• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:52 PM

Eric Gordon had 41, and held Westbrook to 11 on 4-13 shooting.

He did it on 12-19 shooting as well.. Only 19 shot attempts? Wow.

Thornton had 34. But was outshined by Durant who had 46. (Durant had 26 free throw attempts, ouch >.<)

So Gordon and Thornton combined for 75 as they put the Clippers on their back for the win.

By the way, going into this game: Marcus Camby, Zach Randolph, Baron Davis, Chris Kaman, Mike Taylor, Brian Skinner, and Jason Hart were all injured. Brian Skinner wasn't injured against the Lakers but he caught the flu and didn't even show up for the game tonight.

Now keep that all in mind- and all of a sudden, Mardy Collins strains his calf. Uh oh.. 7 players left. So Jason Hart has to come in, INJURED AND ALL, and help play. And yet the Clippers were able to ride Gordon and Thornton for the win.

It was such a scary game.. Players were playing with foul trouble like crazy because there simply was no one on the bench to come in and give them a rest.

DeAndre had his 5th foul in the 3rd quarter LOL.

Anyways I'm glad we got the win.. And Gordon shattered records tonight. The highest point total ever scored by a Clipper rookie (beating 39 from Al Thornton last year), highest point total of ANY rookie this year, and the highest point total by any Clipper this year. The kid was absolutely unstoppable.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:54 PM

Haha dang, I didnt even know it was that good of a game. I just say that the Clippers beat the Thunder and thought nothing more of it. Impressive performance by the rook.

#3 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:58 PM

I knew it was going to be awesome, it was the youth movement.

Thornton vs Durant

Gordon vs Westbrook

And DeAndre vs Wilcox but apparently Wilcox was injured and DeAndre was in very bad foul trouble...
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,873 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:46 PM

41 is nice, but do it against a team other than the Thunder.

#5 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:50 PM

good job Gordon
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,805 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:53 PM

i knew watching this guy in college that he was going to be something special...didn't think he'd pick it up this quick though...congrats to him, and i hope he can keep it up once people start taking notice

Posted Image

#7 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:57 PM

I came prepared for this. :dance1:

Westbrook is supposed to be a great defender, he was known this year as a rookie for his defense. He got absolutely torched and not only did Gordon score all over him, he made some incredible plays (drive and kick, penetrate and dish)

This coming from the guy praising Bynum's efforts over the Clippers 3rd and 5th string centers. (I have no bad words against Bynum, but as I say, do unto one side what you do to the other. If you can praise Bynum for what he did, you can praise Gordon for what he did.)

Just like with Bynum, this game has a huge effect for Gordon. His first 40+ point game and it's only the first 2 months that he's been starting. Not to mention the records he broke.

Oh and by the way guys, he was a true proffessional. He didn't even care that he broke records- he was just happy for the win. Just like Tim Duncan- he holds his same facial expression no matter how well he does. He actually looked sad when they were going to interview him, he acts like he can do this every day. Very well done by the kid.

#8 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:59 PM

Eric Gordon is one hell of a player, always knew he would be this good but I never thought this soon.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:00 AM

Is he AI and Monte Ellis 2.0?

a SG stuck in a PG's body

Edited by MDI, January 24, 2009 - 12:01 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 fido

fido

• 11,873 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:03 AM

I praised Bynum's work and then promptly added that to be truly impressive he has to do it with both consistency and against a team with a post presence.

Yes, 41 is great, but you have got to start taking a long look at your team and realize that numbers like this are fool's gold.

I appreciate the positive thing, but seriously sometimes you have to acknowledge the Clippers for what they are - a flawed team (injured or not).

Surely its great for his confidence, but the true test of his skill and what he can do with it won't be abloe to be properly assessed until he plays with a team that has other options. For Pete's sake, Von Wafer is tearing it up in Houston for the same reason Gordon is right now - a lack of go-to options.

#11 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:08 AM

Uh, its not just one game, hes been tearing it up ever since he became a starter, averaging 16.8 ppg. Dude is going to be a star sooner or later.

Edited by LaLa, January 24, 2009 - 12:09 AM.

Posted Image

#12 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:18 AM

I praised Bynum's work and then promptly added that to be truly impressive he has to do it with both consistency and against a team with a post presence.

Yes, 41 is great, but you have got to start taking a long look at your team and realize that numbers like this are fool's gold.

I appreciate the positive thing, but seriously sometimes you have to acknowledge the Clippers for what they are - a flawed team (injured or not).

Surely its great for his confidence, but the true test of his skill and what he can do with it won't be abloe to be properly assessed until he plays with a team that has other options. For Pete's sake, Von Wafer is tearing it up in Houston for the same reason Gordon is right now - a lack of go-to options.

How can you take every single post about the Clippers, and direct them from a positive note to "acknowledging the Clippers for what they are - a flawed team"?

Well they're MY flawed team, if they're even that.

41 points on 19 shooting is 41 points. Simple as that. Any 20 year old that can score 41 on NBA competition is impressive enough. Especially if he did it in a manner that put his team on his back to win the game.

And this team is nowhere near done. They're building chemistry for next year. Did you see the team that competed with your Lakers? That was our BENCH. Yes, our 3rd and 4th and even 5th stringers. We had no point guards (except Mardy Collins, who is our 4th string point guard only when he needs to be). Our only starters were Thornton and Gordon. We haven't seen this team healthy yet and yet we call them flawed.

I'm positive because I can see the future of the team right now. When we were healthy, our main concern was our BENCH. Remember in my other post, I showed you that in our 3 game winning streak our bench had 4 points, 10 points, and 4 points respectively? Doesn't that show you something? Every time our bench came in the game I cringed. Well, I won't do that anymore, with how well Novak has stepped up, how well Mardy has stepped up, and how well DeAndre Jordan has developed. Our bench is giving legit NBA teams some trouble right now, while 3 (arguably 4) of our starters are injured.

And lastly, lack of go to options. So I presume Baron Davis, Zach Randolph, and Al Thornton aren't go-to options? Didn't you see my last post? Gordon averaged something like 22 points per game in the 11 games with Randolph, Baron, and Al in the lineup. Is that not impressive enough? He then proceded to score 32 and 31 in back to back games, and that's for your consistency request.

#13 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for those who give him props by the way. Sorry for my "battle" with fido.. I saw it coming though :)

http://www.nba.com/p...game_stats.html

^fido, feast your eyes on Gordon's consistency. Look at his game by game stats if you wish. (The 41 point game isn't up there yet)

EDIT: And Von Wafer looked impressive against the Lakers when I watched him. He looked like he would be a go to guy anyway man.

Same with Gordon, fido I believe with all my heart that you should watch a Clipper game and see what I mean. You can see the talent all over Gordon.. How he drives, he's so quick and strong, good at getting to the line, and makes some UNBELIEVABLE 3's. I mean some cold hard bombs man.

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 24, 2009 - 12:23 AM.

#14 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:28 AM

Props, I really liked Thorntons game coming into this season, a skilled athlete, I even saw some of this game earlier. Gordon truly impressed, have him on one of my teams. The clippers have a couple of good young swing men to count on for years to come.

#15 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:29 AM

On the subject on the Clippers, I think, if they're fully healthy (Baron, Zach, Kaman, Camby have been hampered with injuries all year long), they can make a run for the playoffs next season. That 3 big man rotation should be deadly and along with Baron, Gordon, and Thorton, watch out. All they need is a new head coach, never have been a fan of coach Dunleavy.
Posted Image

#16 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:33 AM

clipper fans can say the same about bynum.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#17 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:34 AM

True that true that.

I think Baron, Gordon, Thornton, Camby, and Randolph, with Kaman and the guys you saw at the Laker game 2 days ago coming off the bench for those 5 will be a very formidable team.

BUT- That's if they (the starting 5) play as hard as the players did against the Lakers.

I'm starting to see this "bench" unit for the Clippers, the ones that are playing now instead of the injured stars, play as a more collective unit, they're playing harder and with more heart and hustle (with the exception of Camby and Zach Randolph, who also play with that same effort).

I hope Baron Davis, Chris Kaman, and the others learn from the Clipper bench and their energy. If they do I can see them making some noise in the playoffs. But if they don't, it could end up being a disaster.

#18 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 12:36 AM

clipper fans can say the same about bynum.

True but the fact is we didn't. We all acknowledged that Bynum is very talented, and although it was our 3rd and 5th string they're in the NBA for a reason. Besides, putting up 42 points, even staged, is still pretty hard to do. Putting up that many shots and working hard to get the ball is easier said than done.

If Bynum has a good game against the Spurs I don't think anyone can say anything.

#19 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 24, 2009 - 03:09 AM

LOL look, I'm just glad they won the game, 10th I think? That 4 starters just hurry back....

#20 fido

fido

• 11,873 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 11:56 AM

They absolutely can say that about Bynum - and it would be the honest truth. Andrew had his game(s) within the team concept and the team has kept winning. Surely the Clippers unfortunate health isn't Gordon' fault, but I think its absurd to be freaking out and heaping all these "next great thing" kind of accolades on a kid that hasn't shown that he can do this either over the long haul or while the team is winning / healthy.

Maybe its how I'm saying it, but my point seems to be lost.

If Gordon continues to do this with the full complement of options on the Clippers (when they finally get healthy) it will far more impressive than doing it this way. You do understand that with all the guys back on the Clipeprs Gordon's touches will go down and likely his production. My emphasis is on what he does when that occurs. Certainly less touches mean less point production. But what I'm saying is that if he does anything close to this over the course of a long stretch of time (not 11 games with an in and out lineup) that will be truly impressive.

Right now, its like playing schoolyard basketball with one good player on the team. Sure everyone else is playing, but its obvious that the one guy will have a big game all the time. That's all the team has. So defensively you let that guy go off and make the others beat you.

When everyone slowly rolls back into the lineup - can Gordon keep this up? Nobody knows. YOu can be positive negative or anything, but the fact remains that nobody can get a hold of his talent level until its within the team context.

Is it just that I'm being unclear?

I felt the same way about Kobe when he was the lone gunman on the Lakers. Yeah he led the league in scoring - great. But meanwhile the team was spiraling. When the team came back, he still got numbers but it took him a long time to get back into the team concept. Once he got into that, then the numbers became impressive as he maintained his level but integrated it within the team concept.

Its the same reason Pau's numbers are endlessly impressive too.

I'm all about how good to great players mix with a team - not how they fill up a box score when there's no other option but to do that.

If given tons of touches, no pressure for winning or losing or no way to learn how to play with a team, there are 100 NBA players that can pull down the numbers Gordon is. (Hence the Wafer reference. Sure his touches will go down too when/if the Rockets get healthy. If he keeps up the activity and efficiency once that happens, then it would be impressive. Until then its nothing spectacular, its a kid scoring - woohoo)

I know that in a bleak season where its pretty much decided that the Clippers are out of the playoff race that Clipper fans have to look fro something to latch onto. All I'm asking is that while you get enamored with the individual game that you keep in mind that the main goal is for the team to develop - not one guy to have 30 a night while the team tanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users