• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2009 - 12:55 PM

Watch Bynum in transition. He's still not at peak conditioning, stamina or endurance for the full 82+ season. He's a little sluggish and slow but once he gets up to speed, he can cover the distance pretty quickly. His defense suffers sometimes late in the game because he's fatigued, even when he doesn't realize it.

All of that is to be expected.

He's going to look good for stretches this year and suck butt for others. If Phil can manage and monitor his minutes effectively, we can get some more really good starts while coasting at the end.

Biggest improvement? Bynum 1-on-1 ten feet in is really, REALLY hard to guard.

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:05 PM

bynum has shown a potential that i don't think oden can touch and is on par with dwight

keep in mind dwight is about 2 years older than drew

dwight is easily 2 years ahead in conditioning and defense and rebounding but who is ahead on the offensive side of the ball

its a legitimate question

dwight is the guy while bynum has kobe and gasol

who really is ahead offensively IMO skill wise the only center who is better than drew offensively is yao other wise noone touches him unless you consider timmy a center then well there is no comparison
Posted Image

#23 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:26 PM

Pau, Timmy, Shaq, Yao. Just off the top of my head.

When Aldridge slides down to the 5, he's still more skilled.

Bynum has 1 tool that you can't teach or learn...length.

That's why he is still so poor at getting good post position and boxing out and yet can gobble up double-digit rebounds.

Once he puts it all together, he's going to be a nightmare to guard. Right now, he's 30% talent, 70% natural gifts.

#24 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Consistency is key.

+1

zombies.jpg

#25 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:29 PM

While impressive to rack up 42 points at the NBA level as a 3rd option, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with saying he's offensively better than Dwight. He scored 42 against a very weak, injury-filled team. With Kaman and Camby there, I'm sure it would have been a different story. Dwight does it night in and night out on BOTH sides of the court. While Bynum had 42, you also have to look at the other end where some 3rd string bench player had a great night on offense against Bynum. I'm sure if Dwight put in less effort on defense, it would improve his scoring.

Edited by daco_inc, January 23, 2009 - 01:30 PM.

#26 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:30 PM

Consistency is key.

Totally agree.... Let me add another sentence.

Patience in the fans!!!

His growth is not a straight line but more like a good stock that goes up and down on an upward arc.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#27 Ethdude

Ethdude

Rookie

• 63 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Fan Since:1991- Jordan almost made me cry that year.

Posted January 23, 2009 - 02:14 PM

Keep it up kid.

Would anyone else agree that the Lakers love to sandbag? Example hopefully being LO destroying teams come playoff time?(he better :D)
The best sports franchise in the world.

#28 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

God

• 3,749 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 23, 2009 - 02:34 PM

bynum is showing up
he needs to keep it up

#29 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:07 PM

While impressive to rack up 42 points at the NBA level as a 3rd option, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with saying he's offensively better than Dwight. He scored 42 against a very weak, injury-filled team. With Kaman and Camby there, I'm sure it would have been a different story. Dwight does it night in and night out on BOTH sides of the court. While Bynum had 42, you also have to look at the other end where some 3rd string bench player had a great night on offense against Bynum. I'm sure if Dwight put in less effort on defense, it would improve his scoring.

As for offensive skills, he IS ahead of DH...DH is an Amare clone, plain and simple. Lots of brawn, not much skill.

Bynum has advanced post moves in his arsenal and a soft touch on his shot.

Offensively, as far as SKILLS (not production), Bynum is light years ahead of DH...and that's NOT an overstatement.

#30 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:14 PM

As for offensive skills, he IS ahead of DH...DH is an Amare clone, plain and simple. Lots of brawn, not much skill.

Offensively, as far as SKILLS (not production), Bynum is light years ahead of DH...and that's NOT an overstatement.

i have to agree, bynum has a better offensive arsenal than dwight, shooting and footwork as well, but dwight is better at getting into position for rebounds ... hence the offensive rebounds, putbacks, and closer shot attempts
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#31 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:31 PM

DH made great strides this summer. Last year Bynum held his own with Howard in LA but not this year. Still Howard like someone mentioned has a lower ceiling and Bynum still has not mastered his body/skill fully as of yet. But the blueprint is there of a very good Center who should pass Howard in the long run. Howard played all of HS while Bynum's playing time was limited in High School and less playing time in the Pros. Its only a matter of time.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#32 Smart Alex

Smart Alex

Most Obsessed Megan Fox

• 5,451 posts
  • Name:Alex.
  • Fan Since:Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted January 23, 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hopefully Drew can keep his consisting through the season and the playoffs.

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences,
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon,
for each day to have a new and different sun."

#33 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted January 23, 2009 - 04:14 PM

keep it up big fella..keep it up...
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#34 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Amare is actually more skilled than Dwight and Bynum, the only thing is he isnt as strong or long, but that guy is probably the best offensive POWER Foward, so Dirk doesnt count. Amare has a jumper comparable to KG's or Gasol's.Plus he has a couple of go to post moves and counters,plus he is athletic so he can run the lane and get more dunks than Bynum but not more than Dwight, still I give Amare the offensive edge over most big men, the exception being Yao and Dirk...on par with Aldrige and Bosh is close to that level also
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#35 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 24, 2009 - 02:52 AM

Let's just get the count going: Consistency +2 Looking for +3.

#36 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2009 - 03:24 AM

Amare is actually more skilled than Dwight and Bynum, the only thing is he isnt as strong or long, but that guy is probably the best offensive POWER Foward, so Dirk doesnt count. Amare has a jumper comparable to KG's or Gasol's.Plus he has a couple of go to post moves and counters,plus he is athletic so he can run the lane and get more dunks than Bynum but not more than Dwight, still I give Amare the offensive edge over most big men, the exception being Yao and Dirk...on par with Aldrige and Bosh is close to that level also

Joking right?

Amare that plays with Nash in PHO?

It's official. You have never watched a NBA basketball game in your entire life... (j/k...sorta)

#37 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 24, 2009 - 11:37 AM

He's not back just because he's scoring. The Bynum I remember from last year used to soar so high for rebounds that teams started sending multiple guys after the ball when it was just him there so he wouldn't get the rebound. His presence was actually being felt.

His presence can't just be felt scoring the ball. Teams won't actually FEAR us until he becomes intimidating on defense.
Basketball Reasons...

#38 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted January 24, 2009 - 11:42 AM

Again, do this consistently against teams witha bona fide post presence and it'll be impressive. Its nice to get those games for confidence sake, but in the grandscheme of things its how he performs against other strong post players that will tell everyone how far he's come or where he is in his game.

#39 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted January 24, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Not sold yet. The Clipper game was kind of a joke. I mean, DeAndre Jordan, Brian Skinner and Cheikh Samb? He should score 40 against those guys.

#40 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 25, 2009 - 06:23 PM

Great game against San Antonio today!

4-10 looks bad, but I love the 7-8 free throws stat.

Alongside that, 15 points and 11 boards. Yeah, Bynum is back, fellas.

Also, Bynum is averaging 19.9 points per game in his last 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users