#21 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted January 16, 2009 - 05:49 PM

Oh my, he's not perfect!!!!

Some folks just have too much time on their hands.

#22 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 16, 2009 - 06:13 PM

Someone didn't pay much attention to Michael Jordan, then. Jordan's game-winners, and most of his scoring in the fourth, was him netting jumper, after jumper, after jumper.

#23 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted January 16, 2009 - 06:21 PM

His penetration is great. His will to penetrate though is so-so.

Well Said.

Kobe has zero problems getting to the rim if he wanted too,
he just has been settling for the outside jumper too much as of late
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#24 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 16, 2009 - 06:32 PM

sometimes, the play doesnt call for penetration and the lane is usually crowded. Plus when kobe dribbles 1 or more defenders are going to "zone" his way usually.
Damn why do peole always wanna improve a guy thats so great, do you think he can actually become a better player, because at this point I don't
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#25 jackmode211

jackmode211

Rookie

• 452 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 16, 2009 - 07:46 PM

"i've seen kobe drive more during 4th quarter. especially if it's a close game. and if he wants to get to the stripe. however on the last play, he'll choose to shoot because or else you'll get bumped, hacked and grabbed on the last play if you drive. and you never get the call if you choose to drive on the last play"

agreed...we just seen ariza get this the last game....

kobe can drive anytime he wants to....but he does have 2 seven footers clogging the lane...

#26 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:17 PM

with about 3 minutes left, Kobe drove right by Lee, got mugged by Howard and lee and fell down, no call

there's a reason why he doesn't drive much

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#27 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:19 PM

with about 3 minutes left, Kobe drove right by Lee, got mugged by Howard and lee and fell down, no call

I don't think thats why. If it was it would make more sense for him to drive more often so that he could have a legitimate argument to the league.
Basketball Reasons...

#28 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:34 PM

like they'd listen to him. come on. In the 05/06 they reviewed a play where he threw a supposed "elbow' and a week later they go back to the video, find it and fine him.

Edited by MDI, January 16, 2009 - 10:34 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#29 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:51 PM

lebron james 23

jordan 23

kobe 23

drives to basket

kobe 30

MJ 30

more jumpshots fewer drives

fact

the MJ you speak of is 29 and under

at around 30 MJ became probably the most deadly mid-range player in the game and relied on it more

kobes issue is his love of the 3 the midrange game is fine though because if he cut down the 3s he would shoot 50% its the 3s

lebron in 6 or 7 years will do the same thing

its called preserving your career
Posted Image

#30 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:55 PM

Someone didn't pay much attention to Michael Jordan, then. Jordan's game-winners, and most of his scoring in the fourth, was him netting jumper, after jumper, after jumper.

i dont know why people get this notion MJ in the fourth drove in over and over again

for those of us who watched him know MJ was the most deadly jump shooter in NBA history in the 4th quarter

in the 4th MJ ran almost exclusively in the post and face-up from mid-range which ended in mostly jumpers which fell

but every now and then those jumpers didn't fall and paxson, kerr, scottie made up for it

well fisher, lamar, pau didn't tonight

hence we lost
Posted Image

#31 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:55 PM

Late in games, it's harder to get calls, which is why you will even see a guy like Lebron settle for a jumper at the end.

By the way, this game against Orlando sucked.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#32 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 16, 2009 - 10:58 PM

i saw somebody said it but the truth of the matter is percentage wise refs don't call game ending fouls

if you got the stat i'm sure its well below 5% the amount of times they decide a game on fouls

MJ, kobe both know this

and stop giving me this lebron crap because hes 23 of course he can relentlessly go to the hoop

for those who remember kobe at 23 was the same thing except relied a slight bit more on the jumper but kobe was furious going to the rim

lebron in 6 or 7 years will learn you can't play a whole career that way

kobe learned and so did MJ and so will lebron
Posted Image

#33 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:32 PM

like they'd listen to him. come on. In the 05/06 they reviewed a play where he threw a supposed "elbow' and a week later they go back to the video, find it and fine him.

That's a piss poor attitude tho. It would make more sense to at least try instead of assuming they won't listen, which would eliminate any possibility of them looking into it altogether.
Basketball Reasons...

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,533 posts

Posted January 16, 2009 - 11:52 PM

That's a piss poor attitude tho. It would make more sense to at least try instead of assuming they won't listen, which would eliminate any possibility of them looking into it altogether.

there must be a reason guys like kobe and MJ always settle for jumpers in big situations

you drive in there is traffic and the refs allow more contact

a jumper is safer and when you have a mid range jumper like kobe or MJ its probably the best course of action
Posted Image

#35 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,378 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted January 17, 2009 - 02:16 AM

I think Kobe drives far more than previous seasons...

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Soul Smooth

#36 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 17, 2009 - 04:58 AM

No offence.. But you posting this thread is what stinks..

I don't think you understand but Kobe 'Jellybean' Bryant isn't as young as he was.
He doesn't get up as high on his dunks and his speed has decreased considerably although he is still quicker then most guards.

If it was Lebron James, he would have attacked the rim for a monster jam

- Its much easier for Lebron to attack the rim.. He is still in his young 20's. As someone else pointed out, Lebron does settle for jumpshots at the end of the game. Also, Lebron is stronger, has a longer wing span and more athletic then Kobe was in his younger days. It's why Lebron gets more points in the paint then on jumpers.

Kobe is too slow even during his younger days.

- Kobe was killing everyone in his younger days, crossing people over and getting into the paint at will... slow? I think you should go on youtube friend.

He's not as great a slasher as Jordan, not even as good a clutch player as Jordan. He always settles for jump shots, what was that?

- In my mind he was on Jordan's level as far as clutch goes. Kobe has no fear, no hesitation. Something a lot of players still need to learn to be as clutch.

- Regarding the always taking jumpshots in the clutch, im pretty positive on saying that in the final minute of a game when Chicago needed a score, most of Mike's shots that he took in the clutch were jumpshots also. So why hate on Kobe for taking them?

3 reasons why Kobe can't penetrate into the lane as good as you expect him to:

1. He doesn't has the hops he once did. Its what so many seasons in the NBA does to you.
Kobe is not the slasher he was when he was throwing down 180's in the lane in traffic or windmill's from one side of the bucket to the other.

2. His speed and lateral quickness has declined. Again its what happens to athletes as they get old.
Kobe isn't old in normal standards but his leg explosiveness is declining, and i saw this last season also.

3. His will to penetrate has been lowered because he understands this. MJ at the end of his career settled for a lot of jumpshots. I'm sure you've all heard about MJ bumping up his game and working on his shooting at the later stages of his career. He didn't drive as much either.

The one thing that many have failed to understand is, Kobe's not the same Kobe that won the 3 peat with Shaq. Plenty of people compare him to what he was in the 3 peat or even his 05-06 season. He isn't as explosive as he once was, his hops and quickness has declined making it harder for him to penetrate.

Its as simple as that.
Sorry for the long rant, but it angers me when people can't use their head and understand why and blame Kobe for something he has no control over. Age is apart of life.

#37 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,378 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted January 17, 2009 - 05:53 AM

^ nuff said

In Kobe's case, age is not a concern. As I said before, I'll take the current, experienced, polished, clutch, patient, unselfish Kobe over the past explosive, selfish and un-experienced young Kobe any day, any time !

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Soul Smooth

#38 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 17, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Stop it with the conspiracy theories. He gets 7 FTA's a game while Chris Paul who drives MORE than Kobe gets right under 7 at 6.8, Wade gets 10 because he drives WAY more than Kobe, Lebron gets 9 FTA a game because he too drives way more than Kobe, yet the attempts aren't THAT much more.

There is NO conspiracy against Kobe. Stop making things up. We're not victims. Just stop it.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#39 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted January 17, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Its not a conspiracy theory. Its pretty damn obvious the man doesn't get the respect like other elite perimeter players

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#40 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 17, 2009 - 09:55 AM

Its not a conspiracy theory. Its pretty damn obvious the man doesn't get the respect like other elite perimeter players

Use FACTS to back up your claim. For somebody that drives way less than Lebron, he gets less than 2 fewer FT attempts. You drive more, you get more.

Your claims are just coming from a biased fan who will see that we should get every call. In reality, Kobe's being treated fine.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users