the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:24 PM

Crazy stuff going down this afternoon:

Shocker: Fox Sports Radio, LA Local Shows Merge

As foreshadowed by my earlier post today, there were some major changes and deletions made at Fox Sports Radio and L.A. sports radio station KLAC-AM today. Numerous on-air personalities at FSR were let go, replaced by KLAC talent who will now be syndicated nationally.

Chris Myers SbB Girl Erin

(Apparently Myers’ own co-host candidate, SbB Girl Erin, was shot down)

Some of the changes confirmed by an industry source:

FSR’s Craig Shemon and James Washington Show (9a-noon ET) show has been dropped. Dan Patrick’s Show will fill the void, now syndicated by Premiere Networks.

FSR’s Andrew Siciliano and Krystal Fernandez Show (7p-10p ET) show has been dropped. Show will be replaced by KLAC’s “PMS” Show (Petros Papadakis and Matt “Money” Smith)

KLAC’s Steve Hartman and Vic Jacobs, formerly the station’s “Loose Cannons”, will now co-host national FSR show with Chris Myers from 3-7p ET. Myers’ former co-host, Sean Farnham, moves to FSR weekends. Mychal Thompson, part of the Loose Cannons L.A. show, has been dropped.

FSR’s Overnight show with Ben Maller has also been dropped.

Now word yet on the shows by J.T. The Brick and Steve Czaban but it appears they will remain intact for now.

Pretty radical changes by Clear Channel’s FSR syndicator, Premiere Networks in Los Angeles.

So who was behind the changes?

FSR had previously been unable to get much clearance for its network shows on local L.A. station (and CC-owned) KLAC, so it appears that Clear Channel corporate stepped in and forced the merger - and subsequent clearance. Since the “PMS” and “Loose Cannons” shows were very SoCal-centric, it will be very interesting to see how they do nationally.

Charlie Rahilly, a former L.A. CC exec, is now running Premiere and was obviously also in on the changes. The moves look good superficially for FSR, as now they’ve got shows running live in the L.A. market throughout the day. But since KLAC recently lost the Lakers, that might not be as lucrative a prospect as you think.

This shuffling is also about cost-cutting and a last, desperate stab by Fox Sports Radio at getting more clearance on local stations around the country. I have a feeling that this all may be a prelude to the eventual demise of FSR. But I hope not, since the more sports radio programming out there we have, the better.

More observations on the move:

It was sad to hear that Siciliano was let go by FSR, but it’s probably a blessing for him. He wasn’t cleared live in most major markets by legit stations, and this might lead to him getting more exposure in a subsequent gig. He’s one of the more underrated sports media talents out there. I’d love to see him get picked up by ESPN Radio, he deserves a larger platform.

Also departing Fox Sports Radio weekends is Jorge Sedano, who has a solid gig at WAXY-AM in Miami as a midday host. Watch out for Sedano, I have a feeling you’re going to be hearing (and seeing) a lot more of him in the future. He might be the breakout sports media star in 2009, and you read that here first.

The move is certainly a positive for Patrick, but he won’t pick up that many more stations as Shemon and Washington’s Show wasn’t cleared much besides Fox Sports Radio-devoted affiliates. Thank god for those SI-signed checks!

I feel bad for Papadakis, as I know he wasn’t all that interested in doing a national show, but perhaps the PMS thing will take hold around the country. Papadakis and Smith have filled in quite a bit for Jim Rome the past two years and PMS certainly has done well in the Los Angeles radio ratings since its inception. Smith is another guy like Siciliano, a real talent who deserves more notice. If you don’t know him from KLAC or Rome, you’ve probably heard his voice on NFL Network.

I’m also intrigued by the pairing of Hartman and Myers, who are both lead hosts. It’ll be interesting to see if they can co-exist. I’ve co-hosted shows with Myers in the past, and knowing his professionalism, I think they’ll get along fine. Whether that translates to a compelling show remains to be seen. I tend to doubt it, as the two guys are too similar in their tastes.

For those of you outside of Los Angeles, and the radio know for that matter, I understand this is all pretty damn complicated and largely irrelevant. But I’m a radio geek at heart - so thanks for indulging me.

LINK

#2 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:26 PM

good news and bad news :nervous:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#3 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:38 PM

meh. i don't really listen to the radio shows...but damn i saw breaking news and i thought there was a trade or something lol

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#4 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Frankly, most sports guys sound like magpies! I can't listen for more than a minute or two.

#5 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:00 PM

this is pretty crazy stuff if you listen to those guys like vic and loos cannons, i have to agree, good and bad news
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,810 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 20, 2009 - 08:00 PM

MT's been dropped?! That's horrible news! He was the perfect compliment to Hartman and VTB. :cry:

#7 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:03 AM

PMS SURVIVES!
my life will not end.

#8 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:14 AM

I don't like this at all. Now more people have to be beat down by Vic the Brick. I don't wish him on my worst enemy...even Boston fans.

#9 EchoZulu

EchoZulu

EazyRidin'

• 98 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Chuck Nevitt

Posted January 21, 2009 - 11:26 AM

Well, I think the Lakers moving to the four letter network has alot to do with this change.....

Say "bye bye" to local sports talk radio on KLAC....

So, does this mean that VTB is going to kiss every single American athlete's @ss now? :vic2:

#10 xtc

xtc

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:49 PM

VtB's relegated to doing updates for now, I think if anything they should start with a small dosage and increase as time goes by, though I'm not sure how long the national show will last. Hartman sounds nothing like himself.

#11 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:15 PM

this myers/hartman bull[expletive] is HORRIBLE. I never really liked the cannons, but this is complete garbage. it won't last.

money said nothing is changing with PMS.. got my fingers crossed.

#12 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:28 PM

PMS: "This is LA radio, and that's what you should get used to"
[expletive] yes.

#13 Kam

Kam

Basketball Immortality

• 2,455 posts
  • Name:Kam Pashai
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:30 PM

I officially LOVE PMS for throwing out that statement. WOOOOOOOW.

#14 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 21, 2009 - 05:19 PM

I officially LOVE PMS for throwing out that statement. WOOOOOOOW.

Ditto.

Props to PMS for keeping it real. :rock:

#15 DarthVicHater

DarthVicHater

Celtic Fan

• 37 posts
  • Fan Since:NEVER - GO CELTICS
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 21, 2009 - 08:56 PM

Ditto.

Props to PMS for keeping it real. :rock:

Thank you FOX - VTB is GONE. Yes he'll still do 2 updates an hour, which is fine. As long as he's not talking about the stupid bamboo or Suns color poncho, I'm good. Ding dong the brick is dead, the brick is dead.

#16 Brand New

Brand New

Good Enough

• 1,033 posts

Posted January 21, 2009 - 10:34 PM

[expletive] them. Don't listen to their new bull[expletive]. What a way to end a good show. Why do people give a [expletive] about other teams outside of LA. grrrrrrrrrrr. I'm pissed.

#17 lqv2015

lqv2015

Rookie

• 638 posts

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:03 AM

Sad news for me. The LC was the only show I listen to out here in the east. Only thing that still connects me with my SoCal roots.

I feel bad for Vic. Hope he can get a job as the Lakers mascot.

Where can I get the podcast of Hartman's show?

PMS, I can't stand. I like Petros & Money, but as a sports talk show, it's annoying as hell.

#18 GinzyVee

GinzyVee

Clutch

• 1,969 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:51 AM

so will they still have score updates and stuff? 'Cause thats my source of sports on school nights when my mom doesn't let me online late....

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,926 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2009 - 10:01 AM

Yeah I listened yesterday and that show is going to be so watered down now.

As much as Hartman drives me nuts, that's also his charm. You can tell from a quick shot yesterday that he's going to tone down his spiel a ton to appeal to a wider audience. His edge will be gone, making that show far more banal than it could ever be before.

Half of the fun of that show was the banter between the 3 guys and as good as Chris Meyer is, you get the feeling its going to be this tame little love fest trying to be a mellow middle ground for the whole country.

I'm not a big fan of the change as The Loose Cannons was not so much an institution on So Cal sports radio, but ti certainly was a comfortable tradition in the ever changing world of nationally syndicated, boring radio. it had character and a bite to it that you don't get with the blue shirt / tan pants world of corporate national radio.

#20 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted January 22, 2009 - 10:25 AM

I talked to my boy Joe Grande and he was fired too :censored: No more Tim Cates on Tony Bruno's show, FIRED and sadly our very own Isaac Lowenkron fired too....

Edited by G-Small, January 22, 2009 - 10:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users