#1 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted January 22, 2009 - 02:13 AM

http://www.insidesocal.com/clippers/

Advice for Mr. Jordan

By Ramona Shelburne on January 21, 2009 11:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | ShareThis

Clippers rookie DeAndre Jordan said after his breakout 23-point, 12-rebound game against the Lakers whether he knew he had that kind of performance in him.

``I'm just as surprised as you all,'' he said with a laugh.

Not everyone was so blase.

Jordan's monster dunks even seem to have caught the eye of the league's reigning MVP.

``He has a lot of talent man,'' Kobe Bryant said after the game. ``He's just got to keep on working hard to improve the other aspects of his game, shooting in particular. He's got a lot of potential.''
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#2 Mega Man

Mega Man

Mega Buster

• 415 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 22, 2009 - 02:40 AM

big body, super athletic, blocking shots and rebounding well... like kobe said, with some discipline and effort he could be huge for the clips.

Posted Image

#3 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted January 22, 2009 - 05:27 AM

At some points he was a possible late lottery-mid 1st round pick, and he really slipped. I still think he has that kind of potential, and never understood why he fell so far.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#4 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted January 22, 2009 - 10:35 AM

He got drafted late because he seemed to be seen as a player who wouldn't work hard.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#5 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 22, 2009 - 10:45 AM

He got drafted late because he seemed to be seen as a player who wouldn't work hard.

Agreed.

Which is really ironic because this kid works HARD. He has guts and alot of heart. In the beginning of the season he was on the inactive list (maybe the first 25 games?)

He said he's do ANYTHING to get out there and play, even sweep the floors. That doesn't sound like a lazy guy to me.

He's been getting in shape, I really like his progress.

EDIT: According to ESPN, Bynum had some nice things to say too:

Said Bynum of Jordan: "I don't think I picked on him. I think he was picking on us, the way he was dunking the ball out there."

http://sports.espn.g...ameId=290121012

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 22, 2009 - 11:08 AM.

I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:12 AM

Unfortunately dunking won't get you a long career in the NBA.

it doesn't hurt that there was little to no defense on the weak side or off of quick screen rolls at the free throw line. if the Lakers paid normal attention to him, that ridiculous dunk-fest wouldn't have happened.

The kid has a long way to go.

Post moves would help out a ton. I'm never that impressed by a 7' + guy who can dunk. If he couldn't dunk there would be something vitally wrong.

#7 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:28 AM

Agreed.

Which is really ironic because this kid works HARD. He has guts and alot of heart. In the beginning of the season he was on the inactive list (maybe the first 25 games?)

He said he's do ANYTHING to get out there and play, even sweep the floors. That doesn't sound like a lazy guy to me.

He's been getting in shape, I really like his progress.

Yep, but perhaps he is motivated by a future contract. He saw Bynum's contract and he said "give me the broom". I think Bynum truly wants to be a great player and the contract is not why is game has dropped somewhat this year.. there are other reasons. Jordan is signed for 3 years which is good for the clips.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#8 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:44 AM

Unfortunately dunking won't get you a long career in the NBA.

it doesn't hurt that there was little to no defense on the weak side or off of quick screen rolls at the free throw line. if the Lakers paid normal attention to him, that ridiculous dunk-fest wouldn't have happened.

The kid has a long way to go.

Post moves would help out a ton. I'm never that impressed by a 7' + guy who can dunk. If he couldn't dunk there would be something vitally wrong.

It does help though man... If only Kaman dunked like DeAndre. Kaman usually goes up soft which comes back to bite him in the a**. But Lakers DID pay normal attention to DeAndre. He just ran amazing pick and rolls that caught the Lakers off guard, outworked them on the boards SOMETIMES to get put back dunks, and had some Dwight Howard like dunks out there.

Bynum did too. But if you are gona knock down a guy who has been on the inactive list until Kaman and Randolph went down, and this is his second ever game with more than 10+ minutes, why give Bynum props for tonight?

Keep it consistent man. Bynum's been in the league for 4 years. DeAndre was within 5 points of Bynum's career high (before yesterday). Not to mention, if you want to say that dunking doesn't impress you, I could combat that and say that scoring on the Clippers' 3rd string CENTER Brian Skinner (not 3rd string big. I mean 3rd string CENTER. in terms of bigs, he's behind Camby, Kaman, and Randolph, so he's actually 4th string). And their 6th string big (4th string center) in DeAndre Jordan. Who actually was the raw 35th pick who still hasn't learned how to rotate well in the NBA just like you said.

That stuff comes with time. Bynum wasn't an elite defender OR shooter his rookie year. Neither was Dwight Howard (although Howard was way ahead of Bynum and Jordan combined his rookie year).

Now, because I have no bias and keep it consistent, when I praised DeAndre for his performance tonight, I also praised Andrew Bynum. Do to one side what you do to the other.

#9 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 22, 2009 - 11:54 AM

By the way, his defense has improved- he's learning from Marcus Camby. He has a standing reach of 9.5 feet which is insane- he can use it to become a great defender. You can tell sometimes he's still an inexperienced kid- he jumps for pump fakes and even kicks his feet up like a kid sometimes :P

But Bynum's 42 wasn't because of DeAndre tonight. He tried hard. But Skinner and DeAndre both shared the responsibility, and I feel that both were too slow on rotations to handle it.

But that's why I love having Camby on the team. He knows all that stuff, he's great on defense and great with rotations. He'll show DeAndre what his mistakes were and he will only get better.

That being said fido, I do agree with you that he has a long ways to go. And that's understandable for a project center isn't it?

But, one thing you must agree with, is that his progression is looking very good. I don't care what you say, 11-12 (10 dunks) on the best team in the NBA is impressive, even for Dwight Howard. 10 dunks??

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 22, 2009 - 11:57 AM.

#10 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 22, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Jordan is still very raw - but he had a great game and one that should boost his confidence.

One thing that makes great players is consistency. Let's see if he can continue to grow consistently and not be a one time deal because of weak Lakers defense. No doubt he has some Dwight-esque athleticism.

#11 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 23, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Dwight-esque athleticism.

agreed...so does Mcgee of the Wizards, that guy has springs
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#12 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 23, 2009 - 11:31 PM

this guy is a sick freak of an athlete. But he also has a reputation of being a lazy bum.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#13 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:50 PM

Jordan gave some love right back at Kobe:

It was so crazy to be playing against Kobe and Derek Fisher. I used to watch and look up to those guys when I was in elementary school! Those are the legendary players I always watched and tried to learn from, and it's a really exciting for me to be able to go out there and compete against them. I felt like I did a good job. I relaxed, got out there and played my own game. Even though it was a career night for me, the highlight of the whole night for me was after the game. Kobe congratulated me on having such a good game. He said, "You need to keep up the work because you are going to be a very good player one day." I couldn't believe I was hearing that from the best player in the NBA. To be honest, Kobe's comments were even more meaningful to me than my performance.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

#14 ez24

ez24

Back To Back?

• 1,506 posts
  • Fan Since:99-00 Brothers would watch them play and I followed
  • Fav. Laker:Trevor Ariza, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:57 PM

^ sweet im officially a fan of his lol
Im still a Trevor Ariza Fan, Thanks For The Championship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users