#1 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:04 PM

HoopsWorld

Several league sources are indicating that the Miami HEAT and Toronto Raptors are in the official stages of discussing a trade that would swap out Jermaine O'Neal for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks. The only holdup at this point is whether or not JO is actually healthy. O'Neal played his first game since December on Friday (at Indiana of all places), and scored 2 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in only 17 minutes of action. Miami wants to wait a few more games—and rightfully so—to make sure he's actually healthy

Financially it sort of makes sense. Considering how much money Marion and O'Neal each make it would be nearly impossible to match salaries fairly in any trade, unless it was for each other. It also makes sense from a team needs standpoint, considering the flashes of brilliance Andrea Bargnani has shown at center lately in Toronto, and how badly Miami needs a big man.

Would Miami prefer Utah's Carlos Boozer, perhaps this summer when Marion's gigantic salary comes off the book and they can pursue the Booze in free agency? Of course, but there's no guarantee he'll be available then. O'Neal is available now, and his $23 million salary comes off the books in the summer in 2010, meaning they can still go after Chris Bosh when the time is right. If JO is healthy, keep your eye on this developing story in the next week or so.

Article

The Raptors are moving toward a significant mid-season trade that would ship Jermaine O'Neal to the Miami Heat for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks in a deal involving highly paid veterans unable to fit seamlessly into new situations.

Multiple league sources confirmed yesterday that talks have progressed to the point where the trade, although not imminent, could be finalized when the Heat are satisfied O'Neal is healthy enough to help them in their drive for the Eastern Conference playoffs.

How many more games it will take to convince the Heat is unclear, but the sources confirmed talks are nearly completed at the highest levels of each organization.

Raptor officials, citing long-held team rules, would not comment on trade speculation.

O'Neal, according to sources and various Internet reports, has told friends and acquaintances that he expects to be dealt to Miami. League sources tell the Star that nothing is expected to happen in the next 24 or 48 hours and it could be more than a week before any deal is finalized.

The Raptors have a home game against Phoenix today and start a three-game road trip in Atlanta tomorrow; the Heat played last night and today and begin a four-game homestand on Wednesday.

One thing is certain, and that is the Raptors are shopping the 30-year-old O'Neal, who played Friday night for the first time in 10 games in Toronto's loss to the Indiana Pacers after missing nine games with a knee injury.

Posted Image

#2 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:06 PM

If that trade goes down Wade might have a shot at MVP.

Well, if JO stays healthy.
Basketball Reasons...

#3 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

• 3,456 posts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:14 PM

Just like both articles state the deal would work Trade link ESPN

Edited by magicbalala245, January 18, 2009 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image

#4 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:43 PM

Gives Miami a great shot at some good FA's.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#5 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:47 PM

i heard a possiblity of JO for LO and cap filler

Posted Image

#6 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:49 PM

i heard a possiblity of JO for LO and cap filler

I doubt that happens, we have depth at PF.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#7 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:50 PM

i read that it was for JO starting at center because bynums lack of rebounding

Posted Image

#8 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 18, 2009 - 05:00 PM

At this point Lamar is playing better than Jermaine has or probably will this year.

That deal with Miami and Toronto is a win for both teams.

#9 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

• 3,456 posts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 08:11 PM

Now Yahoo! is reporting this deal is close but before it goes down Miami wants to see JO in action for a couple games to decide if they want to do this deal

Article

As Jermaine O’Neal and his troublesome right knee returned to the Toronto lineup on Friday night, perhaps no one studied the Toronto Raptors center more closely than Pat Riley.

The Miami Heat president has been seriously considering a trade package for O’Neal that would send Shawn Marion to Toronto, multiple league sources said. Yet Riley first needs to see O’Neal’s progress before he’ll make the leap of faith on a trade.

Nevertheless, O’Neal, 30, was telling league associates as recently as Friday that he believes there’s a good chance he’ll end up in Miami.

“If he’s healthy,” one source close to O’Neal said Friday, “it could very well happen.”

League executives say that Riley has been determined to make a deal for a center, and has had substantive talks with Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo.

No GM has seemed more determined to overhaul his team than Colangelo, and several league executives say he won’t hesitate to take Marion – whom he drafted in Phoenix – and his expiring $17.1 million contract for O’Neal.

Miami would need to include another player, or two, to make the salaries match. O’Neal makes $21.3 million this season, and has a player’s option for $23 million for the next season.

Colangelo has been willing to move everyone on his roster but Chris Bosh, Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani. In fact, the emergence of Bargnani, the 2006 No. 1 overall pick, has made an even stronger case for moving O’Neal. Before returning to the struggling Raptors on Friday, O’Neal had missed nine straight games with a sore right knee. He’s averaging 14 points and 7.2 rebounds a game.

For Miami, the core choice is difficult: How much does the 7-footer have left in that battered body? The Heat had been believed to be a favored destination for Utah’s Carlos Boozer, but there are increasing questions about Boozer’s appeal because he has knee problems of his own.

Riley “doesn’t seem as interested in cap space this summer,” said a rival executive who exchanged trade proposals with him recently. “He just seems concerned with having space in 2010.”

The Feb. 19 trade deadline is looming.

Guys since JO contract does expire in 2010 and so does Wade do u think what I'm thinking? Wade + LeBron in MIA. Maybe Riley is thinking big with this deal for perhaps LeBron "King" James

Edited by magicbalala245, January 18, 2009 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

#10 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted January 18, 2009 - 08:13 PM

i dont think Lebron would do that. I think that he has made his mind up to play in either the Knicks or Cleveland i think. But who knows how his mind changes in 2 years.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#11 fido

fido

• 10,847 posts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 09:56 PM

1) Wade won't win MVP unless Miami wins the East. With the best record in the NBA being so tight right now, the MVP is going to come down to which team has a better record: Orlando, Cleveland, Boston or L.A.. Whichever team winds up with the best record will also get the MVP (Howard, James, Garnett or Bryant)

2) LeBron is not going to any secondary market no matter what. If he leaves, its New York or Chicago (considering L.A. is not even in the realm of any reality). If he were to go to a secondary market, he'll stay in Cleveland and put pressure on management to bring in bigger sidekicks. (But he's going to New York anyway, so that will be a moot point)

#12 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

• 3,456 posts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 10:04 PM

I don't understand how MIA is a secondary market. Sure it ain't LA, NY, or Chi-Town, but it's a nice place to leave in and a lifestyle of an NBA player. I'm sure he will go if the Heat are will in contending with Wade and a few key role players.
Posted Image

#13 fido

fido

• 10,847 posts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 10:08 PM

In terms of income, viewership, and media are concerned Miami is a secondary market.

It's not some minor market ,but its not one of the big 3. That will come into play with LeBron.

But back to the topic...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users