gives us a new option to our already dangerous high scoring offense.

But isn't that obvious?

Consistent rebounding and a defensive presence, meaning when guards not picking on him when they drive to the rim, is what we need from him more than anything if we care about being even better.
Basketball Reasons...

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:24 PM

Oh yeah most definitely, his defensive presence is something that we need more than his offense. But if he is able to wear down the other team's big man by going right at him and making them work on the defensive side, we will be able to dominate the inside and outside more easily.

#8 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:02 PM

Fear?

True fear will come from holding teams to 85 or less.

not untilwe stop averaging over 97 a game, asking the team to beat teams on average by 13 is disrespecting every other player in this league, who all want to win and who are have a great deal of talent and pride
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:22 PM

not untilwe stop averaging over 97 a game, asking the team to beat teams on average by 13 is disrespecting every other player in this league, who all want to win and who are have a great deal of talent and pride

Give up 100 ppg and I'm not exactly sure you can strike real fear in any good team.

Any good defensive team will hold the Lakers under their average...will the Lakers do the same?

Lakers give up 98.76 ppg. How many teams AVERAGE 98.76+ ppg? 12 (not counting the Lakers). That means the majority of the league gets their avg or more against us. Where do the Lakers rank in opp ppg? 14th.

Defense is definitely not our strong suit.

#10 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Give up 100 ppg and I'm not exactly sure you can strike real fear in any good team.

Any good defensive team will hold the Lakers under their average...will the Lakers do the same?

Lakers give up 98.76 ppg. How many teams AVERAGE 98.76+ ppg? 12 (not counting the Lakers). That means the majority of the league gets their avg or more against us. Where do the Lakers rank in opp ppg? 14th.

Defense is definitely not our strong suit.

Yeah, and we only beat the Spurs by 14. And we only have the best record in the lead. And we only have the fastest tempo in the league allowing more scoring opportunities. You Faker fans are satisfied unless we win every game 120 to 85.

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:38 PM

Slow your roll, Scott P. You don't know who/what you're talking about.

Best to just walk away from this one.

#12 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 06:39 PM

going to be a blood bath in here....

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#13 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:24 PM

Great article, let's not get too cocky, but I really think fully healthy we have the best team in the league for sure.

Slow your roll, Scott P.

You meant to say "Know your role, Jabroni"

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,331 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 07:31 PM

lets slow down and not get ahead of ourselves

its still only january no reason to get too high or too low
Posted Image

#15 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 08:48 PM

Slow your roll, Scott P. You don't know who/what you're talking about.

Best to just walk away from this one.

Lol. Okay tough guy. Laker season ticket holder for 20 years. You?

#16 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted January 26, 2009 - 08:54 PM

Lol. Okay tough guy. Laker season ticket holder for 20 years. You?

He has a superiority complex when discussing anything Laker related. That's the equivalent of 20 years of season ticket holding, right?

#17 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 08:58 PM

He has a superiority complex when discussing anything Laker related. That's the equivalent of 20 years of season ticket holding, right?

His arrogance is staggering. He does have game, just not as much as he thinks.

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:15 PM

Everyone settle down and discuss the topic, not the posters.

#19 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 26, 2009 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, and we only beat the Spurs by 14. And we only have the best record in the lead. And we only have the fastest tempo in the league allowing more scoring opportunities. You Faker fans are satisfied unless we win every game 120 to 85.

so what, we had the 3rd best record in the league last year, we DO NOT have the fastest tempo in the league (i dont know where you got that from but im pretty sure GS and NY run more than us amongst others) beat the spurs 4 games to 1 last year in the conference finals ... and then we got wrecked by the celtics .... i dont know how you can call someone a "faker" fan when all theyre asking for is better defense when we are giving up 98 points a game
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#20 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 27, 2009 - 08:50 AM

so what, we had the 3rd best record in the league last year, we DO NOT have the fastest tempo in the league (i dont know where you got that from but im pretty sure GS and NY run more than us amongst others) beat the spurs 4 games to 1 last year in the conference finals ... and then we got wrecked by the celtics .... i dont know how you can call someone a "faker" fan when all theyre asking for is better defense when we are giving up 98 points a game

Waaa. My team's not perfect. Waaaa. Pau's soft. Waaa. Kobe shoots too much. Waaa, Bynum only got one rebound. Waaa, we didn't win the NBA finals in a year when nobody thought we'd be competitive. Waaa. Waaa.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users