Photo

Nets May Want Mike Miller, Not Larry Hughes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,534 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 22, 2009 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image

The Nets have begun shopping around for an upgrade at small forward, but Larry Hughes -- a name they've discussed lately -- isn't someone they consider a particularly good option. He's more like a last resort. The man the Nets have set their sights on (since the start of the week, anyway) is Mike Miller, who has been a washout since arriving in Minneapolis, according to an NBA general manager familiar with the discussions. One snag, perhaps two: The Timberwolves are not in any rush to move the 28-year-old wing, even though Miller averages fewer than eight shots in 30 minutes per game, so they're playing hardball.

Mike Miller makes $9 million this season and $9.7 million the next. The best offer the Nets can make is a deal involving a player with a one-year contract, such as Stromile Swift, just to help the Wolves get Miller -- their second-highest-paid player -- off the cap next season.

According to team officials, there is very little enthusiasm for Hughes, but the Nets might revisit the one-for-one exchange involving Bobby Simmons down the road if nothing better comes along. They believe that Hughes would help them win more games, but he will clog up $3 million more in cap space next year, and he is widely known around the league as a chemistry assassin.

The Nets did their due diligence on Hughes weeks ago, and one instance on March 4 was widely interpreted as telling: Three weeks after he was traded from Cleveland to Chicago, the 11th-year vet essentially said that he'd rather get shots with the Bulls than play in the NBA Finals for the Cavs, as he did the year before.

http://www.nj.com/ne...ghes_among.html

#2 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,668 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 22, 2009 - 06:53 PM

mike miller is in a SLUMP

i'm not sure if it's just him or if it's minny, but somethings not working out. maybe a new team and new role is exactly what he needs

2div

#3 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:01 PM

Miller is on a down year, while Hughes still blows.
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#4 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,423 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:42 PM

Shoot I'd take Miller anyday than Hughes.

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:47 AM

Mike Miller on a team like the Lakers with big guys down low to open up outside shots would be deadly. Though he's no stopper he also plays tough defense and isn't afraid to mix things up.

He's in a slump because defenses can focus on him in Minnesota. There's really nobody else (and no Jefferson doesn't require doubles all the time) to worry about, so you can stay at home on Miller and stifle his shooting with no serious repercussions.

If there was any way possible to deal Radmanovic, Mihm and one more for Miller I'd do it in a heartbeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users