LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:20 PM

LINK

A reliable source also told me that Lakers forward Lamar Odom (expiring this season) is another possibility in an O'Neal deal.The Lakers' Andrew Bynum has not played up to expectations this season (grabbed five rebounds combined in two recent games, isn't controlling the boards like he should) and Pau Gasol is an extremely soft big.

Odom and filler to make the salaries match (Mihm and a minimum contract?) would make some sense for both sides.
L.A. could split its 96 frontcourt minutes between three effective bigs and overpower Western opponents (with Kobe waiting in the wings to decide any game).

Odom would keep the Raptors competitive and give them a multi-talented ball-handler who can create his own shot and shots for others. The team would have the cap space to go after a couple of solid free agents this off-season, when Odom, Anthony Parker, Jorge Garbojosa and Joey Graham come off the cap.

(Just wanted to add some more personal opinion to any O'Neal/Odom scenario. The Lakers would most likely insist the Raptors take Vladimir Radmanovic and his hefty contract instead of Mihm's expiring, which might be too big of a long-term commitment for Colangelo to take on. Ditto adding Luke Walton).

Here's the problem:

1) We lose two games in a row and Odom's name gets brought up in tons of these rumors...
2) If it went through, I'm sure the $126 mil payroll next year with tax (and Ariza back) works for Dr. Buss...
3) No thanks...

I hope no one here actually thinks this would be a good trade... What a joke.

#2 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:27 PM

Of course not. O'Neal is too "fragile" :D

:offtopic: It would be very interesting to see the name O'Neal on a Lakers jersey once again lol :D

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#3 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:28 PM

No. No way.

#4 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,757 posts
  • Name:Andy

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:36 PM

Isn't he injured?..

#5 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:38 PM

No way.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 12:54 PM

At this point, I think a Odom for Marion swap is more likely.

Mihm
Walton
Odom

for

Marion
Banks

#7 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:05 PM

JO for Marion is more likely.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:09 PM

JO for Marion is more likely.

Obviously.

But if the Lakers were to be involved, it would be for Marion, not O'Neal.

#9 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I say it again:

LO's versatility is something that separates us from most teams. Right now we're struggling with injuries and he can play both PF and C. We need to keep him.
Basketball Reasons...

#10 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:16 PM

http://lakernation.c...h...c=10540&hl=

:P

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 01:17 PM

I say it again:

LO's versatility is something that separates us from most teams. Right now we're struggling with injuries and he can play both PF and C. We need to keep him.

Idk, I mean if you can get a perimeter defender like Marion, it will give the Lakers a big boost.

Bynum
Gasol
Marion
Bryant
Fisher

It takes the pressure off Kobe to guard the best player and takes the pressure off Kobe to be the best defender on the Lakers.

I think the Lakers make the trade if they were offered Marion. Thats just me though.

#12 KaPau

KaPau

Rookie

• 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Erving "Magic" Johnson

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:12 PM

Thanks but hell no thanks.

#13 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:13 PM

Look at what Odom did for us last week when we had many injured players. He played the point, small forward and power forward. And most importantly he plays his best in the NBA Playoffs.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:19 PM

only do it if i they send either kapono or parker this way

but i don't know if i would like this JO gives us a very unique big rotation and all three can be fresh by playoff time and next season we have a 20 million dollar expiring which is ridiculous

on the other hand lamar is so versatile and can handle the ball for us right now with all the injuries

unless they take vlad and give us one of the above it doesn't even cross my mind

JO and LO talent wise are equal with JO having the edge in interior defense and LO having the edge in versatility and triangle offense experience

right now i don't make that deal

now

vlad+mihm for andre miller

lets talk about that
Posted Image

#15 KaPau

KaPau

Rookie

• 68 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Erving "Magic" Johnson

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:29 PM

The moment we trade LO for a big guy they are going to run on this team, we don't need another big guy, what we need is a freaking point guard, Fisher is a legend with the lakers but he is really costing us games, his defense is not the same.

Lets be honest the only guy that any team will want is LO, and taking him out of the bench is going to kill this team, once farmar is back, this team will be more consistent

Right now they are very inconsistent the injury bug hit them at the right time, not at the end of the season when they everybody healthy, what they do need is a 3 pg rotation, trading Mihm is more reasonable than trading LO.

#16 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Idk, I mean if you can get a perimeter defender like Marion, it will give the Lakers a big boost.

Bynum
Gasol
Marion
Bryant
Fisher

It takes the pressure off Kobe to guard the best player and takes the pressure off Kobe to be the best defender on the Lakers.

I think the Lakers make the trade if they were offered Marion. Thats just me though.

You're overrating how important the perimeter defense is. We have the second best record in the league, do we really need to make a major trade? Marion is the same dude who wanted out of Phoenix because he wanted to be "the man" on another team. Why basically swap a player like Lamar who's already said that he's willing to take a pay cut to stay on the team after this season? He also showed his commitment by coming off the bench when he very easily could've been moved if he wanted to.

Team guy > Me first guy

Who would you rather have during the tough times in a deep playoff run?

Someone who will do whatever it takes to win and was actually there fighting last season or someone who might gripe about his role?

At the end of the day this is why we post on message boards instead of getting involved in the real business. You can't trade away a crucial piece to your championship puzzle to fix minor problems.

Right now the only MAJOR problems this team has is injuries and lack of aggressive rebounding from our starting center.
Basketball Reasons...

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:35 PM

i'm going to be honest here lamar is going to stay and we need to make an ariza type trade where mitch makes a deal with low risk high reward

something like mihm+whoever for earl watson or something like that

a tweak not overhaul is what is needed
Posted Image

#18 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:44 PM

Shouldn't this thread be in the rumors forum?
Basketball Reasons...

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,924 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 19, 2009 - 03:39 PM

My problem with it is that Odom has played far better than O'Neal all season long and will continue to do so as O'Neal is still not looking close to 100%.

No deal.

#20 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 19, 2009 - 03:54 PM

Not for Jermaine, but Odom does need traded. He went eight or nine consecutive games where he played like garbage for us. All some of you remember are the good games he has against a garbage opposing bench, not the two or three poor ones in between his decent games.

We have a great record. Good for us. Phoenix always had a great record in the regular season. If we are playing to win "best record in the NBA," then yes...we are in the running. I don't care about that, though.

Let's not be the old Sacramento Kings and stick with a team that doesn't get anywhere after 60 wins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users