• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#21 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Its not like he's trying and coming up short...its just that he's not trying hard at all on working the glass thats so disappointing

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#22 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:45 PM

1. He's not even filled out his body yet. He can't do that in season. He needs an offseason to do that.

2. Playing beside Pau is new and has taken major adjustment for both. In Phil's system, he's switching them...but they don't have the same skillsets. Bynum does not equal Pau does not equal Bynum.

3. Money doesn't equal immediate results. They didn't pay him because he's a consistent AllStar player. They paid because he will BECOME a consistent AllStar player.

Most importantly, Bynum needs to concentrate on one thing this year - DEFENSE. He's out there trying to be a scorer in the paint and it's taking him away from the basket, away from rebounds, out of the play. When the rest of the league sends out a major memo to their post players to keep Bynum off the glass, 1 foot out of position is near IMPOSSIBLE to rebound from. Even when he's in position, I've seen them push him further under the basket or just keep a body on him to neutralize his elevation. He has plenty help "missing" those rebounds.

I'm not defending Bynum. I'm just not concerned yet. He's making strides on his post moves, fts, man-to-man defense and stamina. He's also getting up to game speed, slowly but surely. He needs this year to get comfortable and work on his body. He needs this year to get back to last year's form. If he's still putting up duds next year, I'll lead this "witch-hunt"....that's a promise.

Until then, IMHO, you're wasting your time with the in-depth analysis. THe name of the game is "progression". This is a marathon, not a sprint. Bynum has another 10 years left to wow you and your children. Sit back and enjoy.

#23 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:53 PM

I've just about had enough of this. Bynum has had four games this month with 6 or lower rebounds. Considering the amount of money he gets paid to do his job, I find that disgusting.

Here's me 3 days ago:

Yea like someone pointed out, Bynum just needs more touches, we're not utilizing him to be the best he can be.

Either way, his rebounding numbers recently are disgusting. Bynum should be gobbling up rebounds no matter what, it's not like he's just playing 10 minutes a game.

I agree with you 100%

I like Bynum, I really think he will become a great player, but I'm not blind. I can easily see that he plays with not enough energy. He just doesn't have that "fire" or "heart" to just go out there and get all those "[expletive]ing"-Woops- rebounds.

lolol

#24 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:54 PM

1. He's not even filled out his body yet. He can't do that in season. He needs an offseason to do that.

2. Playing beside Pau is new and has taken major adjustment for both. In Phil's system, he's switching them...but they don't have the same skillsets. Bynum does not equal Pau does not equal Bynum.

3. Money doesn't equal immediate results. They didn't pay him because he's a consistent AllStar player. They paid because he will BECOME a consistent AllStar player.

Most importantly, Bynum needs to concentrate on one thing this year - DEFENSE. He's out there trying to be a scorer in the paint and it's taking him away from the basket, away from rebounds, out of the play. When the rest of the league sends out a major memo to their post players to keep Bynum off the glass, 1 foot out of position is near IMPOSSIBLE to rebound from. Even when he's in position, I've seen them push him further under the basket or just keep a body on him to neutralize his elevation. He has plenty help "missing" those rebounds.

I'm not defending Bynum. I'm just not concerned yet. He's making strides on his post moves, fts, man-to-man defense and stamina. He's also getting up to game speed, slowly but surely. He needs this year to get comfortable and work on his body. He needs this year to get back to last year's form. If he's still putting up duds next year, I'll lead this "witch-hunt"....that's a promise.

Until then, IMHO, you're wasting your time with the in-depth analysis. THe name of the game is "progression". This is a marathon, not a sprint. Bynum has another 10 years left to wow you and your children. Sit back and enjoy.

No one is expecting him to be an All-Star player. We just expect him to get more than 1 rebound in 27 minutes.
Basketball Reasons...

#25 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,653 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 13, 2009 - 08:58 PM

^that is NOT too much to ask from someone his size...hell, 8-10 isn't too much to ask for someone his size to be honest, i don't care how old he is

Posted Image

#26 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:03 PM

I've just about had enough of this. Bynum has had four games this month with 6 or lower rebounds. Considering the amount of money he gets paid to do his job, I find that disgusting. I mean, take tonights game for example, he got ONE rebound, and this ONE rebound fell to him. He barely had to jump. His rebounding has just been uninspiring, there are players that are a foot smaller than him that get more rebounds than him.

I mean if Bynum is going to be pathetic on the offensive end (scores points but takes too many shots to get those points), then the least he could do is contribute on the defensive and rebounding end. But no, he continues to put in Kwame like rebounding performances. I consider defensive rebounding part of defense, and I can't call him a good defender unless he does a decent job of pulling down the boards.

There is no way that Bynum is a top 5 center in this league when he can't do better than that.

Of course, court Bynum will come out to defend him right here, but hopefully some unbias fans can give their true opinions on this. Honestly, if Kwame was putting in these sorts of rebounding performances, he would be DESTROYED by our fans.

What do you think about this?

(by the way, sorry to bring up a negative after a win).

EDIT FOR STAT I FIGURED OUT: INTERESTING STAT:

Bynum averages 6.1 rebounds per game for the whole of this month so far, less than what Mihm did as a starter pre-injury.

You've had just about enough? Too bad you're not the coach, you'd sure show everybody. The Lakers won tonight. Not good enough for you apparently. No wonder we're called "Faker" fans.

I'm agreeing with you one hundred percent on this one. Good analysis.

#27 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:04 PM

I have nothing to say about the topic other than I lolled at the thread title

#28 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Why attack DB? He pointed some facts and gets baited :rolleyes:
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#29 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,653 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:06 PM

You've had just about enough? Too bad you're not the coach, you'd sure show everybody. The Lakers won tonight. Not good enough for you apparently. No wonder we're called "Faker" fans.

just because someone doesn't accept playing far beneath their potential does not make them any less a fan than anyone else. if anything, its the more die hard fans that truly know basketball that are willing to openly critique their team, and find room for improvement. the real fans do not want to be disappointed in june again, and we realize this lakers machine needs some fine tuning. being ok with barely winning regular season games against short handed teams (shorthanded yourself or not) is setting yourself up for failure when it truly counts. if you think we're going to win the championship playing like this, you're sadly mistaken.

Posted Image

#30 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:13 PM

I hate when people play the "you're not the coach" or "I'm sure Kobe knows his game better than any of us fans do" card. Last time I checked this is a forum, which means it stays alive and active if people actually share thoughts. If your feelings get hurt from someone speaking truth then I guess that makes you a fake person.

Fake can't recognize real.
Basketball Reasons...

#31 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Real Talk Game505.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#32 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:19 PM

I'll quote L4L who's a stats genius regarding Andrew

He posted this after last week's GS game

The 11 boards were weak. He still got out-rebounded by Biedrins. The thing about Drew last year was the % of boards he was snatching... It was incredible.

Last year he grabbed 19.6% of the boards available and this year he is down to 16% (average game has about 83 +/- 3 rebounds). He is currently 35th in that category after virtually tieing for 4th last year.

In my opinion, that has been the single biggest decline in his game. I mean, ya, the loss of efficiency and points hurt, but if he was rebounding the way he used to... This team would be hands down the most unstoppable force in the league. Per 48 minutes, Andrew currently averages +0.8 net boards over his center counter-parts. Last year, that number was at 3.3 which is really a staggering difference.

I don't fully get it; I'm not sure the reasons for the decline. I think he's lost some of his energy, passion, and he is certainly focusing on other things. He isn't as aggressive and he isn't as explosive (though it has certainly improved since the beginning of the year). He doesn't seem comfortable with Pau (at times) nor his role on the team. For a while things seemed to be turning upwards, but he hit a rough stretch immediately following the hot streak.

I'm not quite sure what is up with Drew. The injury may have caused more damage than initially let on.

Edited by MDI, January 13, 2009 - 09:19 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#33 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:21 PM

Bynum can have all the pathetic games he wants, as long as we get the W, I don't really give a damn. Oh, I agree with everything GCMD mentioned a few posts back.

#34 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:23 PM

Bynum can have all the pathetic games he wants, as long as we get the W, I don't really give a damn. Oh, I agree with everything GCMD mentioned a few posts back.

but L.a.k.e.r Andrew plays the most important position by default. We need him to have good games or we're not gonna win anything

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#35 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:24 PM

He definitely needs to get his head screwed on right. It probably still has to do with the knee. When you injure you rknee, you psychologically try to avoid contact. He needs to overcome this eventually.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#36 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:29 PM

He definitely needs to get his head screwed on right. It probably still has to do with the knee. When you injure you rknee, you psychologically try to avoid contact. He needs to overcome this eventually.

This. If anything, Andrew still hasn't overcome his psychological hurdles after injuring his knee, which is why he isn't as aggresive when attacking the boards.

but L.a.k.e.r Andrew plays the most important position by default. We need him to have good games or we're not gonna win anything

I understand that, but lakerfool and GCMD's analysis' were right on. Bynum is probably having problems understanding his role on the team, not yet into the flow of things coming back from that huge injury, and still has to overcome his mental hurdles. He still is a VERY young guy, and an scars from an injury like that will take time to heal. We've got to be patient with him.

#37 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:31 PM

I don't understand, how hard is going after the ball? lol.

Btw did y'all see the way he outran Yao down the court and got a dunk? I don't remember Andrew hustling like that to get back on defense.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#38 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:36 PM

I don't understand, how hard is going after the ball? lol.

Btw did y'all see the way he outran Yao down the court and got a dunk? I don't remember Andrew hustling like that to get back on defense.

It's somewhat tough when you have to worry about guys forcing you out of position for the rebound. This may also play to his mental hurdle, where he might be afraid of landing on someone underneath, which is why he doesn't sky up for the boards like before. That doesn't excuse a measly 1 rebound performance though, but we got the W tonight, and that's all that matters at the end.

I agree, he should have focused more on the defensive end, but Yao was just torching him tonight (And anyone that was on him).

#39 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:36 PM

i will say this bynum being here has lead to pau rebounding a lot more

i have noticed a lot of double box outs and a concerted effort to keep bynum off the glass therefore pau is grabbing more boards

look i would love for drew to pull down 15 a game but with gasol rebounding really well right now and kobe, ariza, lamar getting in on the action its not to inconceivable that drews rebounding would drop
Posted Image

#40 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 13, 2009 - 09:42 PM

also people underestimate the amount of time it takes to get back from a serious injury which this was seen as he was out for what 8 months

it takes a full year for most athletes once they start playing again to get back into the flow of things

like i've said before the work ethic is there this injury was a setback to his career now he needs to climb back to where he was and then progress from there

he has the work ethic and the ability i am fully confident he will get there barring any major injuries

by the way i have noticed his best rebounding games this season were his best offensive games. maybe he rebounds when hes involved.

maybe we need to accept hes not like marcus camby or tyson chandler who are content with just blocking shots and grabbing rebounds maybe we need to realize the guy is more of a player who plays great both ways when involved much like a pau gasol or al jefferson
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users