27 replies to this topic

#1 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 580 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:07 AM

Ok i think the MVP award is a very shady award given out. It seems like the definition of the MVP changes every year which makes it seem like a popularity contest. Kobe bryant in my opinion should have about 3 league MVP awards (maybe).

My argument is this how does steve nash with back to back mvp award when he played with 2 allstars at the time(shawn marion already an allstar before nash came and Amare) he also had other talented players around him the sixth man of the year and others

I am not a nash hater i am just saying espn the media in my opinion tries to find a way not to give the award to Kobe.

People say kobe will not win MVP This year because of the lakers talent level. Lets break it down Pau has been to 1 allstar game lamar is always a borderline allstar and bynum is still getting better will probably be an allstar in the future.

Even with that kobe still puts up MVP numbers

Kobe definity got robbed in 2002-2003 he averaged 30 pts 6.9reb 5.9assist 2steals .8blk team won he had 9 straight games of 40 plus includng 12 plus over 35 in a row
That team won 50 games but duncan gets the mvp award that year

He might have got robbed in 2005-2006 the season he scored 81

This year the league will give the award to lebron mainly because he is the "qolden child"
Although the cavs talent isnt better than the lakers here is some food for thought ( wallace has been to allstar games more than pau Big Z has been to the allstar game twice i believe).

Do you guys think that the league redifines the MVP Award too much

#2 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:10 AM

Dude stop making threads.

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:18 AM

The league doesn't define the MVP award, the writers do.

The NBA itself has nothing to do with the selection of the MVP. There's no conspiracy or plot to destroy anyone. The MVP race is about talent and an equal level of popularity amongst the sports journalism world.

This year the MVP could go to Howard, James or Bryant - and frankly at this moment it would be hard to argue with any of those 3 taking home the award.

In the end the MVP means nothing - its championships that matter.

You can win 10 MVP awards, but if a player retires without a ring in their collection most would consider their career a disappointment.

#4 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:30 AM

In order to be the MVP, you have to be on a top team.

In order to have a top team, you have to have good teammates.

Once you get those good teammates, people then claim you have too much help to be MVP.

Without the help, how can you be a top team?

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:35 AM

It is the league's most subjective and ridiculous award.

#6 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:44 AM

The league doesn't define the MVP award, the writers do.

The NBA itself has nothing to do with the selection of the MVP. There's no conspiracy or plot to destroy anyone. The MVP race is about talent and an equal level of popularity amongst the sports journalism world.

This year the MVP could go to Howard, James or Bryant - and frankly at this moment it would be hard to argue with any of those 3 taking home the award.

In the end the MVP means nothing - its championships that matter.

You can win 10 MVP awards, but if a player retires without a ring in their collection most would consider their career a disappointment.

Bingo.

If it looks like a LeBron lovefest... it must...

Also, I think the team with the best record gets the MVP (maybe with the exception of Boston "IF" they do).

#7 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 580 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Dude stop making threads.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO VIEW MY THREAD DONT READ IT !! YOU ACTUALLY WASTED YOUR TIME WRITING THAT WHEN YOU KNOW I NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO YOU ANYWAY

#8 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 23, 2009 - 12:31 PM

IF YOU DONT WANT TO VIEW MY THREAD DONT READ IT !! YOU ACTUALLY WASTED YOUR TIME WRITING THAT WHEN YOU KNOW I NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO YOU ANYWAY

Yes I sure wasted my time, all 60 seconds it took reading and replying. As if I spent any significant amount of time on this. There goes a minute out of my day. :nervous:

#9 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 12:56 PM

Not hypocritical. Kobe didn't win it with a bad record. Nash won it with good teammates. Kobe just won it with great teammates. How is the league hating on him. Lebron's record now is the same as Kobe's basically, but almost all his stats are better than Kobe's in every way.

#10 Vaporize

Vaporize

Sixth Man

• 2,939 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:01 PM

Only way I see Kobe winning it this year is with Lakers having the best record in the NBA with about 65-70 wins. The closest team should be a couple of games behind.

Posted Image

#11 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:01 PM

it is all about a season as a whole

look at last season it was easily KG early then wait it was chris paul oh wait the whole time it was kobe

you see for all we know the cavs and magic could tail off significantly the hornets can surge and chris paul is holding an MVP press conference

last year showed that its who is playing the most spectacular ball in march on who gets it

now cleveland and orlando have no potential they are playing at their ceilings and its obvious they have played no better than where they are at now

lakers
hornets
spurs

have much more potential to grow do they grow who knows possibly not but those teams are playing average to below average basketball to their talent level and are still right behind the other supposed contenders

my point is the MVP race is not over for all we know chris paul or dwight could be holdin that trophy up when its all said and done

talking about it now is useless especially when we have more important things on our mind
Posted Image

#12 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 23, 2009 - 02:14 PM

Not hypocritical. Kobe didn't win it with a bad record. Nash won it with good teammates. Kobe just won it with great teammates. How is the league hating on him. Lebron's record now is the same as Kobe's basically, but almost all his stats are better than Kobe's in every way.

Here is how ESPN hates - remember, MEDIA award:

From the recap from last night:

"Big men take up Kobe's slack as Lakers cruise by Wizards"

WTF... If it was LeBron it would be:

"LeBron's leadership benefits bench production in win over Wizards"

#13 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:52 PM

one thing i think that is lost among the media ( and us fans) is that Kobe's teamates arent as good as I feel they are potrayed. I mean he has a very good collection of teammates but I think being on the Lakers automatically make you feel like the player is a "star", for example the first half-season that Smush was here, the national media made him a household name. Gasol is our all-star, so we have two. Then you take D-fish, our sturdiest vet. with a clutch gene and a good shooter in this league. We all know how good Ariza and Farmar and LO and crew are and we know that Bynum is the key to the Lakers, but what makes us better than any other team thats contending for a title.
Boston has the big three plus rondo and perkins, house, powe, big baby,tony allen, and scalabrine. no member of thier team is useless.
Orlando is stacked, besides the starters, there's reddick, cookie and Pietrus-8 players that will hurt you and add Bogans for another element of toughness, bTW Pietrus is to them was LO is to us, oh yeah Battie can still play.
Then there's the Cavs, the alleged one man show, but when you have a SUPERSTAR,then you have a deadly frontline with POWER,SKILL, and EXPERIENCE thats a playoff team. Now add guys like Delonte West(better than Jordan F. at this point), Mo Williams(nuff said), and Boobie Gibson, thats he requisite for a contender. Plus he has Sasha who's as inconsitent as some of our shooters, oh yeah Hickson is a good rookie.
SUNS- Shaq,Amare, Nash, J. Rich, Barnes, Barbosa, Hill, Lopez(nuff said)

Last example and its a credit to Phil and Mitch more so than anyone : THE CLIPPERS
Baron, Zach, Camby, Kaman, Thorton, Gordon, Novak, Jordan...i mean lets be serious these guys are ballers, the team is just put together badly and the coaching isnt too good, plus a number of injuries.

The bottom line is this every team has at least 10 players on thier team that can ball, the only difference with us is we Have the best player and Coach and owner in the Game, so people let us appreciate Kobe,Phil,Mitch, and Jerry when we look at the next live Laker telecast
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#14 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 23, 2009 - 07:16 PM

Shaq with only 1 MVP killed it's credibility, and Malone over MJ...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#15 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 23, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Newsflash, the Cavs record isn't significantly worse than ours, so due to the fact that LeBron is winning with inferior talent (I know some here will come and try to say that Pau Gasol = Ilguaskus, Bynum = Wallace, etc, LMAO!), he's the de facto choice for MVP.

To me, due to Kobe's new found willingness to pass, he should be MVP. I don't like LeBron chucking up shots. I liked it when he limited his FGA, and passed more.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#16 Flash

Flash

Junior

• 283 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 08:37 PM

Please. You are the only one that constantly post that people say Pau Gasol = Z, Bynum = Wallace bull[expletive]s.
I have never seen anyone else that thinks that.

#17 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 23, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yes I sure wasted my time, all 60 seconds it took reading and replying. As if I spent any significant amount of time on this. There goes a minute out of my day. :nervous:

Dude, just shut up and get out of the thread. If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything.

The MVP award usually goes to the best player on the best team, not the best player in the NBA.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#18 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:43 PM

Here is how ESPN hates - remember, MEDIA award:

From the recap from last night:

WTF... If it was LeBron it would be:

Game recap of Cavs Vs. Warriors game: LeBron rebounds from missed free throws to crush Warriors at buzzer

#19 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Game recap of Cavs Vs. Warriors game: LeBron rebounds from missed free throws to crush Warriors at buzzer

I think it means the Warriors were crushed with the last second loss, their hearts were torn, and not Lebron destroyed em or anything.

#20 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:26 AM

Please. You are the only one that constantly post that people say Pau Gasol = Z, Bynum = Wallace bull[expletive]s.
I have never seen anyone else that thinks that.

I've heard 3-4 people say Lebron's crew = Kobe's crew. I know, it's unbelievably ignorant assessment, but it's happened a lot.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users