• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,333 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 18, 2009 - 12:50 PM

The Utah Jazz announced today the decision by Jerry Sloan to return as head coach for the 2009-10 season, which will mark his 22nd season at the helm of the Jazz. “We have been blessed as an organization that Jerry Sloan has been with us as long as he has. Jerry is the standard for hard work and consistency,” said Greg Miller, CEO of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies. “Jerry has brought a level of credibility to the Utah Jazz that nobody else could. I am excited that we'll have Jerry with us through 2010.” Sloan has been Utah’s head coach since assuming the reigns from former head coach Frank Layden on December 9, 1988. The fourth-winningest coach in NBA history (1113-734), Sloan is the longest tenured active coach with one team in major professional sports, and is also the longest tenured head coach in NBA history. Earlier this season Sloan (1019-613 with Jazz) became the first NBA head coach to win 1,000 games with one team, and currently ranks 224 victories ahead of Red Auerbach (second in all-time wins with one team) and 360 wins ahead of San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich (third all-time), the only other active coach in the top five.

http://www.realgm.co...ract_extension/

He's making NBA history with coaching 1 team.

#2 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 18, 2009 - 01:05 PM

Sloan is definitely one of the All-Time greatest coaches. If it weren't for a roadblock named Michael Jordan, the Jazz would have had a few championships under the belt from the past 15 years.

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 18, 2009 - 10:01 PM

He deserves it.

Besides I couldn't picture any other coach other than Sloan on the sidelines in Utah. It just wouldn't look right. The guy is a legendary coach and has earned every accolade, payday or acclaim that's coming his way.

Now all the Jazz have to do is find a suitor for Boozer.

(Those other roadblocks named Jabbar and Johnson didn't help the, much either)

#4 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted January 19, 2009 - 02:11 AM

I'm amazed on how long he's been in Utah. The Jazz are very fortunate to have a coach of his caliber for that long period of time and I have a lot of respect for Jerry Sloan as a coach.

Made By Vaporize

#5 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 20, 2009 - 12:20 AM

Truly a great and consistent coach, but personally, I would think that 22 years without a championship is just too much...

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,874 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 20, 2009 - 01:20 AM

Truly a great and consistent coach, but personally, I would think that 22 years without a championship is just too much...

agreed

him and a lot of other deserving people would probably have one if it wasn't for a mr. michael jordan

Posted Image

#7 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:30 AM

I don't like the Michael Jordan excuse. You are either champions or you aren't, not this "well they would've been champions if it wasn't for so-and-so." 2 finals in 22 years. I respect the guy as a coach, but I personally think they should be looking elsewhere. That's if they want championships though. If the Utah franchise is content with just having 40-50 wins a season and falling short some time in the playoffs, then Sloan is a good choice.

#8 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 21, 2009 - 04:22 AM

In fairness to Sloan, Utah's championship roster consist of Malone (old), Stockton (old), Hornacek (old) and nothing much...

Sorry, but when your starting center during the Finals are the likes of Adam Keefe and Greg Ostertag (I'll take Kwame over both combined), that is a huge problem...

Edited by Avtomat Kalashnikov, January 21, 2009 - 04:23 AM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#9 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 21, 2009 - 06:10 PM

He deserves it.

Besides I couldn't picture any other coach other than Sloan on the sidelines in Utah. It just wouldn't look right. The guy is a legendary coach and has earned every accolade, payday or acclaim that's coming his way.

Now all the Jazz have to do is find a suitor for Boozer.

(Those other roadblocks named Jabbar and Johnson didn't help the, much either)

Agree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users