• Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:33 PM

Check the 3 point shooting of our opponents

Orlando shot: 12/28
Spurs shot : 10/20
Rockets shot: 6/14
Miami shot: 9/23
Indiana shot: 11/31

In the last 5 games we've given up 9.6 threes per game and opponents are shooting 41.4%.

A championship caliber team must be able to defend the 3 and until we get this fixed, opponents are gonna exploit us and we're gonna lose games.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:41 PM

Championship caliber teams don't usually give up 100 a game either
:unsure:

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:45 PM

When you don't rotate correctly on defense (due to doubles caused by Fisher's lack of quickness/brains and Gasol's softness), when your transition defense is absent, and when you are giving the shooters five feet of room because you'd rather not get your ankles blown off on a drive, you're going to give up 400 wide-open threes per game.

#4 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:50 PM

When you don't rotate correctly on defense (due to doubles caused by Fisher's lack of quickness/brains and Gasol's softness), when your transition defense is absent, and when you are giving the shooters five feet of room because you'd rather not get your ankles blown off on a drive, you're going to give up 400 wide-open threes per game.

the truth will out

it is not the 3 it is the penetration that is leading to 3s

i thought to myself after the san antonio game if they beat us essentially driving and kicking what are orlando and cleveland going to do to us

well we got our orlando answer now we have cleveland
Posted Image

#5 tru'tildeath

tru'tildeath

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:chick hearn

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:56 PM

more focus

#6 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted January 17, 2009 - 12:17 AM

Yeah our defense is retarded.

But seriously what Pis ses me off the most is how we RELY on the perimeter jumper sooo much more
than driving to the basket with higher percentage shots!!!!
Posted Image

#7 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 17, 2009 - 10:15 AM

You have no idea how many times I've yelled at my TV to tell our defense to rotate out to the other team's 3pt shooters, pisses me the [expletive] off.

#8 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted January 17, 2009 - 08:38 PM

While I would agree... defending the three is a weakness of this team. Its a pretty common theme for most teams.

zombies.jpg

#9 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 18, 2009 - 02:30 AM

VladRad has to be the most brain dead defender..
He honestly leaves his man out to dry on many occasions, his defensive rotation is terrible.

#10 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted January 18, 2009 - 09:30 AM

Very accurate, except the exaggeration at the end of course. But, Fisher isn't the only weakness triggering the disorganized rotations. Even Kobe gets burnt off simple high screens for jumpers, get's his ankles bent on drives, zones the paint when no one is even there leaving hot 3 point shooters open.

And the high screen and roll that brings the center out top badly exposes our rotations and soft zone, eventually causing our guys to get lost on recovering to their men, often having 2 of our guys ending up on one and leaving the other alone.

And we zone the box too deep from 3 pt. shooters in the corners, rarely getting back in time to challenge because of it, rarely having any impact from the zone anyways. Like a double whammy.

We always double instead of picking our spots wisely.

Our defense is basically a big mess. But the good news is, it improves radically with Trevor guarding the fast point guards(Fisher does fine on stronger slower guards), but against faster guards we can field a good defensive lineup with Trevor, Kobe, LO, Powell and Drew or Pau. All we have to do is get the coach to have an epiphany, and realize he's got to break his man love relationship with veterans(Fisher.)

And I'm not trying to be highly critical of Derek, he's a stand up guy who has plenty to offer against teams he matches up better against. But against teams with fast guards who can shoot or drive, that's a bad matchup for him and it's not wise to play him in those situations. Phil Jackson is completely wrong about trying to mangle the rest of the teams game to shore up his weakness.

#11 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 19, 2009 - 10:36 AM

Our perimeter defense sucks. Kobe's perim defense is overrated, and Fish has always been atrocious. Don't get me started on Luke and Radman.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users