• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted January 24, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Gordon has easily taken the second scoring option role on this team, even with everyone healthy. Dunleavy said it too- you have to see how he's been scoring, not how much he's scoring. Look at the difficulty of his shots and the talent within his game.

Sure his touches will go down a bit- but I told you that he did it during 11 games and during those 11 the lineup didn't change. It was either 11 or 16, I don't remember right now and I'll look it up later.

Another thing is fido, it could be even harder doing it on a depleted team. Or let me rephrase that- it may be harder to do it EFFICIENTLY on a depleted team. Look at it this way- sure he'll get more touches, but is that always a good thing? For some people, getting more touches can be a bad thing.. Meaning maybe they'll chuck up 43 shots and have 39 points or something. But for Gordon, more touches has been a good thing. He scored 41 on 19 field goal attempts last night- which is much better than what Baron Davis or anyone else would have done last night if they played.

Another thing is, no matter who's on your team, this is NBA competition. Who cares who's on your team, when you have guys like Kobe Bryant and Tayshaun Prince guarding you. This should make it even easier to lock Gordon down because now they don't have to worry about leaving Baron Davis or Zach Randolph to double team Gordon.

Who would you rather leave to double team Gordon- Zach Randolph or Brian Skinner? Case in point.

Gordon's been playing like a veteran lately, and I don't mean stat-wise. Until you watch a Clipper game and see how Gordon really plays, I don't think you can say much. He's handled double teams, full court pressure, and other defensive "mechanisms" as well as anyone else in the league. His game looks a bit like Dwayne Wade right now.

One thing that should be impressing you, if his offense doesn't, is his defense. LOCK.DOWN.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 08:50 PM

eric gordon is no better than ben gordon

ben gordon has had his big games and plays good defense

eric and ben are clones of each other plain and simple
Posted Image

#23 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:47 PM

Sorry, but I completely disagree.

Eric Gordon is a MUCH better defender and hasn't hit the rookie wall at all playing extended minutes. Not only that, but Ben doesn't have the driving ability of Eric imo.

Plus their stats are close:

Posted Image

#24 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:32 PM

Lol sorry man but I laughed on the inside

Ben Gordon was on the trading block, Eric Gordon is untouchable right now. Eric Gordon plays LOCK down defense, Ben Gordon is known as a defensive liability. Ben Gordon forces up a lot of shots too.

Don't be fooled by Eric Gordon's stats- the stats are still recovering from the 2 minutes per game he was getting early in the season when he was in Dunleavy's doghouse.

He's leading the rookies in scoring in a dominating fashion in December and January and just keeps going with his tear. He's also made something like 23 of his last 43 3 pointers and is averaging higher than 45% ever since the Randolph trade. I say higher than 45% because it was 45% before the 41 point outburst, and he had 5-7 that night.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#25 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:43 PM

Ben Gordon is a complete matador and about as smart as Smush Parker... You know, with him turning down that 50 mil contract and all...

Edited by Avtomat Kalashnikov, January 24, 2009 - 10:44 PM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#26 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted January 24, 2009 - 11:43 PM

Why can't Eric Gordon do this in the sim league

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 11:50 PM

Lol sorry man but I laughed on the inside

Ben Gordon was on the trading block, Eric Gordon is untouchable right now. Eric Gordon plays LOCK down defense, Ben Gordon is known as a defensive liability. Ben Gordon forces up a lot of shots too.

Don't be fooled by Eric Gordon's stats- the stats are still recovering from the 2 minutes per game he was getting early in the season when he was in Dunleavy's doghouse.

He's leading the rookies in scoring in a dominating fashion in December and January and just keeps going with his tear. He's also made something like 23 of his last 43 3 pointers and is averaging higher than 45% ever since the Randolph trade. I say higher than 45% because it was 45% before the 41 point outburst, and he had 5-7 that night.

lockdown defense lmao clipper kool aid runs deep in your veins

first zach randolph is great now eric is a lockdown defender hows paul davis he a top 15 center
Posted Image

#28 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 12:02 AM

He's a better defender for sure than Ben Gordon... But lockdown D? That's too much.
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#29 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 01:44 AM

He's a better defender for sure than Ben Gordon... But lockdown D? That's too much.

i never said eric wasn't a good defender but like you said lockdown defense

that really is too much

lebron and kobe in the 4th quarter thats lockdown defense

ben wallace cerca 2004 thats lockdown defense

ron artest, battier, 2005 bruce bown lockdown

eric gordon decent defender
Posted Image

#30 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 02:39 AM

lockdown defense lmao clipper kool aid runs deep in your veins

first zach randolph is great now eric is a lockdown defender hows paul davis he a top 15 center

I think that was very rude, and took offense from that statement.

I'm trying to have a debate here until immature biased fans who never watch the Clippers come with statements like this.

I never said anything about Zach Randolph OR Paul Davis, please get your facts straight. I said Paul Davis is good at boxing out a while back, and I said Zach has been hustling and playing with heart.

For your information Eric Gordon's defense is what sets him apart from the other rookies. Night in night out he has the duty to guard the most talented player on the other team.

He's quick, his body is NBA ready and strong as hell, and his arms are LONG.

I called it from watching him in college, the guy is a jump shot blocker. Meaning he blocks shots when people are jump shooting. He's done so on numerous occasions already this year, he gets one or two every game.

He's done a hell of a job with his perimeter defense and has already earned the title of the team's best perimeter defender BY FAR.

By the way, there's no specific skill level to be called "lock down". It's just a subjective term that means really freaking good defense. I didn't say he's the defensive player of the year or anything.

But apparently, you think Ben Gordon plays good defense so ... enough said for now.

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 25, 2009 - 02:51 AM.

#31 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 04:53 AM

He is a good defender, but he's not Gary Payton-like defender, that's lock down D... It's (at least IMO), when you limit his shots... Westbrook is a 41% shooter, averaging about 12 FGA... 4/13 is pretty common for him...

It's like when T-mac dropped 30+ at the half, then Kobe locked him for only 1 or 2 pts. at the 2nd half...
Karl Marx

#32 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 09:10 AM

He is a good defender, but he's not Gary Payton-like defender, that's lock down D... It's (at least IMO), when you limit his shots... Westbrook is a 41% shooter, averaging about 12 FGA... 4/13 is pretty common for him...

It's like when T-mac dropped 30+ at the half, then Kobe locked him for only 1 or 2 pts. at the 2nd half...

This game didn't stamp him, but Westbrook has been on a tear lately and they've ranked him above Gordon on the rookie rankings.

The game before this one, he dropped 30 again, with 12 assists.

For some reason on NBA.com they said he had more offensive firepower than Gordon and almost as much as Mayo. For Gordon to limit him to 11 points AND score 41 is impressive to me IMO.

Oh by the way 4 of Westbrook's free throws this game were absolute garbage. All bias aside, on one play Gordon absolutely stuffed the monkey brains on Westbrook's jumper, into the first row... And they called a foul. Gordon couldn't believe it- then when they showed the replay, he hit the ball AFTER it was in the air, didn't even touch Westrbrook... And the other free throws, he should have had a charging foul but got a BS blocking foul called. So those 4 were actually gifts...

#33 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Oh and by the way, I know Westbrook is averaging 12 shots but you gota remember, for both Gordon's and Westbrook's stats, it's VERY VERY VERY hard to recover from a first 3 months of the season where they barely ever cracked the rotation.

It's the same thing Thornton went through last year, going through an absolute amazing second half of the season scoring-wise and ending up with only 12 points per game because it's very hard to raise it up after a poor first half.

It's kinda like.. When you're failing a class really bad for the first half of the semester and then you start acing it.. You still can't get back up too easily.

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 03:21 PM

again you can take offense to a statement that wasn't even meant to offend you but the truth of the matter is he is not a lockdown defender or anything close to it

and no lockdown defender is not a subjective term it is a term thrown to people who shut people down on a night in night out basis and are actually weapons defensively

gordon doesn't even come withing a lightyear of that he is a decent defender good on a good night

throwing around lockdown defender or great is being a biased fan

its like a charger fan saying quintin jammer is a shutdown corner yeah hes decent and good on a good day but hes so far from a shutdown corner its blind to say he is

and the same goes for gordon he is not a lockdown defender

and by the way ben gordon is a very capable defender when he gets down and decides to play defense in his rookie year defense was one of his stronger attributes through the years he has developed somewhat an attitude that ignores defense but coming out of college and in his rookie year he was a very capable defender

Oh and by the way, I know Westbrook is averaging 12 shots but you gota remember, for both Gordon's and Westbrook's stats, it's VERY VERY VERY hard to recover from a first 3 months of the season where they barely ever cracked the rotation.

It's the same thing Thornton went through last year, going through an absolute amazing second half of the season scoring-wise and ending up with only 12 points per game because it's very hard to raise it up after a poor first half.

It's kinda like.. When you're failing a class really bad for the first half of the semester and then you start acing it.. You still can't get back up too easily.

westbrook is one of the easiest lottery picks to defend hes not like mayo or gordon he's pretty much at this point a 1 trick pony who can only get into the lane

westbrook can be shut down easier than all of the lottery picks because if you scout him you give him jumpers all day and thats what gordon did

Edited by last stand 2.0, January 25, 2009 - 03:22 PM.

Posted Image

#35 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:39 PM

again you can take offense to a statement that wasn't even meant to offend you but the truth of the matter is he is not a lockdown defender or anything close to it

and no lockdown defender is not a subjective term it is a term thrown to people who shut people down on a night in night out basis and are actually weapons defensively

gordon doesn't even come withing a lightyear of that he is a decent defender good on a good night

throwing around lockdown defender or great is being a biased fan

its like a charger fan saying quintin jammer is a shutdown corner yeah hes decent and good on a good day but hes so far from a shutdown corner its blind to say he is

and the same goes for gordon he is not a lockdown defender

and by the way ben gordon is a very capable defender when he gets down and decides to play defense in his rookie year defense was one of his stronger attributes through the years he has developed somewhat an attitude that ignores defense but coming out of college and in his rookie year he was a very capable defender

westbrook is one of the easiest lottery picks to defend hes not like mayo or gordon he's pretty much at this point a 1 trick pony who can only get into the lane

westbrook can be shut down easier than all of the lottery picks because if you scout him you give him jumpers all day and thats what gordon did

The reason Gordon got minutes is because of his DEFENSE. He plays D on the best player on the other team EVERY GAME.

Westbrook is not a one trick pony, how the hell is he getting all these points lately.

And guess what, you weren't trying to offend me, but you did. You sound so blind about your analysis on Gordon... It's unreal. I don't know why you're even trying this hard to argue about it.

If you like to assume things, I'm gona assume something too... WATCH A CLIPPER GAME BEFORE YOU CAN TALK.

Tonight is a great opportunity, at 6 pm.

#36 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:43 PM

This is very subjective. This is your opinion on Westbrook- even if a BSPN analyst said this it doesn't mean it's true. Or maybe you think he's just a dunker because he was an option to vote for for the dunk contest... One trick pony or not, is he getting his points? Did he not have a bad game against the Clippers (specifically Eric Gordon?)

#37 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 05:51 PM

The reason Gordon got minutes is because of his DEFENSE. He plays D on the best player on the other team EVERY GAME.

Westbrook is not a one trick pony, how the hell is he getting all these points lately.

And guess what, you weren't trying to offend me, but you did. You sound so blind about your analysis on Gordon... It's unreal. I don't know why you're even trying this hard to argue about it.

If you like to assume things, I'm gona assume something too... WATCH A CLIPPER GAME BEFORE YOU CAN TALK.

Tonight is a great opportunity, at 6 pm.

i try my best to avoid watching little brother

no offense but your analysis of gordon is completely bias while i give my unbiased opinion

yeah i don't like the clippers team but i have nothing against gordon in fact Indiana is one of the few basketball teams i watched last year and i know an awful lot about gordon

like i said he is a decent defender who is a good defender on a good day

while you say hes lockdown which is about as false a statement as your randolph is great statement

and westbrook is a one trick pony right now i know i watch a lot of thunder games because i am a longhorn basketball fan and kevin durant is one of my favorite players

how many westbrook games have you watched outside of the clipper game my guess is very little you just want to make your point of gordon being a lockdown defender by saying westbrook is a great scorer so it looks like gordon shut him down
Posted Image

#38 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 25, 2009 - 06:14 PM

no offense but your analysis of gordon is completely bias while i give my unbiased opinion

yeah i don't like the clippers team but i have nothing against gordon in fact Indiana is one of the few basketball teams i watched last year and i know an awful lot about gordon

like i said he is a decent defender who is a good defender on a good day

while you say hes lockdown which is about as false a statement as your randolph is great statement

and westbrook is a one trick pony right now i know i watch a lot of thunder games because i am a longhorn basketball fan and kevin durant is one of my favorite players

how many westbrook games have you watched outside of the clipper game my guess is very little you just want to make your point of gordon being a lockdown defender by saying westbrook is a great scorer so it looks like gordon shut him down

I have league pass, Durant is one of my favorite players. I've seen Westbrook in many games and myself, am one of the biggest UCLA fans (I plan to transfer there next year actually). I've watched the Thunder on several occasions this year including 3 games against the Clippers so far.

Wow man, wow. This thread isn't to prove he's a lock down defender. It was for his 41 points WHILE ALSO locking down Westbrook. If I was going to prove his defense it wouldn't be against a rookie. He's locked down many players so far, like I said the best players on the opposing team. This wasn't the only good defensive game he's ever had. Then again, you wouldn't know cause you don't watch "little brother"..

You watched Gordon in COLLEGE. He was not a defender back then and nowhere near one because he was the "take over" offensive player there. Plus everyone plays defense in college (And Indiana was a hell of a good defending team).

You just shot yourself in the foot.

Game set match. How am I biased when you don't even watch the person you're talking about. Gordon's defense is off the charts especially for his age.

And you're saying, a 6'11 guy, who scores 24 and 10 isn't a great player? By the way, Dunleavy's system makes him shine even more. And he just added a 3 pointer to his game. Oh and he made a team that was 2 for their first 20 games into a team that went 6-5 for a stretch without Chris Kaman. That's pretty impressive right there.

Watch a little bit of Clippers before going into battle against a "biased" Clipper fan. I am biased but I know my shhhiii- my NBA. ;)

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 25, 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#39 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 25, 2009 - 07:38 PM

You critics are being way too harsh on him. Nobody expected him to come in and be anything more than a scorer. He's exceeded expectations for he has seemed to find his groove right away instead of taking a few seasons. On top of that he's playing acceptable defense which is uncommon for a shooter.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#40 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 26, 2009 - 12:34 AM

You critics are being way too harsh on him. Nobody expected him to come in and be anything more than a scorer. He's exceeded expectations for he has seemed to find his groove right away instead of taking a few seasons. On top of that he's playing acceptable defense which is uncommon for a shooter.

And to add to that - he is not even close to hitting a rookie wall, just excelling with his situation. And he is 20 by the way.

Additionally, he has been playing in games with ONLY three players on the bench. 2.0 - he is for real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users